Thread: 2011 Volvo C30 R-Designg

2011 Volvo C30 R-Designg

Wow, it's been a really REALLY long time since I've been on UCP! Studying Mechanical Engineering at a senior military college really does take up every ounce of free time.

I used to obsess over what my first car would be and did a lot of drooling over used BMWs, Audis, and Ferrari 360s, but I'm not a high schooler with $400 in my bank account anymore. Thanks to the US Army, I actually get to buy a new car! I'm pretty focused on the idea of picking up a 2011 Volvo C30 R-Design, especially since they knocked $7000 off the sticker price of a near fully-loaded model. If UCP's still as good as it always was then I look forward to hearing what you all have to say.

What does everyone think of the new C30? Do any of you have one?

(See attached for the R-Design edition)
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would stick with the standard model. Smaller wheels and softer suspension will help the ride comfort while maintaining the handling.

Other than that it seems like a good choice.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Nice to have you back sweeny!

I would just suggest that you test drive many cars in the class (even in some others) and then make a choice based on that.

Good luck, and show us pics when you get it!

Does anyone know how well the B5254T7 (Turbo I-5) runs? I know it's standard in a bunch of other cars, so surely someone's driven one.

nice car. Volvo has really come out of their boxy is good shell and made some superb cars this year. I would still test drive other compact coupes before I just buy one but the overall look of that car is cool.

I've liked that car since it first came out, it's a little pricey in that class but it'd be one I'd look long and hard at. I've never driven one or anything though so I can't be much help.

I'd cross shop it with GTI, WRX, and maybe even new Focus...

I'd probably put Volvo in the same bracket as VW though...probably nice cars, but long term reliability is unknown....at least compare with the Toyota/Honda of the world....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Mine old one's done about 240,000kms with an earlier high pressure turbo version of that engine, if you look after it that I5 will go for ever. Other things needed replacing, but you get that after so long. Reliability shouldn't be a problem, but then mine was from the pre-Ford days...
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    I'd cross shop it with GTI, WRX, and maybe even new Focus...

I'd probably put Volvo in the same bracket as VW though...probably nice cars, but long term reliability is unknown....at least compare with the Toyota/Honda of the world....
    You can consider it as a "premium" Focus mk2, the one you never got over there.
    Reliability was pretty much great I'd say.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

My girlfriend's father has a C30. He always mentions how he gets a lot of people coming up to him and saying how nice his car is, which is something that didn't happen in his old V70 Probably the most expensive/sporty looking vehicle in its class.

I know nothing of how it drives, however.

I like the styling of the earlier C30 better. Cool car.

Great car i love the C30, go for it and buy the R-Design, it makes it a bit more sporty, but like other have said test drive many cars in the same class, you could also consider a VW Scirocco, thats if you like it.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by thebrochureman View Post
    Great car i love the C30, go for it and buy the R-Design, it makes it a bit more sporty, but like other have said test drive many cars in the same class, you could also consider a VW Scirocco, thats if you like it.
    He lives in America so that's a no go on the Scirocco.

As for the C30, I think it looks great, especially with the R-Design package, but I have no experience driving it or any friends who have driven it.

Definitely give it a look. I have always thought the C30 was a nice looking car and the current one is certainly no different.

The family bought a 2010 V70 R Design last July and for the most part it has been satisfying. The throttle response/tranny are a little suspect(would probably be solved if it had a manual gearbox), so look out for that when test driving. The turbo five would probably get a bit better mileage than the 6 cylinder in our car. Overall though, it is moderately sporty and rides nice and quiet so I'd imagine the C30 would have similar traits.

i dunno how i missed this. i think i would have to say thats definately a hot hatch. volvos are known for being comfortable cars and good cars overall. ive never liked their styling but this one looks nice

Thread Information