Go to Ultimatecarpage.com

Go Back   Ultimatecarpage.com forums > Automotive forums > Technical forums

Old 07-18-2005, 10:58 AM
Enthusiast

Loughborough, GB
The twin-engined car concept has been done a few times, I rmember the twin-engined Audi TT on Top Gear a few years back. My friend subjected me to some max power dvd thing some time last year that had twin-engined Vauxhall Astra/Nova/Calibra/something else that wasn't really worth the effort. They put it in a drag race with a bunch of other boy racer's wetdream cars. If memory serves, they all got spanked by a squillion horsepower Nissan Pulsar.

To conclude, I think the general concensus is that it's more hassle and weight than it's actually worth. Just having a bigger engine in the middle of the car is a better solution afaik.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:33 AM

south beloit IL
Send a message via AIM to Juggs
double engined cars have been around for decades...some pulling tractor motors have like 8 engines on em.

1974 Ford Country Squire (for sale!)

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500
Old 07-18-2005, 11:53 AM
Enthusiast

Porto - Portugal
About the mini, theres a company that builds them with motorbike engines, some versions are twin engined ones, i have no ideia what they's site is, but i'm sure i've seen it on the net
Old 07-18-2005, 11:54 AM
Enthusiast

Loughborough, GB
http://www.zcars.org.uk/

Beware the irritating commentary.

EDIT: The twin engined Mini I think you're talking about is the red Autograss racer that's got two 160bhp Yamaha R1 engines in. Only thing is, it's a totally custom car, the only Mini bit is the bodyshell...

Last edited by VtecMini; 07-18-2005 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:08 PM
Enthusiast

USA+CH
what about having one engine power the left, the other the right?
then the split pedal could (with practise!!) be an advantage.

i had the idea a while ago to have the left and right sides of a car on seperate brake circuits. then have the pedal able to rotate at its pivot. so then the face of the pedal could be slightly wider than normal and the driver could slide his foot to the left to increase the braking on the left etc. i dont know if this would really give much of an advantage but it might allow one to brake later into a turn since you could vary the brake balance as thw weight shifts as you turn in.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:27 PM
Fanatic

There is a twin-engine VR6 Golf knocking about- it IS awesome. 0-60 takes 3.1 seconds, and the top speed (before one of the engines screwed an oil tube) was 175mph. Has anyone seen it? It's a bright blue thing, not unlike a few of my chops
Old 07-18-2005, 04:29 PM
Fanatic

Northampton, Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Quiggs Send a message via MSN to Quiggs
There was a twin VR6 Scirocco at Waterfest this weekend. I was too tired to hunt it down to take pics, but I'll see if I can find anything.

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
dads is too long so it wont fit
so i took hers out
and put mine in
Old 07-18-2005, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

nr Edinburgh, Whisky-soaked Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6
There is a twin-engine VR6 Golf knocking about- it IS awesome. 0-60 takes 3.1 seconds, and the top speed (before one of the engines screwed an oil tube) was 175mph. Has anyone seen it? It's a bright blue thing, not unlike a few of my chops
See http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...ad.php?t=15901 there's a vid in there too
Old 07-18-2005, 04:34 PM
Fanatic

Thank you... Jeez, look at the dials on the dashboard, it's like the guy has raided Halfords and only stolen from the "Extra gauges" section.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:26 PM
Fanatic

Idaho
What about the Volkswagen W12 Nardo, the Bentley Continental GT, and Audi A8?
Old 07-18-2005, 08:26 PM
Fanatic

Perth, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan
What about the Volkswagen W12 Nardo, the Bentley Continental GT, and Audi A8?
They're not twin engines, the W engines have a single crankshaft.

Also, some small japanese cars had an option for an electric motor to drive the rear wheels, thus creating psuedo AWD. I've not heard of this being an option outside of the country, though the Mitsubishi Eclipse concept had the same thing going. Interesting how the 2CV Sahara had separate gearboxes.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

UK
Send a message via MSN to Jack_Bauer
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyperl
i had the idea a while ago to have the left and right sides of a car on seperate brake circuits. then have the pedal able to rotate at its pivot. so then the face of the pedal could be slightly wider than normal and the driver could slide his foot to the left to increase the braking on the left etc. i dont know if this would really give much of an advantage but it might allow one to brake later into a turn since you could vary the brake balance as thw weight shifts as you turn in.
Man, talk about over-complicating things!

I imagine it would require an extraordinary amount of skill to be able to shift the brake balance to either side of the car. Plus it could make heel 'n' toeing a bit, erm, 'eventful' shall we say!

I know the McLaren F1 team had a "brake-steer" system on their late '97 and early '98 season cars, but sadly they were banned due to Ferrari's bitching and moaning! I believe the McLaren system used a seperate, smaller brake pedal just to the left of the main brake pedal. The second pedal sent more brake bias to the REAR of the car, not from one side to the other.

I think the idea was that the driver would roll his left foot to the left and feather the small brake pedal on turn-in to help kill any turn-in understeer. I think they also used it on exiting the corner to give some mechanical traction control benefits, I guess in a similar way to how some Moto GP riders feather the rear brake under hard acceleration. (At least that's what I remember from reading about it at the time.)
Old 07-19-2005, 11:12 AM
Enthusiast

Porto - Portugal
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyperl
what about having one engine power the left, the other the right?
then the split pedal could (with practise!!) be an advantage.

Why not.... get a computer to do that? single pedal and the PC computes the angle of the car, suspension geometry, and other important factors and distributes brake force
Old 07-19-2005, 11:18 AM
Enthusiast

Sible Hedingham, Essex, United Kingdom
Send a message via MSN to Suka
How about the Tiger Z100? Twin motorbike engines, one for the front wheels, one for the rear? The Tiger Z100WR was the quickest thing to 60.

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

nr Edinburgh, Whisky-soaked Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suka
How about the Tiger Z100? Twin motorbike engines, one for the front wheels, one for the rear? The Tiger Z100WR was the quickest thing to 60.
it 's RWD.
The two bike engines drive into a transfer box which combines their output.
It doesn't need AWD as it is light enough to be faster with RWD only.