Go to Ultimatecarpage.com

Go Back   Ultimatecarpage.com forums > Automotive forums > Racing forums

Old 06-21-2010, 11:52 AM
Fanatic

Southeast US
"While Team Felbermayr-Proton took the checkered flag, its drivers Marc Lieb, Richard Lietz and Wolf Henzler celebrated on the top step of the GT2 podium, their win may not hold up.

The Automobile Club de l’Ouest informed teams late last week that the GT2 results from the 78th Le Mans 24 Hours remain provisional, pending further tests to the top two placing cars in class.

The race-winning No. 77 Porsche and the runner-up No. 89 Hankook Team Farnbacher Ferrari appeared to have cleared initial technical inspection post-race, but the ACO confirmed the car's engines are undergoing additional checks.

A final ruling isn’t expected until early next month. If both cars end up being excluded, it would promote the third-place finishing No. 97 BMS Scuderia Italia Porsche of Richard Westbrook, Timo Scheider and Marco Holzer to the class win.

It’s unclear what the exact issue could be, but the ACO and FIA have been known to spend additional time analyzing components from top-placing cars before finalizing the results. There's no definitive indication that both cars could be thrown out of the race."

AUTO-RACING - LM24: GT2 Results Not Final - SPEEDtv.com
Old 06-22-2010, 05:58 PM
Enthusiast

Wishing I was in Moscow, Idaho
I still think Scuderia Italia Porsche sounds like an oxymoron. But I'm not really expecting a change here, they tend to do this a lot, don't they?

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis
Old 06-24-2010, 04:11 AM
Fanatic

Modena
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
I still think Scuderia Italia Porsche sounds like an oxymoron. But I'm not really expecting a change here, they tend to do this a lot, don't they?
They used to race the Ferrari 550 Maranello...developed by Prodrive.
Then they raced the Aston Martin DBR9, again from Prodrive.
The best team was Team Modena though, who run a DBR9...

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*
Old 07-08-2010, 08:14 PM
Fanatic

Perth, Australia
Looks like Peugoet have officially said they pushed too hard.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:51 PM
Supporting Member

Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimento View Post
Looks like Peugoet have officially said they pushed too hard.
it is not the complete story. What they also did was injecting more diesel fuel to reach higher performance. And so did Audi, as can be witnessed from the trail of exhaust fumes coming from both cars. The particulate filters could not really cope with the amount of fuel burned. It is not for nothing that in spite further restrictions, the cars were still faster than last year.
Apparently Peugeot overestimated the speed that Audi could maintain, and therefore kept on pushing right from the start. A more cautious strategy, staying with the Audis and running away from them on the 23rd hour, would possibly have been more successful.

Tags
le mans