Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Audi RS3 (8P) Sportback 2011-2012

Audi RS3 (8P) Sportback 2011-2012

Audi (8PA) RS 3 Sportback (2010-)

Yesterday (22nd November 2010) Audi finally unveiled the long awaited RS 3. The short RS marks Audis performancecars since 1993. While the legendary RS 2 Avant was based on a Audi 80 (89Q or B4 coded) and a codevelopment with Porsche the quattro GmbH (a 100% part of the Audi AG) in Neckarsulm, Germany produces cars with the extra portion of sport these days.

Even with around 18 years time between these two it is astonishing how much they have in common. Sure the A3 is positioned a class under the range of the vintage 80. The RS 3 is called Sportback and not Avant, of course. But both are (were) only available with 5 doors (both are around 4 and a half meters long and weigh around 1600 kilograms) , allwheeldrive and - most important - a turbocharged inline 5-cylinder pounding under the bonnet. While it is mounted longitudinal in the RS 2 the new Sportback wears its one the transversal way. It is the same engine we find in the current (8N) TT RS. It measures 2.5 litres of displacement and with a maximum output of 339.7 PS (249.8 kW) @ 5400-6500 rpm it delivers almost 25 horsepower more than the 0.2 litre smaller Porsche engineered motor.
    Torque of 450.0 Nm (332 ft·lb) is available between 1600-5300 rpm (40 Nm more than the RS 2).

With the newest generation of quattro allwheeldrive Audi promises a time of 4.6 seconds from 0 to 100 km/h (RS 2: 5.4 sec). To make sure people without racetrack experience also can reach this figure Audi installed a S-button in the centre console which changes the characteristic of engine and exhaust (meaning a more direct response of throttle and a more agressive sound) adding a pressure of 1.2 bar and a launch control. The RS 3 is electronically limited to 250 km/h (155 mph) while the RS 2 (Porsche be praised) runs free until 262 km/h and only 2700 Sportback will be built. But maybe the quattro GmbH will also offer a package like for the TT RS allowing 280 km/h.

Audi offers the new 7-speed 2nd gen double clutch sequential transmission (DSG) in this case called S-tronic. It shifts either automatic or the driver uses paddles on the steeringwhell or hits the knob. The 7th gear is meant for saving fuel. Audi promises a consumtion of 9.1 litres per 100 kilometers in the mix.

The suspension is 25 milimeters lower and stiffer, steering more precise and 19 inch aluminium cast alloys with 235/35 tyre measurements in front and 225/35 in rear for better gripvalues. The brakes again are known from the TT RS with 370/310 mm discs in front/rear. Not known is if Audi will offer the magnetic ride system on the RS 3 Sportback, too.

The frontfenders are made from carbonfibre and 6 mm wider than on the S3. The rest of the bodykit is basically a mix of the current RS-models. Frontfascia very similar to the (B8) RS 5, singleframegrill like on the TT RS and reardiffusor comparable to the (C6) RS 6. The RS 3 is the only RS-badged model with a one-way exhaust. Another tribute to the RS 2? Furthermore it has a custom rearspoilerlip on the end of its roof. Customers can choose from different trim packages that leave the groundeffects kit and/or the sidemirrorcaps either bodycoloured or add matte aluminium to them. The rims can be ordered with a twotone finish and the singleframe painted in glossblack. The exterior paintjobs will remain the same as for the TT RS and Audi exclusive offers custom work for extravagant wishes.

The interior comes with sport- or bucketseats that can be covered with leather and alcantara combinations (Audi exclusive) and the core steeringwheeldesign is known since the (B7) RS 4.

The most powerful A3 ever will cost 49.900 €uros without extras and can be ordered in december 2010.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Yeahone; 11-24-2010 at 06:00 AM.

With this one I submitted 300 picture containing posts in this great forum. I have a little favor to ask:

First of all please someone of the moderators move this thread into the Hideout.

