Go to Ultimatecarpage.com

Go Back   Ultimatecarpage.com forums > Automotive forums > Racing forums

Old 11-17-2009, 05:28 AM
Furniture

Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
Autosport reports Button is very close on signing a deal with McLaren.
So, at McLaren next year, Button nș1 and Hamilton nș2?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
Why exactly have Merc chosen Brawn over McLaren as the flagship team? McLaren have some historical consistency while Brawn just have Ross and a first season WCC/WDC thanks to new and unclear rules.
Probably because they'll be able to do whatever they want with Brawn, which they couldn't with McLaren. And the team isn't bvad either.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:47 AM
Supporting Admin

Rozenburg
Send a message via MSN to Wouter Melissen
Brawn will cost them a fraction of McLaren's price.
If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)
Old 11-17-2009, 05:47 AM
Fanatic

Modena
Quote:
Haug already has a German. I though Mercedes were also available outside of Germany.
AFAIK they want two of them.

Quote:
Why exactly have Merc chosen Brawn over McLaren as the flagship team? McLaren have some historical consistency while Brawn just have Ross and a first season WCC/WDC thanks to new and unclear rules.
McLaren was willing to gain once again a bit of independence from MB, Brawn was surely cheaper and easier to handle too (as Ferrer pointed out).

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*
Old 11-17-2009, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator

St Marys Western Sydney
Send a message via MSN to fpv_gtho
Officially its because McLaren want to compete with Mercedes in the road car market.

Unofficially, take your pick: FIA targeting Dennis; Spiegate; Liegate; McLaren group unwilling to sell them more of the team; Questions over management capability; McLaren want to compete with Mercedes in the road car market.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:50 AM
Furniture

Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
Officially its because McLaren want to compete with Mercedes in the road car market.

Unofficially, take your pick: FIA targeting Dennis; Spiegate; Liegate; McLaren group unwilling to sell them more of the team; Questions over management capability; McLaren want to compete with Mercedes in the road car market.
Or maybe all of the above...
Old 11-17-2009, 05:53 AM
Supporting Member

Rozenburg, Holland
is the value of the McLaren shares that MB will sell higher than the Brawn acquisition cost?
Old 11-17-2009, 06:32 AM
Fanatic

Modena
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
is the value of the McLaren shares that MB will sell higher than the Brawn acquisition cost?
I'd suppose yes, also because we are talking about the same percentage in both teams, 40-ish %.
Even if Brawn just won both titles, I doubt they are valued as much as McLaren.

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*
Old 11-17-2009, 06:40 AM
Supporting Member

Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
I'd suppose yes, also because we are talking about the same percentage in both teams, 40-ish %.
so this is actually a good deal for MB, also financially.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:44 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
I don't see it as a smart move if you are basing the investment on fundamentals (who does that anymore ). Brawn had a very lucky season with the diffuser controversy. If I were Merc I'd stay with McLaren because of proven consistency. The value of the investment at McLaren will be worth more because Brawn has a higher percentage of blowing up in this volatile economy. Considering, also, that teams with out lines of cash are dropping like flies. Brawn is junk McLaren is AAA.

Brawn has higher return potential but McLaren is the safer bet.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:45 AM
Supporting Admin

Rozenburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
so this is actually a good deal for MB, also financially.
Yes unless Brawn can't come up with a good car now that he actually focused on racing for a season. McLaren and Ferrari have suffered this year as a result of their title chase from a season earlier. Having done nothing but field two cars in 2008, Honda/Brawn had a full season to prepare for the new regulations.
If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)
Old 11-17-2009, 06:48 AM
Furniture

Barcelona
Quote:
I don't see it as a smart move if you are basing the investment on fundamentals (who does that anymore ). Brawn had a very lucky season with the diffuser controversy. If I were Merc I'd stay with McLaren because of proven consistency. The value of the investment at McLaren will be worth more because Brawn has a higher percentage of blowing up in this volatile economy. Considering, also, that teams with out lines of cash are dropping like flies. Brawn is junk McLaren is AAA.

Brawn has higher return potential but McLaren is the safer bet.
I doubt Daimler values their investment purely from a financial point of view only. As fpv_gtho points put there other reasons that have made Daimler decided to leave McLaren and invest in Brawn.

Also they'll get greater exposure now since the team will be a full fledged Mercedes-Benz one now, instead of a McLaren Mercedes.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:49 AM
Furniture

Barcelona
Quote:
Yes unless Brawn can't come up with a good car now that he actually focused on racing for a season. McLaren and Ferrari have suffered this year as a result of their title chase from a season earlier. Having done nothing but field two cars in 2008, Honda/Brawn had a full season to prepare for the new regulations.
Apparently the relative lack of performance mid-season was because since the car was so good they started developping the 2010 car. Then at the end they made a final push with the 2009 car just to secure both titles.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:50 AM
Supporting Admin

Rozenburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
Apparently the relative lack of performance mid-season was because since the car was so good they started developping the 2010 car. Then at the end they made a final push with the 2009 car just to secure both titles.
Ah, I always thought that was down to the poor ability of its championship leading driver ...

(Ted Joans)
Old 11-17-2009, 06:55 AM
Enthusiast

So who are the Brawn drivers going to be? Jenson (possibly) joins Hamilton & Co. Rubinho with Williams. All the decent drivers are taken; Kimi won't go to Brawn over compensation. What's the investment for Merc worth if the drivers are shit?
Old 11-17-2009, 06:59 AM
Supporting Admin

Rozenburg
Rosberg and perhaps Heidfeld.

(Ted Joans)