Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BMW S 1000 RR Motorcycle

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    The car uses the non-driven wheel's speed as reference, on a bike on hard acceleration the front wheel speed can be zero....
    So 4 wheel drive cars can't have traction control?

All these new systems must use a computer program that reads the wheel rotation, suden increases in rpm, G-force, etc, calculates it all and assumes the wheels are starting to spin.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    But the dynamic of the bikes wants the front be in the air when accelerating, you are doing 100% weight transfer and you get traction. But you need to still control that without wheel spin.....I did some reading I guess in MotoGP they use GPS beacon to get relative ground speed when the front wheel is off the ground...I'd think they wouldn't do that on a road bike...
    The front doesn't always want to be in the air. It wants to be where the rider tells it to be, whether that's firmly on the ground, skimming the road, or up at balance point. As for MotoGP, the GPS systems used there are to maximise tranction control performance by tailoring it to every individual corner, not to make it work. They also used the GPS systems to control fuel and ignition mapping for the same purposes.

The DTC systems read wheel speeds, RPM, gears, speed, bank angle, tilt angle, basically everything they can. These systems aren't new to bikes, they've been used in MotoGP and Superbike for a few years now, they're just new to road bikes. And even then, that's only been an issue with what to do to stop slip, as the earlier systems cut spark, dumping fuel into the exhausts and ruining the cats on road bikes.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

headlights look cool! high beam and low beam look.

so when is the 600cc version gonna come out?
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Quote Originally Posted by coolieman1220 View Post
    headlights look cool! high beam and low beam look.

so when is the 600cc version gonna come out?
    I am not sure a 600 is planned - this bike I think is basically a homologation special - maybe if it is a success a 600 will follow after? This is a sheer guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    this bike I think is basically a homologation special
    Nope, it's a full production model. Unfortunately homologation specials seem to be extinct now More's the shame. And no, there won't be 600, the rumour has BMW copying Triumph and building a 675 triple. (MV are supposedly doing the same.)
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Don't BMW own Triumph in someway? Here in Canada at least they are sold out of the same BMW dealerships...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Nope, owned by a guy named John Bloor.
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    Nope, it's a full production model. Unfortunately homologation specials seem to be extinct now More's the shame. And no, there won't be 600, the rumour has BMW copying Triumph and building a 675 triple. (MV are supposedly doing the same.)
    I thought that they were only making enough of these to qualify for partaking in SBK.

Intially. They had to make 250 (I think) this year to qualify to run in WSBK this year, the bike will be in full production and on sale early next year. Which is interesting since BMW were one of the teams whinging about RSV4 being a prototype, not a Superbike, but the RSV4 is hitting customers within the next month or two.
    – Hunter Thompson

Thanks for that 2cc; good to know.

Shame they are doing so poorly in WSBK.

They're not doing poorly. It's only their first season, and Corser just can't qualify well in Superpole. Plus their power delivery issues aren't helping.
    – Hunter Thompson

I have to say it looks... Odd. Not just as a bike, but as a BMW bike, but that might be because i associate BMW bikes with big 1300cc semi-touring machines.

I do like it thought, it has some sort of soul to it. It's like it's winking at you, asking you to take it for a ride.

Edit: Having seen the video of it. I have actually fallen quite abit in love with it. If it weren't for thoose skyrocketing prices on vehicles in Denmark, i might even have gotten myself one (Either that, or the KTM equivelant, The RC8)

But alas, i now have my car to take care of, but once in the future that gets sold, and used bikes appear. Who knows.
    Last edited by Buen; 05-16-2009 at 11:03 AM.

Thread Information