Second: A few months ago I startet another thread about the TT RS including 122 Hi-res attachments and it still waits to become approved to enter the Hideout.

Thank you in advance and I also hope that people will reply again on my posts which didn't happen quite a long time...
    Last edited by Yeahone; 11-24-2010 at 06:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeahone View Post
    With this one I submitted 300 picture containing posts in this great forum. I have a little favor to ask:
    Thank you in advance and I also hope that people will reply again on my posts which didn't happen quite a long time...
    Thank you for posting these pictures, are you feeling happy now since I replied on your post. I hope so,

On topic,
    Because the press release (which I assume the text above is) speaks about comparing the RS3 to the RS2. I think that only shows how little Audi has progressed in these 18 years.
    The RS3 is the latest hardcore road version, and it's only 25PS of HP (little difference) stronger then the 18 year older car. And although it has a aluminium frame and body, Its just as heavy.

Yeah Audi "Vorsprung durch techniek"

First of all please someone of the moderators move this thread into the Hideout.

Second: A few months ago I startet another thread about the TT RS including 122 Hi-res attachments and it still waits to become approved to enter the Hideout.

Yeahone, can you give me a link to the TTRS thread? I think we can manage what you asked for, and for what it is worth, I have not been involved with the hide-out so far.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Now how close is this car vs the Quattro concept? At least I guess the motor is similar...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Duell View Post
    Thank you for posting these pictures, are you feeling happy now since I replied on your post. I hope so,

On topic,
    Because the press release (which I assume the text above is) speaks about comparing the RS3 to the RS2. I think that only shows how little Audi has progressed in these 18 years.
    The RS3 is the latest hardcore road version, and it's only 25PS of HP (little difference) stronger then the 18 year older car. And although it has a aluminium frame and body, Its just as heavy.

Yeah Audi "Vorsprung durch techniek"
    The RS3 is based of the Audi A3--a tiny hatch back based on the VW Golf. If you want to compare the RS2 to something, compare it to the current Audi S4/S5 and RS5. The RS2 was based off the Audi 80/90, precursors to the Audi A4.

Remember, the RS3 is based off of VAG's A platform for hatchbacks, and the RS2 is based off of the Audi B platform, which spawned the Quattro, the 80/90, and the A4/A5 family. The only thing that the RS2 and RS3 have in common is the 5-cylinder engine. It also must be remembered that the new cars have had to comply with stricter safety and emissions regs than 15-20 years ago.

The RS3 is roughly comparable to the Ford Focus RS, which only makes about 300bhp from it's Volvo-derived inline 5 and is front-wheel drive only.
    Power to me is having the ability to make a change in a positive way. Don't dream it, be it.

We have a GM apologist in culver, an old American steel apologist in Fleet, and now an Audi apologist.

Yay!

You can't compare a tarted up Golf to a sedan that had racing pedigree that originated about 20 years ago.

Compare the RS3 to a Focus RS, that's a relevant comparison--same class of car, aimed the the same market. Otherwise, feel free to compare the RS3 to the old Ur-Quattro--the only thing that got close in the power market was the Quattro A2 WRC cars, which made 340-400+bhp, then would be on the virge or blowing up by the end of the stage.

If you want something to compare the RS2 to, compare it to the S5 Sportback. Same class of car, aimed at the same people basicallly, separated by about 15 years. One wouldn't compare the current BMW M3 to the 2002 turbo or the old 3.0 CSL, would they? Or the 2012 MY 302 Boss Mustang to the orignal 1969 model, one of which my father owned and raced?

Cars back in the RS2's day were lighter since they only carried a drivers' side airbag, didn't have the beefed up chassis to survive crash testing, and made more power because EU/American laws said that only a cat converter was needed, and there wasn't the huge cry for safety, fuel economy and being "green" (and I believe that some race cars are greener than a Prius long term, for example) that we have now 15-20 years ago.

