Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Nextel Allstar Race

Quote Originally Posted by Daz27
    To be honest I dont see the fuss in team orders... If you can help your team mate, assuming youre not the one fighting for a title or race and he is, then do it... if you get told to let him through, then do it, they are paying you after all...
    I dunno about that both coling bond and john bowe when asked about the same thing would they let their boss (in this case allan moffat and dick johnson)through they both answerd hes paying me to do a job....and thats a mentality thatll keep a person in a job sadly.
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

Well, the trick is to be the one thats in front in points... if your behind your team mate and its coming to the business end of the season then why wouldnt ya help your team mate... Unless your names Juan Pablo Montoya then I guess you wouldnt... Id have no probs helpin out as best I could, but id expect it to be reciprocated if the situation was reversed.
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

Quote Originally Posted by PrevlingPushrod
    Of course, Brites. Show me a F1 race that has over 450,000 people at the track and over 2 million people watching the race on t.v. I don't think you will.
    The total global audience for each F1 race is close to that of the Olymipcs or World Cup, every two weeks or so.

Apparently at one of the European GP's in 1997 2 million people attended the circuit.

In contrast to F1's 4 or 5 hours of live coverage at prime times over a weekend (which is a major achievement for any motoring related subject in the UK ), NASCAR gets 1/2 an hour (including advert breaks) at 3am on a weekday, that was untill they replaced it with some "gameshow".

Why do people insist that because NASCAR has more "racing" than F1 it is the best motorsport?

Claiming that NASCAR is better than F1 is a bit like saying eating tissue paper is better than eating newspaper; neither are that great.

There are many other succulent and juicy race series out there, they just don't get any coverage.
    Thanks for all the fish

OMG!!!!

Seriously,.....

1st of all and because Americans have a boner for torque,F1 cars have no torque because it's only a 2.4L engine.Torque is directly propotional to displacement.

Then,there's the driving skills thing,which is a complete joke.European drivers(which are far better than American drivers and that's a FACT) chose ChampCar,ALMS or IRL(if they only think of the money).So Nascar has probably the worst drivers in professional racing in America.
    Colin McRae once did a Nascar race and finished 6th....just think of it.

An IRL car is not faster than a F1 car.Not in a straight line and not anywhere...

Also,only in France there are more than 4 million people TV viewers every race...

I don't know why people think F1 is boring.There are the best drivers in the world and the best manufacturers battling for the win.There aren't crazy overtakings but I don't think there more in a DTM or WTCC race.
    Last edited by Max Power; 06-06-2006 at 06:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power
    I don't know why people think F1 is boring.There are the best drivers in the world and the best manufacturers battling for the win.There aren't crazy overtakings but I don't think there more in a DTM or WTCC race.
    OMG SERIOUSLY YOUR WRONG their great drivers but they arnt ALL the best, prime example max wilson was prefferd over mark webber (not saying webbers a bad driver his old man would chase me out of the pub) testing in a minardi guess what wilson didnt have the money that webber had thats right this sport revolves around the all mighty green back (like everything else nowdays)

No crazy overtaking....correct me if im wrong but is overtaking which makes a race....we have a class in this country which has minimal passing and is time based called super sprint and i tell you what f1 reminds me alot about that

A fact that european drivers are better? well im not american but i can peal off a number of great drivers from america AJ foyt,mario andretti,dan Gurney and phil Hill now if im not mistaken didnt they shake up the f1 world

And whats your point about McRae? Dick Johnson (5 times attcc winner and 3 time bathurst winner) and Allan Grice (2 time bathurst winner) went over there for an entier series and done extremly well (dick Johnson was really popular there untill he swore on national tv) doesnt mean that nascar drivers are shit far from it they had to work hard to get there (and our guys had to work hard to do well) and suprise suprise the austrlians who raced in nascar really enjoyed the sport go figure it couldent of been fun its nascar

Ohhhh 4 million is that all? last figures in nascar has more fans "domestically" then f1 world wide we had a big article on NASCAR when our 2 time champion marcos ambrose moved to america so if you dispute those figures you can contact a persona named neal crompton and have a winge to him.

DTM has ALOT more passing v8 supercars has alot of passing that is an abvious highlight of these sports and as i mentioned earlier f1 has as much passing as a supersprint.
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

Who said they were ALL the best?But Franck Montagny,ex test driver for Renault, was one of the fastest in his first Champ Car test...don't know what this means.

"A fact that european drivers are better?..."
    Yeah..the guys you mentioned are far better than Stewart,Prost,Mansell or Hakkinen.Also,I wasn't only talking of F1 drivers.Do Americans have a Sebastien Loeb or Carlos Sainz?A Tom Kristensen?A Walter Röhrl?Ickx?
    But I think what really shows how bad American drivers are is that they DON'T WIN anything...not in America,not anywhere.Why do American teams have so many European drivers?

