Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: The PC Discussion Thread

OverClock

Quote Originally Posted by NuclearCrap
    Anyway, can anyone find me articles on how to overclock a Leadtek PX6800GT? I found a lot of articles about overclocking other brands' cards but not Leadtek.
    do you have Winfast's Winfox or Winfox 2? It basically controls everything with sliders, just wind up the gpu-ram speed and gpu-clock speed till you get artifacts then wind it down a bit so there arent any. The best way to test for artifacts ive found is with 3dMark05. Go into the bios and crank up the pci-x frequency a bit as well. If its a 100 chuck it up to 110.
    Winfox will definately get the over clocking done and upping the pci-x speed in the bios just might help a bit too.
    Last edited by rb30; 04-05-2006 at 04:46 AM.
    "I'd rather let 1000 criminals get away than chase them..."
    Chief Wiggum.

Hi i was just reading through and noticed that Nuclear Crap has been directed to using a program to overclock his processor, and i have two mates that build PCs but im looking into overclocking my laptop from 2.8 to around 3.0.

The processor is a celeron(R) Cpu 2.8 i have 512 ram on it which i increased from 256 myself.

I have aske ny mates about doing it but there not that clued in as thay havent played around with any laptops.

So any help wouold be great, ive read that with some of the celerons you have to solder different pins so not too sure.
    TVR, Heres to Peter wheeler and his last creationg of the Scamander.

Coventry seriously sucks....

Bay Area, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way,
    Quote Originally Posted by rb30
    do you have Winfast's Winfox or Winfox 2? It basically controls everything with sliders, just wind up the gpu-ram speed and gpu-clock speed till you get artifacts then wind it down a bit so there arent any. The best way to test for artifacts ive found is with 3dMark05. Go into the bios and crank up the pci-x frequency a bit as well. If its a 100 chuck it up to 110.
    Winfox will definately get the over clocking done and upping the pci-x speed in the bios just might help a bit too.
    OHHHHH!!!! Thanks dude, I didn't know what Winfox was so I didn't install it. It's great.
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

Quote Originally Posted by matek
    Hi i was just reading through and noticed that Nuclear Crap has been directed to using a program to overclock his processor, and i have two mates that build PCs but im looking into overclocking my laptop from 2.8 to around 3.0.

The processor is a celeron(R) Cpu 2.8 i have 512 ram on it which i increased from 256 myself.

I have aske ny mates about doing it but there not that clued in as thay havent played around with any laptops.

So any help wouold be great, ive read that with some of the celerons you have to solder different pins so not too sure.
    Be VERY careful, laptops dont' handle extra heat extraction very well
    Why bother, for 10% faster clock cycle which will likely only produce a <5% actual performance improvement ?

Unless as I hinted earlier, is overclockgin now the ricing equivalent.
    Lots of claims over numbers and figures and actually not much "better" ?

Yes, Celerons limit the FSB speeds and link to clock speed on the chip. You need to break that connection. Bad idea if the processor is soldered in ( common on some notebook manufacturers )
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine

Unless as I hinted earlier, is overclockgin now the ricing equivalent.
    Lots of claims over numbers and figures and actually not much "better" ?
    on a school project we did got 40 % more power from a commodore 64 still little,but hey, it worked We also melted a school computer before,so we had to use this classic that was left

THanks Matra i think i wont bother i hate laptops on the respect its soo hard to upgrade them im fine using my pc its just i like the idea of the laptop being portable and everything as when have lan parties one mate has the ferrari laptop looks gay but is still a good machine and the fact is he only brings one bag.

totally different subject Is it possible to "steal/use"content from a flash site ? On a html site you can look into the source and track files,but not on a flash site. Is it possible ?

duno bout flash but i know you can def do it with html because we copied html coding for games flash games think of it and put them on sites that the skool didnt restrict. we were bored.

