Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: First car game you ever played?

What's the Mega Drive? You say that you're young but you must be older than me if I don't know what a Mega Drive is.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    What's the Mega Drive? You say that you're young but you must be older than me if I don't know what a Mega Drive is.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_Drive

I'm older than it...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    If you referred to it as the Sega Genesis then I might have recalled it. Damn European names. Couldn't they just call it all the same.

I'm slightly younger than it.

I think the first game I can remember playing was the legendary Chase H.Q. on an arcade machine. The Porsche 928 will always have a special place in my heart because if it.

I think the first racing game I ever actually owned for my own system was Super Monaco GP on the Sega Game Gear. Ahh, the memories...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Monaco_GP
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

I first played this fantastic game well over forty years ago. Eventually the first one wore out but it's such a great game we just had to buy a replacement. Highly recommended for what it is (for kids) and one of the best things about it is that it does teach race strategy

I must have (along with my long suffering brother) done a million laps of Waddington's Formula 1
    2-6 players

Waddington's Formula 1 is, arguably, the benchmark against which all other motor racing board games must be measured. The reason is simple: skill is the predominant factor, while luck plays a just big enough part that the outcome is not entirely certain.

The central idea that makes the game worthwhile is that movement is fully under player control: the dice do not determine how many spaces you move. Each player gets a car; a dashboard with speedo, lap counter, and tyre and brake wear meters; and a number of 'tactic cards' which gain extra spaces: not enough to make luck in the shuffle excessive. The track is divided into spaces, and a car moves 1 space for every 20mph of its speed: at each turn a car may change speed within defined limits. The bends have maximum safe speeds posted, but these may be exceeded if a player wishes to risk a penalty determined by throwing two dice. Using 2 dice is a masterstroke (in comparison to other games) as it gives a non-uniform distribution of the various penalties, so that the severe ones are made less likely. The exact positioning of the bends was obviously worked out carefully since typical racing speeds always involve tough decisions about braking points and safety speeds, balancing wear penalties against loss of position. Pit stops allow tyres and brakes to be replaced but you risk a slow stop. A major feature with some players is baulking: most bends are only 2 lanes wide, so ending your move on one can force an opponent down the slower inside lane or even make him/her lose some of his/her turn. Typically, you plan about 3 turns ahead, modifying the plan as you see what happens to the other drivers.

Various modifications to the rules exist, and with few players (or more than 1 game set), people often play teams of cars.

I never understood why they stopped making this game: if you ever see it anywhere, buy it.

my first ever was Top Gear for the SNES. I played that game all the time, i think i beat it once, but it just started over... you got to choose from 4 different cars based on speed, acceleration, and gas mileage.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    the first one I can remember is RC Pro Am for the nintendo.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RC_Pro_Am

Last edited by digitalcraft; 05-07-2007 at 05:10 PM.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

need for speed 2: special edition!!!
    I really like the XJ220

didnt anybody play bump and jump? i loved that one. all u could do was jump over cars and i think you could change lanes but that was it.
    www.myspace.com/kasaky

I started my simulated racing in the early 90's with Commodore 64's WEC LeMans, later followed by Pitstop II on the same platform. They were both good fun back then. Pitstop II even had multiplayer, so with friends it was unbeatable.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jeez.....this thread brings back memories....the first game I played was the old F1 GP series....we had to play it from a floppy disk...no scenery...no nothing..you could still pick the Mclaren ..a Ferrari & a williams....& it was the 3 or 3.5l Turbo cars if memory serves me correct...the 80's seem far away....
    Fo' Shizzle ...My Nizzle

So many memories...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    The seconds was one I played at a friends one in his 386, yes back then this was considered high tech... It was called Grand Prix, and it was epic. I remember I though it was the best and most realist game I had ever seen. Of course looking at it now...
    IIRC there was a C64 game called Grand Prix as well, a friend of mine had it and it would've probably been one of the first car games I've ever played. It probably looked even cruder then the game you posted.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalcraft View Post
    the first one I can remember is RC Pro Am for the nintendo.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RC_Pro_Am
    This was also one of the first car games I ever played, and it was great fun!
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

I don't remember if it was GP2 or Lotus Challenge.. But the first one i loved was Network Q RAC Rally.. Great rally game

I had an atari 7800 Grand prix, enduro, Dragster where all great fun...then came the first compouter we owned when iwas 8 which my uncle put the origonal test drive on for us
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

Stunts and streetrod (1&2)

Horsepower wins races. Torque pulls trailers.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.

Thread Information