"correct me if im wrong but is overtaking which makes a race"
    No.There are many ways to win races.Overtaking is not obligatory.It's more spectacular than overtaking in the pits,that's all.For me,overtaking on the track or overtaking in the pits is the same thing.

"And whats your point about McRae?"
    Do you know who Colin McRae is? He spent more time driving on mud and gravel than on race tracks.Do you know what I mean?

"Ohhhh 4 million is that all?"
    No...that's only in France.Think of Germany (regularly over 10 million people) or Spain,Italy or Britain.F1 is transmitted in more than 60 countries.

No,DTM has not many overtakings.I suggest you watch some DTM races.

Who said they were ALL the best?But Franck Montagny,ex test driver for Renault, was one of the fastest in his first Champ Car test...don't know what this means.
    You did in your previous post no your changeing tact what a suprise but good to see where seeing eye to eye there and mayby it means hes a good driver? unlike you im not disputing that europeans are good I am of european descent (Austrian and im always hopeing Kristein Klein will to better great driver bad luck!) i beleive that euros are great drivers what im diputing is that fact your saying all americans are bad drivers and that is simply not true.

[/QUOTE]"A fact that european drivers are better?..."
    Yeah..the guys you mentioned are far better than Stewart,Prost,Mansell or Hakkinen.Also,I wasn't only talking of F1 drivers.Do Americans have a Sebastien Loeb or Carlos Sainz?A Tom Kristensen?A Walter Röhrl?Ickx?
    But I think what really shows how bad American drivers are is that they DON'T WIN anything...not in America,not anywhere.Why do American teams have so many European drivers? [/QUOTE] Oh well they where good enough to win at various times and a few of them came away with top 3 or better in the championship and i love the way you avoided my point so your disputing that these where great drivers? also mansell has been beaten in champ cars by a young Al Unser Jr and mario andretti

Rick Mears
    In 1980 Mears had tested a Formula One Brabham and had been quicker than the team's lead driver Nelson Piquet. However, as he was expected to bring money to the team, rather than receive a salary, he declined the offer.

Now thats an intresting exert and while Piquet isnt european I personally believe that hes one of the best drivers to put a helmet on so i think that is a rather good thing to add to a resume dont you?

Yes there are alot of European drivers in alot of american races means 2 things they have money or their really really good or both and a classic part of your posting you make it sound like the european drivers are head in shoulders above americans. when it took 10 years for a non american to win CART and he was Brazillian it took till 93 for mansell to win and guess what they where american between that too

[/QUOTE]"correct me if im wrong but is overtaking which makes a race"
    No.There are many ways to win races.Overtaking is not obligatory.It's more spectacular than overtaking in the pits,that's all.For me,overtaking on the track or overtaking in the pits is the same thing.[/QUOTE] Ok i just think its incredibly lame i have the 89 albert park race with mansel,berger,piquet(and being of austrian descent i wanted berger to win untill a frenchman got in his way) and a number of other greats going hammer and tongs and actually overtaking it was probably one of the most exciting f1 races ive ever seen....something that i find current f1 is lacking.

[/QUOTE]"And whats your point about McRae?"
    Do you know who Colin McRae is? He spent more time driving on mud and gravel than on race tracks.Do you know what I mean?[/QUOTE]
    Of course i know who MaRae is I think it goes with out saying that a great driver can race anywhere a retierd circut racer i mention eaelier (young Neals on Wheels) came 2nd in class and a top 15 placeing in the rally of my hometown now hes a circut racer of small reputed here and he done well around our local pine forrests Could it be the fact hes talented? or are the rest of the ARC drivers that Chris Atkison dueled with crap (by your small minded definition id say yes).

And on the flip side Ickx was one of the best drivers never to win f1 and is now a very accomplished paris-daker racer as i said accomplished drivers will shine at anything they do.

[/QUOTE]"Ohhhh 4 million is that all?"
    No...that's only in France.Think of Germany (regularly over 10 million people) or Spain,Italy or Britain.F1 is transmitted in more than 60 countries.[/QUOTE]

Well American Has my countrys population (26 million and growing) in one city! alone its one of the worlds most desnly populated countrys in the world so my point there was 4 million IN ONE COUNTRY is a mere drop in the ocean

[/QUOTE]No,DTM has not many overtakings.I suggest you watch some DTM races.[/QUOTE] must of caught it on an off day(s) then because when i used to whatch it in 04/05 I found it similar our domestic races in the way the races went (fair bit of overtakeing and very similar speed)

But I think what really shows how bad American drivers are is that they DON'T WIN anything...not in America,not anywhere.Why do American teams have so many European drivers?
    Fanboy.

Seconded...
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon500
    Ohhhh 4 million is that all? last figures in nascar has more fans "domestically" then f1 world wide we had a big article on NASCAR when our 2 time champion marcos ambrose moved to america so if you dispute those figures you can contact a persona named neal crompton and have a winge to him.
    I seriously hope your not trying to say Nascar has more fans in the US than F1 does world wide. Monaco alone attracts over 600million viewers
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    I seriously hope your not trying to say Nascar has more fans in the US than F1 does world wide. Monaco alone attracts over 600million viewers
    Talk to cromly its his statistic im merly quoteing it (its higly likly that that statistic was before china was boradcasting it correct me if im wrong but didnt they start in 05 or something?)