Not all of us are Jeremy Clarkson and say screw the nanny state and the green party, and not all automakers can build unabashed supercars. That's why VAG own Lamborghini and Bugatti, and why Fiat is majority owner of Ferrari. If you really want a practical no-frills performance car, get a Holden Commodore HSV R8 or it's British version, the Vauxhall VXR8. Or if you're from North America, start a campaign to get GM to import the Commodore again and get Ford to import the Falcon. Those cars are a dying breed.

But my argument stands--due to changing laws and customer demands, you can't compare a new hot hatchback to a nearly 20 year old performance coupe. Different class of car, from different times.
    Power to me is having the ability to make a change in a positive way. Don't dream it, be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chernaudi View Post
    Or if you're from North America, start a campaign to get GM to import the Commodore again and get Ford to import the Falcon. Those cars are a dying breed.
    Current Mustang, Camaro, Genesis Coupe all do the job fantastically well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chernaudi View Post
    One wouldn't compare the current BMW M3 to the 2002 turbo or the old 3.0 CSL, would they?
    I would and I would greatly prefer the turbo and the E9.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

@Duell: I know it sounds a little sarcastic but it is a strange feeling too post pics into threads where none replies

Like I wrote in several other threads the entry text is not a press release. I like to write something about the cars instead of only posting pictures. The figures and official data are from the real press release but the idea of a comparison to the RS 2 came from me. I know that the 2 cars are only related because of the name and the rings. But on the other hand they have a lot similarities. The exterior measurements and curb weight are almost the same, the engine and drive concept are very similar in my opinion, so I just wanted to hint at these aspects.
    Also I tried to explain to me why Audi used the Sportback instead of the 3-door hatch as a base for the RS 3.

On the other hand it makes the text more interesting than writing about just another Audi with an RS badge...

@henk4: Audi TT RS Coupe/Roadster quattro - Ultimatecarpage.com forums hope that helps

By the way. I compared the TT RS with the "Urquattro" (B2 85Q 20V 80 Coupe quattro) in the linked thread "press release". Simply because it is the first Audi coupe with a turbocharged straight five since over a decade...

oh and henk4, if you like there is another thread with the R8 V10 GT located here: Audi R8 V10 GT quattro - Ultimatecarpage.com forums

I assume that you have send the RS 3 into the Hideout, right?
    However thank you all for posting your opinion.

What I wrote is just my own interpretation so please don't blame the real Audi press staff. When I use an original press release I will quote and give the link(s) to the queue(s) under the text.
    Last edited by Yeahone; 11-24-2010 at 06:13 AM.

Done..

Thank you very much, henk4

Just replaced the posted pics with some in even higher res and rearranged the order.

Maybe I should stop writing my own texts into the introduction of new threads and use real press releases in order not to cause such confusion?

Thank you very much, henk4

Just replaced the posted pics with some in even higher res and rearranged the order.

Maybe I should stop writing my own texts into the introduction of new threads and use real press releases in order not to cause such confusion?
    to be honest, I never noticed that it was your text, in stead of the press release, perhaps because they look similar to what Wouter puts on the main page. (and which I also hardly read)
    I am also not really a picture collector, so my visits to the hide-out are scarse. I remember there have been discussions on whether the hide-out should be purely for High-Res pictures and not so much for text or discussions, and I am not sure what the outcome was.
    But yes, feel free to put in your own text as they may be it bit more critical than the average press release any way, especially for Audi

Well, in my opinion everybody can post images like these in the forum, it is not that hard to find them on the net (especially from recent cars).
    Almost all posts from me are structured in a certain way. I put the pictures on in an order kinda like a photostream and what I put down below (or better said above) them is information or personal impression. Overall I regard it as something like a parted presentation.
    When I start new threads like this one I like to write a few lines about the car instead of just posting photos only. Of course I could use an official press release but you just have to open the page of the manufacturer to read them...

Instead the written contributions just should be the icing on the cake and sometimes even purposed to start a discussion.
    Last edited by Yeahone; 11-24-2010 at 08:04 AM.

Thread Information