Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Double Clutching?

Double Clutching?

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if double clutching is used anymore. I know what it is... When you press the clutch in to shift into neutral, then depress the clutch. Then press the clutch back in to shift into your next gear.

Does anyone do this anymore and is it needed/ beneficial? I know it's supposed to be easier on your gears etc. Should you do it with newer cars, trucks, or was it mostly for older vehicles?

Most people just put the clutch in to shift out of gear and into their next gear.

Thanks for your help!
    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    -Rita Mae Brown-

Quote Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
    Does anyone do this anymore and is it needed/ beneficial? I know it's supposed to be easier on your gears etc. Should you do it with newer cars, trucks, or was it mostly for older vehicles?
    If you know what you're doing, of course its easier on the vehicle. When driving a manual I find myself doing the double shuffle - along with heel & toe on the downchange - pretty much all the time, just instinctual and 'force of habit'. And its fun

ive taken to the double clutching coupled with heel toeing on my rx-7, it is required to downshift as the synchros in 1 and 2 are non-existent. in newer cars its really not necessary, but not bad for the car.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Fun and when you're really going for it, it helps to not lock the drive wheels.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Considering I rarely hear of broken or damaged gearboxes (apart from some LOL GT-Rs ), it's probably pointless in non extreme cars.

The clutches of the first generation of common rail cars were already quite stressed for the higher torque and probably a lack of proper development or the use of older turbo diesel clutches, so maybe double clutching could've been even worst for them...?
    just a guess.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Considering I rarely hear of broken or damaged gearboxes (apart from some LOL GT-Rs ), it's probably pointless in non extreme cars.
    Used to be not uncommon (particularly in japanese cars) for the 2nd gear syncro to clap out well under 80,000 kms

Even recently I've encountered everyday cars merely 7 y/o but with tired syncros, so not necesarily pointless imo

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    If you know what you're doing, of course its easier on the vehicle. When driving a manual I find myself doing the double shuffle - along with heel & toe on the downchange - pretty much all the time, just instinctual and 'force of habit'. And its fun
    Ditto.

Also certain cars with a lot of torque/HP have very stiff 'boxes that need to be double clutched when cold.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Used to be not uncommon (particularly in japanese cars) for the 2nd gear syncro to clap out well under 80,000 kms

Even recently I've encountered everyday cars merely 7 y/o but with tired syncros, so not necesarily pointless imo
    could it be due to poor usage rather than not double clutching?
    Pointless was perhaps a bit too much, but I don't see it as a necessary thing on a new Fiat Punto (or even an used mk1 one), for instance.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

hhmm
    never heard of this technique though
    i only had one car which was manual and that was a E36 325i coupé and i never used this technique but i never had any trouble with the gear box... even though it had 250.000 km on the meter

if i ever have a manual car again i will try to use this technique

dfh, for normal driving it is unecessary to double DE-clutch.
    ONLY a benefit when driving VERY hard and desire to keep the car balanced on entering corner and readying for acceleration (hard) out of it.

i've heard that double clutching on a regular car with synchro's in all gears, its pointless to double clutch. heel and toe is still very much used. i've never double clutched since i learned on the civic. i rev match downshifts but never double clutch. works fine for me. i know on older trucks and cars without synchro's you have to
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

I'm always granny shifting, not double clutching like I should

I must admit, I had not heard of this technique before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Fun and when you're really going for it, it helps to not lock the drive wheels.
    How so?
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx View Post
    I'm always granny shifting, not double clutching like I should
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    Ditto.

Also certain cars with a lot of torque/HP have very stiff 'boxes that need to be double clutched when cold.
    Cue Falcon 1983.

Extremely stiff box when cold etc. Just reached 241,000, you think it'd be an idea to try?

Anyone care to elaborate on heel-toe? I know its braking & accelerating with right foot but other than that
    Miscommunication seems to be a direct result of misplaced, text based sarcasm.

Thread Information