Neil Crompton wasnt just an average driver btw, he won the American Touring car series one year if I recall... If anything, the guy is highly underated for his driving. How many times was he running second at bathurst with team mates who shall remain unnamed, (the names rhyme with Craig Lowndes and Wayne Gardner...) only to be be robbed by a team mate cock up, or a plastic bag or two in the air dam... I can think of about 4 times off the top of my head. Every one goes on about Seton never having won Bathurst, Cromley deserved it just as much. If I was going to get a V8 team together, the first person Id want to get in touch with would be Crompton.

Having said that. Why are we still comparing F1 to Nascar??? There IS NO COMPARISON... might as well be comparing F1 to Motogp and Nascar to ocean sail boat racing.....
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

Talk to cromly its his statistic im merly quoteing it (its higly likly that that statistic was before china was boradcasting it correct me if im wrong but didnt they start in 05 or something?)
    Depends on the wording i suppose. Going by the Monaco TV figure, well its impossible for Nascar to match that on US alone.

China is a huge market though, theyve supposedly got a fair amount of V8 Supercar fans, just none of them were willing to pay a weeks wages to see them in person.
    I am the Stig

This is superficially correct - there tend to be more successful Drivers from Europe.

However, this is not due to their nationality - people from Europe are not genetically predetermined to be better drivers - but rather more to do with the fact that Motorsport was concieved in Europe and France, Britain, Germany and Italy have a lot of tracks and facilities, combined with the engineers and teams that build the cars.

It follows that since there are a lot of people building race cars, and a lot of tracks to race them on that there must be a lot of people driving these cars.

Over time the best teams and drivers have all been focussed in Europe, and new drivers are able to learn from the best, and gain even more experience from racing against many other good drivers.

There are many ranks of motorsport in Europe - Formula Renault, Palmer-Audi, F3000, GP2, several Touring car series, many GT series, lots of single make series - Caterhams, Radicals as well as lots of national & international rallying etc, etc.

Due to this drivers in Europe have to be very good if they want to win and reach the top levels of GT & single seater racing.

That isn't to say that drivers can't come from overseas to Europe to start their motorsport careers and be successful - Senna, Villeneuve, Barricello, Montoya, Speed etc, etc all raced in Europe early on.

Chubby Redneck Jr, or whoever else wants to be a NASCAR driver isn't likely to move to Europe where there isn't much oval racing, therefore not much point going there, so is less likely to have so much experience during their early career.

IMHO, etc
    Thanks for all the fish

You did in your previous post no your changeing tact what a suprise but good to see where seeing eye to eye there and mayby it means hes a good driver? unlike you im not disputing that europeans are good I am of european descent (Austrian and im always hopeing Kristein Klein will to better great driver bad luck!) i beleive that euros are great drivers what im diputing is that fact your saying all americans are bad drivers and that is simply not true.
    You have absolutely no clue...

"You did in your previous post no your changeing tact what a suprise but good to see where seeing eye to eye there"
    what??say it German

"also mansell has been beaten in champ cars by a young Al Unser Jr and mario andretti"..."it took till 93 for mansell to win.."
    Mansell was champion in his first year of ChampCar.Just to let you know...

" Oh well they where good enough to win at various times and a few of them came away with top 3 or better in the championship and i love the way you avoided my point so your disputing that these where great drivers?"
    There are thousands of GOOD drivers.I love the way you avoided my point which was,there are many much better drivers than those Americans.

"Of course i know who MaRae is I think it goes with out saying that a great driver can race anywhere"
    NO....an average circuit driver is capable of beating a very good rally driver on a track.

"And on the flip side Ickx was one of the best drivers never to win f1 and is now a very accomplished paris-daker racer as i said accomplished drivers will shine at anything they do."
    Again,you have no idea what you're talking about.You forgot to mention the 6 LeMans wins....

"...something that i find current f1 is lacking..."
    I never said the opposite.I said,that what many people think is exciting about F1 is the FACT that there are the best drivers and the best manufacturers.

"Well American Has my countrys population (26 million and growing) in one city! alone its one of the worlds most desnly populated countrys in the world so my point there was 4 million IN ONE COUNTRY is a mere drop in the ocean"
    4 million in 1 of 60 countries....

"Well American Has my countrys population (26 million and growing) in one city"
    Oh really?What does that mean?

"because when i used to whatch it in 04/05 I found it similar our domestic races in the way the races went (fair bit of overtakeing and very similar speed)"
    Did you notice that more and more overtakings are done in the pits?

Oh and please try to use , ? ; . : ! and so on.
    Last edited by Max Power; 06-07-2006 at 04:28 AM.

Thread Information