By the way i asked about overclocking the laptop and matra you said it wouldnt make a big enough difference, so how can i make counter strike run faster

Laptop spec
    Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R)2.8Ghz, 2,79Ghz
    Ram 512mb
    Grafix are shared at 64mb
    Hard disc isnt really relevant

And to from readin on the back its within requirments so what can i do, as its still lagging the game???

matek, it's the shared memory graphics that's hurting you.
    The processor is fast enough
    Any chance the laptop has a PCI-E slot ? You coudl add a mini grpahics car -- some are making them coz I saw a laptop setup that way, damned if I can remember what it was
    Other than that you're stuck !!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

He he thanks ahh well will have to carry on lugging mah PC around thank though

Peter, it's not what you think, overclocking has became a hobby for many ppl. Don't call it rice equivalent just because you think it's unnecessary. Yes, we all know the risks of overclocking long before you spoke about it, and we're willing to risk it for that little improvement in performance.

It became one of my hobbies in less than an hour.
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

NC, my "ricer" equivalency comment comes from the major efforts folks go to to make a benchmark 100 points higher than before.

One of the guys I taught got into it and for a while he had the fastest in teh UK on overclockers !!!! I knwo hte enjoyment in getting it right. BUT, the ONLY way to tell it was faster was the benchmark as there was NO discernible difference in the time real world apps and games took

When it gets to that level then it's not really that relevant except for bragging rights -- just like big fart cans

BTW, HIS ultimate was a sample chip that didn't have the Intel clock timing interlocks. I helped on that one as he water cooled it and the chipset AND the graphics card. Went like shit off a shovel .... and then it leaked

jsut as with ricers we ask WHY the big wing, the stikkas and the fart can ..... WHY overclock ? ( Note, SOME o/c makes sense esp Intel where you can buy the model below and clock it up to the one above and save $100 )

Look how many overclockers now add coloured cables, LED fans and El lamps Western Digital have now even produced a HD with a CLEAR top cover so you can watch the disc drive work

Quote Originally Posted by NuclearCrap
    OHHHHH!!!! Thanks dude, I didn't know what Winfox was so I didn't install it. It's great.
    no worries man, im glad it so easy.
    "I'd rather let 1000 criminals get away than chase them..."
    Chief Wiggum.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    NC, my "ricer" equivalency comment comes from the major efforts folks go to to make a benchmark 100 points higher than before.

One of the guys I taught got into it and for a while he had the fastest in teh UK on overclockers !!!! I knwo hte enjoyment in getting it right. BUT, the ONLY way to tell it was faster was the benchmark as there was NO discernible difference in the time real world apps and games took

When it gets to that level then it's not really that relevant except for bragging rights -- just like big fart cans

BTW, HIS ultimate was a sample chip that didn't have the Intel clock timing interlocks. I helped on that one as he water cooled it and the chipset AND the graphics card. Went like shit off a shovel .... and then it leaked

jsut as with ricers we ask WHY the big wing, the stikkas and the fart can ..... WHY overclock ? ( Note, SOME o/c makes sense esp Intel where you can buy the model below and clock it up to the one above and save $100 )

Look how many overclockers now add coloured cables, LED fans and El lamps Western Digital have now even produced a HD with a CLEAR top cover so you can watch the disc drive work
    Why? Because we can and it's not endangering other people like ricers with their street racing. It's our chips, let us do whatever we want with it as long as we're not doing anything bad to you. At least we are getting the performance, unlike ricers who get their "performance" with their stickers. Don't complain about all those lights and "rice-like" stuffs, I don't think others can put your life at risk just because they have these lights on their PCs, while ricers can when they shine those lights at you and disturb you when driving.

Again, we all know the risks, but we tend to do it anyway, and overclocking has nothing to do with lights and colored cables and such. Overclocking doesn't require people to install visual stuffs.
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

Man, NC, you have a WAY-biased opinion on ricers dont' you
    and not on over-clockers
    it's OK, it's called "gang mentality"

Thread Information