Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who here is into planes?

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.

Who here is into planes?

And why? Do you have a pilot's license? What do you fly, or what would you fly if you could?

I love flying. I started on the program to get my pilot's license in high school, but never kept it up, unfortunately. I did a couple sessions in a Cessna 152. What I'd really like to fly, though, is a Lockheed Vega, or perhaps a P-47 Thunderbolt, Ford Tri-Motor, or Lockheed L-10 Electra. Or, in a more realistic line, my dream plane would be a Piper J3 Cub.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

i dont know squatt about planes, i was just wondering how one gets the licences, is it like a car licence where i can just walk into the place and wing it or what.
    Once fanboyism infects you it impares all your judgement.
    It's like being drunk, you lack common sense and everyone laughs at you.

Anyone likes to fly with Flight Simulator too ?

I kinda often play it... At the moment i try to complete London-Sydney in parts So far it took me 58 hours according to my logbook

Quote Originally Posted by kigango123
    i dont know squatt about planes, i was just wondering how one gets the licences, is it like a car licence where i can just walk into the place and wing it or what.
    Absolutely not! It's pretty intensive, actually. You have to have flight training and solos, tests, and be certified at each step, and that's putting it simply. And then, you have to fly a certain amount per month to stay current and keep your license valid. It takes a good deal of time and money to do, and then there's various levels of piloting, i.e. Recreational Pilot, Private Pilot, there's your instrument rating (where you learn to fly blind, using ONLY your instruments, etc. It basically just depends on how much and what kind of flying you have to or want to do - not to mention how much patience and how big a bank account you have.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    Anyone likes to fly with Flight Simulator too ?

I kinda often play it... At the moment i try to complete London-Sydney in parts So far it took me 58 hours according to my logbook
    That's what I end up doing most of the time. It's fun but not too realistic when you lack both real sectionals and rudder pedals. Not too bad for IFR practice though.

I'm into planes, but I don't foresee myself being a pilot in the future. I think they're still really cool though.

I play combat flight sims and I'd like to get in to an F-15, F-111 or an SR-71.
    "Some days, you just can't get rid of a bomb!"
    "Life is short, drive fast!" - Lamborghini
    "How's that for a slice of fried gold?"
    "I'll take the case!" - Harvey Birdman

I love planes. I don't have a license or anything, and I don't have Microsoft's Flight Sim anymore, as school is absorbing all of my time into a black hole. But I still love aircraft, comabt and civil as well as helicopters too. My favourite website is www.airliners.net
    UCP's BSG Nerd and a resident Freerider.
    flickr page:http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaru72/

I'm into planes when I have to travel long distances... ... then I just get off.
    Zag when they Zig

I can't afford training, it's about 50.000€ for airline pilot licence...
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

I don't have a licence but I paid a bunch of cash to realise a childhood dream to fly a fast jet fighter. The instructor takes off and lands and does most of the aerobatics, but I got plenty of stick time for the most intense hour of my life. The plane is an ex-RAF Hawker Hunter owned by Thunder City in Cape Town South Africa.

Mach 0.95 low over the beaches of the west coast, now THAT'S motoring!

Doug

We start any venture with a full bag of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before we empty the bag of luck.

I like flying but it's my dad's favorite thing. He's got two planes. A short wing Piper that was built in about 1952, which he is currently doing a full restoration on. The other is a replica Waco UMF-5 which took him about 14 years to build. It has one numerous awards, even some major ones from Oshkosh.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    eat cicada

Quote Originally Posted by SIMPLETON
    I like flying but it's my dad's favorite thing. He's got two planes. A short wing Piper that was built in about 1952, which he is currently doing a full restoration on. The other is a replica Waco UMF-5 which took him about 14 years to build. It has one numerous awards, even some major ones from Oshkosh.
    wow!
    That red plane is incredibly nice!
    What a stunning plane
    Do you have more pics of it? Some high res to?

I really like planes because my dad used to inspect F-16s at General Dynamics. I have a couple WWII flying sims and I would love to fly a P-51D or Spitfire L.F. MK or a BF-109G. I would also love to fly any of the Red Bull Racing planes, which can pull up to 13g at short times. Most of all I would love to fly a F-16 simply because my dad used to work on them and they are argueably the nimblest modern fighters.

Quote Originally Posted by LotusLocost
    wow!
    That red plane is incredibly nice!
    What a stunning plane
    Do you have more pics of it? Some high res to?
    Yes. I have oodles of pics of it. I dont think any are high res though.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    eat cicada

Thread Information