Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honestly, what's with some people and rims?

Honestly, what's with some people and rims?

I just noticed that this has never really been brought up before...anyway...

Has anyone else noticed the huge percentage of the car population that is ridiculously obsessed with wheels? As if they are the key factor in how a car looks, and even performs. I think it's pretty ridiculous. Many look good, some better than others, but tires are what's much more important.

As far as I'm concerned, people generally put far too much stress on how much wheels affect a car. Especially this strange misconception that larger diameter rims make a car accelerate faster and/or handle "better". In most cases, either no difference will be noticable, or the performance will be adversely influenced.

This post was a thinkpeice. Don't flame. Any thoughts?

N@hh f00l my chromie spinnaz add like 200hp to my mofo Escalade, cruzin wit da home boyys...

Alot of people seem to think Rims + Bodykit = Sports Car. This probably explains alot concerning rims, apart from the cases like getting lighter rims than stock etc..

most of these people dont give a damn about performance, like the rappers wit maybach's on 22's
    Last edited by Egg Nog; 05-11-2004 at 11:51 PM.

My friends cant understand why i am putting old cheap small alloys on my Luego Velocity, its because its cheap, and i don't really care what its on just that it looks OK.
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

i think its ok...... personally i think the same way as you, but u know, if they can't tell the diff, they shouldn't really be boosting up their car's performance in the first place, which means "go ahead with ur bodykits and ur big azz rims, we dun giv a damn, just dun go around bragging about how fast u can go wit it"
    There's a automatic rice filter in being a gud mountain racer.... and that is "Skill"......

I agree Egg Nog.
    But, I don't let it get to me. I just remember that those same people are the ones who think this looks cool.

(grrr......its not letting me post my pic for some reason! never had a problem in the past. just check out the POTD at supercars.net -- may 12 2004)
    Last edited by bige321786; 05-12-2004 at 12:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fordfan2
    I disagree as they look really good (mainly the chrome rims), dont add speed but if you shop around you can get good packages of Rim's and tyres. And tyres do make a massive difference to the car performanc as if you have a bald tyre the cars going to slip and slide(especially in the rain) everywhere plus a new set of tyres can give you a smoother ride.
    i think egg nog meant the same thing... read again.....
    There's a automatic rice filter in being a gud mountain racer.... and that is "Skill"......

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    Has anyone else noticed the huge percentage of the car population that is ridiculously obsessed with wheels? As if they are the key factor in how a car looks, and even performs. I think it's pretty ridiculous. Many look good, some better than others, but tires are what's much more important.
    Well Shawn, you know the answer ... you just said it

Some people want their car to look better by putting some different rims on...And let's be realistic...In some cases DOES work .

Others care more about getting some thick tires and in order to do that you HAVE to get different rims.

As if they are the key factor in how a car looks
    Maybe not the key factor, but IMO is a big factor.

Just my opinion, take care guys

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx
    Others care more about getting some thick tires and in order to do that you HAVE to get different rims.
    Not forgetting wanting lower profiles and maintaining rolling radius.
    I'm going this way with the A610 as the front's still roll too much for my liking going in to corners.
    The downside is lower profile will make it way much more jittery and I'll lose some of the bump absorption
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Do you know what recently i have notcied? The amount of van drivers (as in LDV and stuff) that decide to get rims, i have nooo problem with the fact that they are builders/plumbers and what not as its a job,but WHY put "ghetto rimzzz" on a van that is purposely designed to look normal, designed to look like an authentic workmans van.Ok so put rims on your civics and preludes but not a bloody LDV
    ok i feel better now, just had to get that off my chest

Some rims do make the car looks better but some are just funny !

Spinners...that's what I'm talking about
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by byronleehk; 05-12-2004 at 10:49 AM.
    " I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect."

My bumper sticker "If you can read this...I can slam on my brakes and sue you"

i like the teddy bear and daisy rims...
    UCP's Most Hardcore Burro!

Being human explains everything but excuses nothing

Idiots who go to my school just HAVE to get big fat chrome for their pimped out rides. Someone got electrically controlled spinnaz, add 800 hp. Seriously, why not make your car look stupid and reduce your ride quality for a low price of $4000 for 20" chrome? It'll make your car waay faster. 17" Alloys are as far as I would go.

Quote Originally Posted by megotmea7
    i like the teddy bear and daisy rims...
    I was going to say that I think some wheels do enhance the appearance and that it it is not neccessarily a bad thing. Now im just going to agree with EggNog.
    Last edited by Egg Nog; 05-12-2004 at 08:08 PM.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

I think Rims are a great way to improve the looks on a car, my friend has a Mustang and at my school, if you don't have a civic or a VW, you have a Mustang, he got some sweet 5 spoke chrome rims, definitly made his car look better than everyone else's.

Thread Information