Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Schumacher will race for Mercedes in 2010

Schumacher will race for Mercedes in 2010

Although there is a separate 2010 season build-up thread, this is big enough news to warrant a new thread. Michael Schumacher has signed a deal with Mercedes-Benz to race in Formula 1 during for at least a year. For Schumacher it is a return to the manufacturer where he started his international racing career back in 1990. Some may suggest he has nothing to win and everything to loose but I think he just misses the thrill of Formula 1. It will be very interesting to see how he stacks up the youngsters.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I'm looking forward to Bahrain more than ever. I don't think Schumacher has anything to lose. Nobody can take his seven WDCs away from him. Rather, I think Schumacher will be fighting for podiums and wins from the start of the championship and I'm sure he can teach the younger generation a thing or two.
    I notice the rumours that he is being paid about 7 million Euros. This is significantly less than he earned at Ferrari, so he's not coming back for money.
    If he manages to beat his team-mate, will we finally see an end to the claims that Schumacher has never had to face a strong team-mate?

Whether Schumacher wins races or fights for the WDC doesn't really matter. His mere presence is a major shot in the arm for F1 and guarantees huge media coverage and increased fan anticipation for the season ahead.
    Not only that, we face the mouth watering prospect of a season with eight very good drivers in what I hope to be four very good teams. Alonso, Massa, Vettel, Webber, Hamilton, Button, Rosberg and Schumacher. Whoever wins the WDC next year will have to earn it. We have to go back a long way in F1 to remember a year with so many top drivers in with a chance.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Makes me suspicious that his supposed motorbike injuries which, prevented him from filling in for Massa, was a bogus story.

*shrugs*

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    Makes me suspicious that his supposed motorbike injuries which, prevented him from filling in for Massa, was a bogus story.

*shrugs*
    I think at that time his potential move to Mercedes was well below the horizon. just as the actual Mercedes move to take over Brawn was in the first place.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Well Hulkenberg also refused to drive the Ferrari as he feared it would hurt his career. The performances of Badoer and Fisichella showed he was right. In Michael Schumacher's role as brand ambassador, it would not have good if he declared that he did not want to drive the F60 because it was a horrendous car. So you could very well be right.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I think it's a bad move for him. If he misses the thrill of racing there's always touring cars or soprtscars.

But him languishing at the end of the grid could be a painful memory for the driver that once won 7 world championships. If we wins better for him, but if he doesn't it will probably have a devastating effect on how fans look at him.

Of course for us it will be brilliant, seeing what he can do against the youngsters.

Also, could this have something to do with the fact that Alonso didn't want Schumacher messing around at Ferrari?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

this is such a bad decision i cant even put it into words. f1 is so exciting without schumacher these days. he won seven championships. it got boring he won so much. he only has his reputation to lose. i cant work out what reasoning is behind this. IMO heidfeld was a fresher and potentially better team mate for rosberg. now a great driver will be struggling for a seat so a retired driver can have have a bash. It also proves that he hasnt presented a big enough appeal to ferrari over their 2 drivers despite their strong relationship with him.

im not doubting schumi's talent or the fact that this is a big thing for F1. i just have absolutely no enthusiasm for the decision whatsoever. we've missed out on a great partnership display this year from nico and nick.

Personally I'd rather see him stay retired from F1 and see a young new comer get the job and a shot at fame and fortune.

In fact I think it should be a rule that once a former champion leaves F1 as a driver they can never return as a driver....unless they had to leave due to injury etc.

amen.

In fact I think it should be a rule that once a former champion leaves F1 as a driver they can never return as a driver....unless they had to leave due to injury etc.
    Umm... Remember Niki Lauda's comeback...

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    But him languishing at the end of the grid could be a painful memory for the driver that once won 7 world championships. If we wins better for him, but if he doesn't it will probably have a devastating effect on how fans look at him.
    Why would he languish at the back of the grid?

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Why would he languish at the back of the grid?
    I missed an if. But still, I don't think he will be as performant as he was when he was at the height of his career.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

The problem with it all was he was not ready to retire in 2006 at all. He was a bit tired, maybe, but he was as fast as he ever was in 2006, right up to the last race. Ferrari wanted him out to make way for Raikkonen, and thats what he did. In the last 3 season whenever he had a chance to had a go at F1 car he took it, and everytime he was on the pace. Just show that he was not resigned to retirement life at all. I think if he shows up in 2010 and was still there on the sharp end, he'll keep going til he is not. If he is not at the sharp end, then he might well call it quit at the end. He has nothing to lose. People have been on the comeback trail before, some did well(Lauda), others not so much(Mansell, though its arguable if he is anygood in the first place), but they have already done their Championship and won their races. Anything more is just gravy. Same with this one...

And being an F1 driver before and come back to drive touring car or sports car, its not the same thrill. IMO for him to ride bike was good fun, since thats was not part of his skillset, and he had to work hard for it. Driving tin-top he is just a) not used to it(look at his WOC preference to the buggy as opposed to WRC car), and b) its just slow. Slow reacting, slow cornering, not much G force. He can't get the same high in those cars....Same reason why when Damon Hill was on Top Gear he mention he just drive around in a wagon in his daily life. Because no matter how fast a super car is, its moving at snail pace compare to F1 car. And they just can't get the same thrill out of it...

I am looking forward to it, and already rooting for 2010 WDC...
    Last edited by RacingManiac; 12-23-2009 at 07:52 AM.
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    The problem with it all was he was not ready to retire in 2006 at all. He was a bit tired, maybe, but he was as fast as he ever was in 2006, right up to the last race. Ferrari wanted him out to make way for Raikkonen, and thats what he did. In the last 3 season whenever he had a chance to had a go at F1 car he took it, and everytime he was on the pace. Just show that he was not resigned to retirement life at all. I think if he shows up in 2010 and was still there on the sharp end, he'll keep going til he is not. If he is not at the sharp end, then he might well call it quit at the end. He has nothing to lose. People have been on the comeback trail before, some did well(Lauda), others not so much(Mansell, though its arguable if he is anygood in the first place), but they have already done their Championship and won their races. Anything more is just gravy. Same with this one...

And being an F1 driver before and come back to drive touring car or sports car, its not the same thrill. IMO for him to ride bike was good fun, since thats was not part of his skillset, and he had to work hard for it. Driving tin-top he is just a) not used to it(look at his WOC preference to the buggy as opposed to WRC car), and b) its just slow. Slow reacting, slow cornering, not much G force. He can't get the same high in those cars....Same reason why when Damon Hill was on Top Gear he mention he just drive around in a wagon in his daily life. Because no matter how fast a super car is, its moving at snail pace compare to F1 car. And they just can't get the same thrill out of it...

I am looking forward to it, and already rooting for 2010 WDC...
    I agree 100%.
    "Consider all things - the events of your past and the possibilities for tommorow.
    Let nothing stop you from becoming the architect of your future." - Nicholas Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I missed an if. But still, I don't think he will be as performant as he was when he was at the height of his career.
    we need to wait and see him drive to decide if he is still as good as before, i personally wish he is better than before.
    http://www.pitstopboss.co.uk/signup.php?referral_id=38884 [img]http://pitstopboss.net/images/468x60_psb3.gif[/img] or http://www.pitstopboss.co.uk/?a_aid=leor <<best online f1 racing game

Thread Information