Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paid Subscription

Paid Subscription

just a quick question for the mods, what is the "supporting member" badge that's under your "super moderator" title? just noticed that this morning
    "We first fought the heathens in the name of religion, then Communism, and now in the name of drugs and terrorism. Our excuses for global domination always change." - Serj Tanikan

"Dusting is a good example of the futility of trying to put things right. As soon as you dust, the fact of your next dusting has already been established." - George Carlin

Good day,

We are gradually introducing new features to the site and forums, of which the supporting member setup is one. It is a paid subscription for which you'll receive a number of new features, designed to enhance your Ultimatecarpage.com experience. Most important of these is the total removal of ads for the subscribers, which together with the obvious benefits also turns Ultimatecarpage.com in one of the fastest loading sites on the internet. Yes it's the ads that cause the load times.
    You can find all the details in the user control panel or by clicking here: http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/subscriptions.php?

Although the official launch of the package will most likely be on Monday, we decided it offered so many benefits that we put it online as soon as it was tested.

Thanks for your support and enjoy your stay on Ultimatecarpage.com

Wouter Melissen
    Last edited by <AAA-MOD>; 10-13-2004 at 09:07 AM.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

What extra do you get from having a paid subscription ??

keep up the good work wouter
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

The details are listed on the subscription page at: http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/subscriptions.php?
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Sorry Wouter but i dont think ill take it up. no hard feelings.
    The Datto will rage again...

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Supra
    Sorry Wouter but i dont think ill take it up. no hard feelings.
    There's no reason it wouldn't.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

I looked through the list of advantages and i dont think that there are enough of them for me to pay

store up to 500 Personal Messages, create a custom user status, use larger avatars and have a 'Supporting Member' logo displayed next to all your forum messages.
    who really needs 500PM's ??
    youve already got your USER CP and information about you that others can see
    we dont really need bigger avatars

Exclusive access to the premium forums, where you can discuss site and forum matters with your fellow premium members and the site administrators.
    what are on the premuim forums ??
    Cant we discuss with administators ETC on the website discussion section ?
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

I dont have enough friends to warrant a 500 post inbox Not exactly a bank emptying price though .. im considering sigining up.

I agree with Mustang. And also feel that excluding some people from discussion because they are not paying members defeats the purpose of a forum. As it is, I'm sure the mods and founders can PM and have private discussions. I like the idea of not having adverts though. Why not charge a $5-10 premium on the upcoming T-shirts. With something tangible a lot more people will be willing to pay, IMO.

**maybe the T-shirt design can have a 'member since 200?' designation!!
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

There will be more advantages offered. As Wouter said, it hasn't been officially rolled out yet. Give it time. You people have this habit of flipping out immediately over any change and then after time realizing the error in your ways.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Mustang, the ones you mentioned are all just the additional features included. The key feature is the ad-free bit of the package, which will completely strip the site from the ads. Ads come at the expense of complex and long coding that takes a long time to load, taking them off completely leaves the bare site, which is blisteringly fast. This is hard to describe, but the load times have been decreased to almost 'instant'.

Advertising is going to get more aggressive, because of the easily attainable pop-up blockers. It's also only a matter of time before we are going to include ads on the forums as well.

I would like to stress that we decided not to take any of the current 'free' content away and move them to the subscription package, which would have been the easiest thing to do to make the subscriptions a success. However, there is a big chance that future features will only be available for the subscribers.

To wrap things up I would like to list the advantages again here:
    - Complete removal of ads -> supersonic Ultimatecarpage.com
    - More space in the PM-inbox, larger avatar, custom user title
    - Exclusive access to the premium forums
    Before Monday it will also include:
    - Complete specs on all cars (where available of course), similar to the spotlight cars

I hope this explains it a little bit more.

Thanks again for your time,
    Wouter Melissen

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang
    we dont really need bigger avatars
    yes we need ....
    Fun is not a straight line

UCP's only lancia lover ....

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    Why not charge a $5-10 premium on the upcoming T-shirts. With something tangible a lot more people will be willing to pay, IMO.

**maybe the T-shirt design can have a 'member since 200?' designation!!
    There is a fair chance that paid subscribers will get a discount on the upcoming merchandise. Charging more on the shirts does not give the buyer anything extra, this paid subscription does.

(Ted Joans)

Money always seems to be the most sensitive issue. Just economise on a few hamburgers and see if it's worth it. And for those who might ask the question, no I am not going to increase the size of my Avatar. It's Mini and should stay that.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    Money always seems to be the most sensitive issue. Just economise on a few hamburgers and see if it's worth it. And for those who might ask the question, no I am not going to increase the size of my Avatar. It's Mini and should stay that.

henk do you pay for that title

Wouter can you tell me what is on the premium forums ?? as i would be interested in knowing what exactly my money is going too,

at the moment i have no problem with the ads, im sure that it will be a bit slower than withought them but when im on the mai site - which isnt as much as the forum - i might get say 1 add poping up the whole time im on there.

Dont get me wrong im sure that this is a good idea. I agreed with the changes to the site a while ago, I agreed with the rep and everything else that has happened but i just dont think that there are enough advantages to be gained from paying.

Will there eventually be a larger amount of bandwidth or something ?

Thread Information