Thread: Jimmie Johnson Makes it Five in a Row

Jimmie Johnson Makes it Five in a Row

There are two titans that I can think of at the top level of car racing in the world right now - one is Sebastian Loeb, and the other is Jimmie Johnson.

JJ won his 5th Sprint Cup title in a row today. He is 35 years old. I am not a follower of NASCAR, but it seems to me that JJ always stays in the hunt during the year and then during the Chase for the Cup (basically the playoffs for those unacquainted with NASCAR), he smokes it.

This year, JJ he entered the last race of the season second in points to Toyota driver Denny Hamlin, who had the chance to be the first driver to win the championship of the top level of NASCAR in a car run by a non-American company. He failed. Jimmie Johnson (who drives a Chevy) finished in 2nd, while Hamlin could only manage 14th.

Say what you want about NASCAR, its boring its easy (it isn't), you hate it, whatever - I think JJ deserves some respect for his accomplishments.

I agree. Any time there is a sport with a person this dominate over this amount of time, respect must be given.

His 2nd place finish also meant I won my Nascar fantasy league.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Considering how competitive NASCAR is and how closely the cars are made to be, to win 5 in a row is insane. Whats more is Johnson is one the least stereo-typical NASCAR driver, which is also a reason why he doesn't endear himself that much to the core NASCAR fan(probably also contributed to the declined viewership, only thing that might help with that is to let Dale Jr. win every race... )

This year is probably one of the hardest for Johnson also since half way through the year they changed the "Car of Tomorrow" from a wing car to a spoiler car, so somewhat took the corner stone of part of his past titles machine and forced him to start over. Hendricks Motorsport arguably was the best sorted COT cars during the wing era, and they got back to the groove after a few races and was right in the thick of it once the chase started. Then they faced the first time to go into the decider as a underdog and raced to win. Very impressive indeed...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Dale Jr.'s support always blew my mind. Dale Jr. is not Dale Sr. The fact that many people cheer for him simply because he is the son of their favourite driver is frustrating to me.

Maybe if you asked his fans why they cheered for him they'd say it wasn't just because he is Dale Sr.'s son, but I'd doubt it.

Jimmie Johnson Makes it Five in a Row

It's the good ol' boy attitude. "dat der Dale junia worked his ass off just like poppy did. Dose der faggots Gordon n Johnson r rich yanks"

Basically you need a southern accent and some semblance of a beard or beer gut
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

He is merely average, and there are a lot of average driver in NASCAR. And yet people cheer him on like crazy. Whenever he takes the lead people stand up and watch. It unbelievable....Whats crazier is people boo other driver who is NOT Jr....and who are clearly much better drivers.....and then there is the beer can toss in Talledega....

I have a lot of respect for the driver and the engineering going into a NASCAR operation, but their fan is still as stereo typical as you think it is....what that stereo type it is I'll let you figure it out....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    He is merely average, and there are a lot of average driver in NASCAR. And yet people cheer him on like crazy. Whenever he takes the lead people stand up and watch. It unbelievable....Whats crazier is people boo other driver who is NOT Jr....and who are clearly much better drivers.....and then there is the beer can toss in Talledega....

I have a lot of respect for the driver and the engineering going into a NASCAR operation, but their fan is still as stereo typical as you think it is....what that stereo type it is I'll let you figure it out....
    Is he even average? I would wager he's had a great car underneath him all these years (sponsorship coin), and barring 2003, 2004, and 2006 when he finished 3rd, 5th, and 5th in the standings, he hasn't done anything amazing really. He's with Hendrick now, and he has not really done anything. They are the best outfit going for those that don't know.

Then again, 5th and higher is pretty impressive in a sport as competitive as this, and I don't really know what I am talking about.

I never liked the Chase. It devalues the title, IMO.
    But JJ still is a heck of a driver and has been the class of the field for quite a while.
    Would it be possible, to play forever?
    The conclusion reached was that a player is inevitably doomed to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Homem de Gelo View Post
    I never liked the Chase. It devalues the title, IMO.
    But JJ still is a heck of a driver and has been the class of the field for quite a while.
    I don't like the chase either. It doesn't conform to the history of racing where the whole season counts. No less, I'd say it'd be unlikely for anyone outside the top 12 in the last few races to catch up anyways.

I think its moot to complain anyway, AFAIK none of the chase champions are from the bottom of the list going into the chase. Its unlikely that if you just squeaks by into the chase, that you can all of a sudden turn it around and become a Top 5 guy for the 12 races and be contending. If you can do it your would be doing it in regular season anyway....They need to have a road course in the chase though....they already have a restrictor plate race and that is a toss up, might as well add another....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Thread Information