Thread: Tesla defends itself against Broder's NYT article with graphs, data, and facts

Tesla defends itself against Broder's NYT article with graphs, data, and facts

I was very impressed with this article, polite but firm. I think it also reflects well on their suit against Top Gear from a few years ago. I admit, I didn't know if they were just being whiny children back then but now it looks like they're committed to portraying the car accurately despite sensationalizing negativity in journalism.

A Most Peculiar Test Drive | Blog | Tesla Motors

Expecting media to be "honest" and not carry their own agenda and bias was a little naïve
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Good article. Nice to see a manufacturer call a reporter on their article and then back it up with facts.
    "Some days, you just can't get rid of a bomb!"
    "Life is short, drive fast!" - Lamborghini
    "How's that for a slice of fried gold?"
    "I'll take the case!" - Harvey Birdman

Rebut from NYT:
    That Tesla Data: What It Says and What It Doesnt - NYTimes.com

Still a lot of he-said-she-said I think.....data is one thing, interpretation is another, and the processed data is still from Tesla.
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Shares took a minor hit that day too.

http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/TSLA:US

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    Shares took a minor hit that day too.

http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/TSLA:US
    I can definitely imagine why Elon must strongly defend his stuff. In this day and age any sneeze the market reacts to it...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    Rebut from NYT:
    That Tesla Data: What It Says and What It Doesnt - NYTimes.com

Still a lot of he-said-she-said I think.....data is one thing, interpretation is another, and the processed data is still from Tesla.
    Yes, there's a whole lot of finger pointing at this point. I'm not sure who to trust.

But to be honest, the article does highlight the major issue at hand- there must be more frequent charging stations. This product will most certainly fail if owners are inconvenienced by charging stations.

But I'm also hesitant about electronic parking brakes. Why make something so simple... so complicated? Sure you'll be able to package things in a more efficient manner, but even if you had wanted to push the car off the road if it ever ran out of juice you'd be out of luck.
    Last edited by NSXType-R; 02-15-2013 at 08:49 AM.

Not to mention, you can't effectively do a e-brake turn with one...at least I don't think so, doesn't seem feasible....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

as I understand it the "electronic" part of it is the application and removal, not a complete separate solution.
    so for e-brake turns it's as useful as all those cars the US flooded us with that had foot operated or umbrella operated parking brakes.

In the UK we call it a handbrake and WANT it operated by hand So making "handbrake turns" . "e-brake turn" just doesn't have the same kudos , does it !

It does make it VERY simple if ( as I suspect ) it's achieved by a simple electrical screw to apply pressure on the brake circuit. Down side being the unwillingness of the car to allow a release even if they only used the 12V batter to do that .... tho' I don't trust a single word of that guys article. He clearly was trying to "do a Clarkson"

Assuming that Tesla are using off the shelf brake components, I see no reason for them not to use what BMW have used for 10+ years now. Read article by the recovery guy which adds more suspicion with him being talked through the brake release and confusion with Tesla support folks. Been there and done that with computer IT support. THe user is often the problem Especially as he didn't even think to stick a dolly under the wheels and pull it onto the bed. Nope am more convinced it's an attempted fix-up
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 02-16-2013 at 04:34 AM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Condemning these first Electric cars for not being perfect is a lot like condemning the first printing press because it was time consuming to set type, and not that many people could read.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    I'm not a big fan of EV's, but I did rather like the slam Elon put on Broder with all of the data to back it up. Made for a good read
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Thread Information