Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need some advice choosing a dSLR

Need some advice choosing a dSLR

Hi guys,

Because of a surprisingly low book-bill and a lower repair bill then expected for my car, this summer I will have 700€ left. A long cherished dream is to get an dSLR, but I am not really sure what to get exactly.

My demands for the camera:

- 5 MP +
    - Proper (manual adjustable) flash available for night photography
    - Low noise levels at higher ISO-values (like 1600).
    - RAW available
    - Preferably light-ish weight
    - Robust for transport through crowded subways and busses. Gotta be able to take some impacts, like my current Fuji.
    - Memory card has to be included in the price.
    - Atleast one lense also included.
    - Adjustable viewer to accomodate differences in my two eyes (-1 left and +1 right )

Some of the camera's I have looked at:

- Pentax *ist DL 18-55 for about 400€.
    - Nikon D40 with 18-55 for about 500€
    - Second hand Nikon D70 for about 700€ and various accesories.
    - Canon Eos 400d + 18-55mm lense for minimum 700€

Spending this amount of money on a camera is pretty unique for me. It is a lot of money for me and I will probably never in the next couple of years be able to buy another thing similar. Lenses are also not something I can really buy often. Therefor I want to take my time to think about this properly, so that I make sure I make the right decision.

What do you guys think of each camera ? How is each one's reliability ? How do I get the best value for my money ? Which brand has the best lenses for the least money, if I want to upgrade later ? Any advice is more than welcome.

Thanks so much in advance guys !!!

if you're in such limited budget go 350D not 400D .... and always think canon
    Fun is not a straight line

UCP's only lancia lover ....

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    What's your problem with me, since I stopped my premium membership ? You need the money so bad or something ? Well too bad for you, since I can barely afford my rent each month.
    this summer I will have 700€ left.

Anyway...
    - Low noise levels at higher ISO-values (like 1600). Any of these will blow you away with how little noise they have.
    - RAW available all have RAW
    - Preferably light-ish weight this really shouldn't be a priority. go for features and quality first then weight.
    - Robust for transport through crowded subways and busses. then don't get the Canon
    - Memory card has to be included in the price. usually if you get an SLR with a lens and memory card both are going to be sub-par
    - Atleast one lense also included. read above
    - Adjustable viewer to accomodate differences in my two eyes most people have one eye that they use for the viewfinder, but most SLRs also have an adjustable diopter

Some of the camera's I have looked at:

- Pentax *ist DL 18-55 for about 400€.
    - Nikon D40 with 18-55 for about 500€
    - Second hand Nikon D70 for about 700€ and various accesories.
    - Canon Eos 400d + 18-55mm lense for minimum 700€

stay away from the kits. they typically do not have good lenses.
    I would recommend a D50 because the D40 is pretty restricted and the D70 is old and has alot more noise that all the others you mentioned. I would stay away from entry level Canons because they feel like toys and 90% of the weight is on the left 50% where the lens is and it just feels unbalanced.

If you can find a used 20D that would be a good option though. For lenses, I love my Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 Macro, it's about $400 new so whatever that is in Euros, then you could probably find a used one.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Quote Originally Posted by stratos View Post
    if you're in such limited budget go 350D not 400D .... and always think canon
    NEVAR!

Entry level canons are the suck.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche View Post
    NEVAR!

Entry level canons are the suck.
    omg you are bloody kidding with me!! ... ROFTLLLLLL!!!!!!

I would stay away from entry level Canons because they feel like toys and 90% of the weight is on the left 50% where the lens is and it just feels unbalanced.
    seriously you have said it all m8! ... i won't even say nothing to you m8

i can do nothing else just than laugh !!! xD!!!

laugh all you want. He's right. Canon's are only the good choice if you're looking to buy a top-level camera. Otherwise the Mid-range DSLR's such as the Nikon D50 and the Pentax *ist DS/k100D are by far a better choice than the 400D at Drakkies price range.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik View Post
    laugh all you want. He's right. Canon's are only the good choice if you're looking to buy a top-level camera. Otherwise the Mid-range DSLR's such as the Nikon D50 and the Pentax *ist DS/k100D are by far a better choice than the 400D at Drakkies price range.
    The 400D might be one to consider if you keep upgrading in mind... Get the 400D, build up a PROPER lens collection, and then upgrade to a better body at a later date when you have more usable income.

Plus, the accessory range for canon is so much better too.

Not sure what to reccomend, what would NOT reccomend is a D40 - they don't have an autofocus motor built in to the body - so if your lens doesn't have a motor - it's gonna be manual focus time.
    ...Utah! Get me two...

As said it was a pretty unexpected bonus. Books only hit in at 900€ this year, with me expecting 1100. Also the repairs to my cars fell out lots lower. I expected 1300-ish and it turned out 800. Yesterday I had no clue of this yet. Sorry for the confusion man.

Anyway thank you all for the advice. I have heard from various people though, never to buy camera's second-hand. My dad is a strong believer in that especially. With the D50 i would almost automatically land in the 2nd hand market. What do you guy's think about these kind of things ?
    Last edited by drakkie; 08-24-2007 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik View Post
    well i do guess so ... i simply guess that for example one of world top bird shooters uses a CANON 350D, it really must be a crappie camera, only disadvantage is that 100% of weight balance of his camera its on lens not in body ( a sigma 300-800 to be more precise )

Quote Originally Posted by Sauc3 View Post
    Get the 400D, build up a PROPER lens collection, and then upgrade to a better body at a later date when you have more usable income.
    Bingo
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Canon 400D (XTi) and a 50mm f/1.4. Great low-light lens, if that's what you need...
    (yes the 1.8 is cheaper, but the build quality and focus is not as good)

edit: if money is still an issue, the 350D is very similar to the 400D..
    Last edited by illusionest; 08-24-2007 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauc3
    Get the 400D, build up a PROPER lens collection, and then upgrade to a better body at a later date when you have more usable income.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Bingo
    in so tight budget do you think its good stuff to be able to stay couple of month with a 18-55?

imo not great difference from 400D and 350D except the self cleaning sensor and couple more megapixels and huge nasty screen, so is the extra bucks worth for the 400D

well if ur gonna get a D40, get it with the 18-135 lens and SB-400 flash

if you can find a D50 BUY IT they don't make it anymore so. the D40 is too small though it doesn't feel right when ur shooting

i have fell in love with a D80 same size as D50, much more feature but it may be out of ur range.

i currently use a D50 btw. memory cards are cheap too

D40 has a nice menu and screen interface and bios but the lack of an external top screen isn't cool and out of norm. D50 has poor screen for review D80 is super great. D200 is super amazing great heavy and expensive super durable and does it all. D200 w/ 18-200 ahhh amazing. no auto mode though so u have to adjust all the time
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Personally, i adore my D40. I would say get a D40X, but i think you should spend the money difference on a lens and/or flashgun.

I also love the D40 menus, ease of use and the way it feels in my hand (despite what Coolieman feels, i still think it feels great).

My £0.02 = D40 + 18-135.

However, getting a D50 would not be a bad decision in the sense that getting lens' would be much cheaper. I just love my camera, it encouraged me to take loadsa pics. My only disappointment was the fact I didn't have a zoom lens for the Silverstone Grand Prix...

Thread Information