Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Monaco 2005

Williams worries arent over though. They compromised top speed for corner speed, and they were still down the list for the fastest laps of the race. No doubt though things will come easier for them now though, although with BAR back next week and Renault coming with a vengeance, the nest race could again be a dissapointment for them.

And theres still those starts of course.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer
    There have been a couple of nasty incidents in the cycling recently, it really is a terribly dangerous sport. I don't watch it in a major way other than the Tour de France but I tend to catch the highlights on Eurosport. There was one incident earlier in the Giro where a guy clipped a wheel on a descent and fell sideways almost decapitating himself on an armco. I'm not sure the extent of the poor guy but I remember him being carted off in a neck brace. Then there was the incident in a sprint finish last week where the winner boxed his competitor out and sent him into the metal railings at about 35-40mph. Very nasty looking accident.

Think I'd rather crash in a Formula 1 race than in a pro cycling race! (As long as I don't have to pick up the bill! )
    the guy who fell on the Armco was Lopez de Munain, who really suffered injury, with a couple of broken ribs and a lung perforation. Apparently his condition has now improved, but yes this was a very serious accident. There have been many less serious falls as well, but this is really close racing. You also have to realise that is only since a couple of years that crash helmets have become mandatory. after the Kazakh Kivilev died in the Paris-Nice race. The guy who fell in the sprint (Baden Cooke) walked away unharmed, but very angry. The guy who pushed him in the fence (Bettini) got disqualified.

Attached is a pic of the remains of my frame after hitting a piece of concrete (entirely my fault), total damage: 700 Euro, so affordable. (New frame and front wheel). But I will always cherish the memories of going downhill doing more than 80 kph which really stimulates the adrenalin production. On Saturday the Giro took some Dolomite passes that I did myself in 2002 (at a considerably lower pace )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    the guy who fell on the Armco was Lopez de Munain, who really suffered injury, with a couple of broken ribs and a lung perforation. Apparently his condition has now improved, but yes this was a very serious accident. There have been many less serious falls as well, but this is really close racing. You also have to realise that is only since a couple of years that crash helmets have become mandatory. after the Kazakh Kivilev died in the Paris-Nice race. The guy who fell in the sprint (Baden Cooke) walked away unharmed, but very angry. The guy who pushed him in the fence (Bettini) got disqualified.

Attached is a pic of the remains of my frame after hitting a piece of concrete (entirely my fault), total damage: 700 Euro, so affordable. (New frame and front wheel). But I will always cherish the memories of going downhill doing more than 80 kph which really stimulates the adrenalin production. On Saturday the Giro took some Dolomite passes that I did myself in 2002 (at a considerably lower pace )
    Perhaps at your age you should be considering something a littl more like this.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Quote Originally Posted by crisis
    Perhaps at your age you should be considering something a littl more like this.
    Perhaps, but instead I bought a new Vector (just to please Karrmann)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    Perhaps, but instead I bought a new Vector (just to please Karrmann)
    That seat looks sharp.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Quote Originally Posted by crisis
    That seat looks sharp.
    "yes" (came a high-pitched voice)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer
    Woobens Barrichello
    Lol!!
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

I am a bit confused by what happened to Renault.

During the pre-season and first few races they were the second best team on tyre wear, after McLaren.

Now they can't get the tyres to last 50 laps before deteriorating.
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    I am a bit confused by what happened to Renault.

During the pre-season and first few races they were the second best team on tyre wear, after McLaren.

Now they can't get the tyres to last 50 laps before deteriorating.
    I think Renault themselves were a bit confused by it!

FA said before the race that he wasn't giving much consideration to tyre wear as he didn't think it would be an issue. I know they introduced several new aero mods for Monaco, maybe they'd never been properly tested over long runs before so they wouldn't know how badly the tyres would react?
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

From what I heard Alonso was on the harder of the two compounds and KR on the softer of the two, so the Renault must be eating into the tires like crazy.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    From what I heard Alonso was on the harder of the two compounds and KR on the softer of the two, so the Renault must be eating into the tires like crazy.
    Apparently Montoya's rears where almost slick as well, although he caught up to Alonso quickly enough...
    Thanks for all the fish

i thought that the put grooves onto the f1 tires to reduce grip from the slicks they used to use.
    how come now when the tires becomes virtually slicks they lose grip?

Remember that Renault used the SC at 1/3 distance to fully fuel the car and go for the long second stint.

it really took the tyres into an area they woudln't have normally been in race conditions and mayeb they've not tested there so much.

It was a risk that NEARLY paid off
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by derekthetree
    i thought that the put grooves onto the f1 tires to reduce grip from the slicks they used to use.
    how come now when the tires becomes virtually slicks they lose grip?
    Because the compound is different and by the time the grooves are wearing there is little tread left for the tyre to use for mechanical grip.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Pitting too early made the Renaults too heavy and definitely sacrificed their tyre wear and performance.
    Would it be possible, to play forever?
    The conclusion reached was that a player is inevitably doomed to lose.

Thread Information