Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: autozine

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella

My box is lined with teflon.
    model de lux, for the demanding vagabond
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    for the demanding vagabond
    Nowadays, few aren't.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    I did not know that cardboard box had an address!?
    Funny you should talk about subscriptions. Mark Wan who wants to spend more time running autozine would do if he could ask for a small membership fee. I think it would be worth it, but in the meanwhile his website is free, and when he provides such a high level of competition the internet can be seen as free, so this makes ucp subscription fee a turn of. I know its good to support web editors but there is such a thing as free server space and if you like cars enough you wont charge for your webpage creating time. Therefore i think Mark Wan does autozine for passion of cars, and ucp (primarily) does this for non-profit. Sorry to be long-winded but its the way i (and probably others (even subconsciously)) see it. Now i will wait for henk4 to bite my head off....
    Last edited by jediali; 11-16-2006 at 10:37 AM.
    autozine.org

You do realise this is my job right?
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by jediali
    Now i will wait for henk4 to bite my head off....
    At your service. I don't know whether you ever venture out to the main page, where you can find unique pictures and reports..... These do not originate from sitting in a room behind a screen, but from actually going to the events where this all happens. You may have some idea about travel expenses, and that is purely out of pocket costs, which needs to be generated from the site.

You have to start accepting that this type of websites will generally replace written periodicals, (which you have to buy at W.H. Smith or subscribe to) and the web has the great advantage that all your old copies are readily available. If you are not prepared to contributed a single dime to that you will have to settle for adverts.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

You do realise this is my job right?
    no offence whatsoever. the reason i joined this was because its the only good car forum. i apologise sincerely if i have offended.
    autozine.org

At your service. I don't know whether you ever venture out to the main page, where you can find unique pictures and reports..... These do not originate from sitting in a room behind a screen, but from actually going to the events where this all happens. You may have some idea about travel expenses, and that is purely out of pocket costs, which needs to be generated from the site.

You have to start accepting that this type of websites will generally replace written periodicals, (which you have to buy at W.H. Smith or subscribe to) and the web has the great advantage that all your old copies are readily available. If you are not prepared to contributed a single dime to that you will have to settle for adverts.
    good point henk4: there is an extra dimension to what goes on here, serves me right for being a novice
    autozine.org

Funny you should talk about subscriptions. Mark Wan who wants to spend more time running autozine would do if he could ask for a small membership fee. I think it would be worth it, but in the meanwhile his website is free, and when he provides such a high level of competition the internet can be seen as free, so this makes ucp subscription fee a turn of.
    Well, for a start UCP is for free. Advertising is always bearable. It's nice to work for free when you love something. But if the moment comes when you are so inlove that you want to marry your hobby for life, you have to make profit from it. Otherwise, you can't live.

I know its good to support web bums but there is such a thing as free server space and if you like cars enough you wont charge for your webpage creating time. Therefore i think Mark Wan does autozine for passion of cars, and ucp (primarily) does this for business. Sorry to be long-winded but its the way i (and probably others (even subconsciously)) see it. Now i will wait for henk4 to bite my head off....
    I guess noone would stand to travel all over the world the whole year, chasing classic car events and shows, searching for detailed info, spending money on books, tools and photographic gear, without loving the subject.
    This is Wouter profession and his way of living yes. But why would he chose this one over another (probably more simple an relaxed) if it wasn't for love?
    So primarily he does it for passion. But to be able to do it, he has to live from it as a consequence.
    Remember the headline: "Powered by knowledge, driven by passion."

good point henk4: there is an extra dimension to what goes on here, serves me right for being a novice
    No harm done. We all once were.
    Last edited by McReis; 11-16-2006 at 10:45 AM.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

ok, thanks for clearing that up. i understand where your coming from
    autozine.org

How about here:
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.php?file=list.php
    I sincerely doubt there are other websites out there that offer so much original content (pictures and articles) for free.
    The content is original in the sense that it's not copy-pasted from other websites (except from the press releases).

But the information is not generated by the people who post on UCP. They read about it somewhere else. No-one was born knowing that the Elise MK1 has a lift-off oversteer tendency. He read it somewhere else. It could have been in the UCP forums, it could have been somewhere else.

What is more than likely is that a person that posts on a Bugatti Veyron does not own the car. Therefore, he must get his information from an external source. Now, I really doubt that the moderators here at UCP own Veyrons and post through their experience with the car.

So, in that sense virtually no site can claim originality of its content. What UCP and Autozine can brag about is that they use the information from various sources in order to form their own conclusion
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

Quote Originally Posted by lightweight
    The content is original in the sense that it's not copy-pasted from other websites (except from the press releases).

But the information is not generated by the people who post on UCP. They read about it somewhere else. No-one was born knowing that the Elise MK1 has a lift-off oversteer tendency. He read it somewhere else. It could have been in the UCP forums, it could have been somewhere else.

What is more than likely is that a person that posts on a Bugatti Veyron does not own the car. Therefore, he must get his information from an external source. Now, I really doubt that the moderators here at UCP own Veyrons and post through their experience with the car.

So, in that sense virtually no site can claim originality of its content. What UCP and Autozine can brag about is that they use the information from various sources in order to form their own conclusion

you are spot on. Autozine claims to have as wide an influence as possible to get round this innacuracy issue.
    autozine.org

you are spot on. Autozine claims to have as wide an influence as possible to get round this innacuracy issue.
    Thx jediali! To put it in academic terms, UCP and Autozine cannot be charged with plagiarism, but they cannot claim to be pionners, because their content is not original. Many sources contribute to it. This is a good thing, as a wide array of influence guarantees objectivity and longevity

By the way nice V10!
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

I am a regular reader. I don't always agree with his thoughts, as many sites, but overall it's a nice touch. No advertisemnt either.

Just wish he would update to CSS stylesheet design, and add a nice RSS feed Hasn't updated his site in a while, but then again neither have I.

Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    SMP! SMP!
    Every good forum lives from advertising.
    Mine had no advertising and look what happened to it.
    Actually, advertising can also draw people away. Then again, advertisement is usually on popular forums where no one cares for new members. I promise to never advertise on my forum.

or from subscriptions if people just could overcome the funny idea that "internet is for free"
    Whoo who who...wait. It isn't free
    The wind that blows in the Andes.

The content is original in the sense that I write and shoot it. Of course I use sources, mostly off-line sources even. Do you really think Mark Wan goes anywhere to shoot / drive the cars he reports about? His reports are related to other people's work in a whole other level than mine.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I think your misconception is here that you think the forum is the site. It is not, it is a byproduct. If you would for instance look at the forum indexpage, you can see how many people are online, and how many (few) of those are forum members, or actually viewing the forums.

Thread Information