Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Honda set to quit F1

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    So basically, we can still buy Honda F1...
    I thought you already payed that dollar!
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    I thought you already payed that dollar!
    You know... the credit market has disappeared these past months...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I'm just curious to see which will be the next company to move out of the F1. I just read an article in which the Ferarri boss mentioned that he might cut the payments for the drivers. Interesting to see how they react if they get a million bucks less but still make 4 million.

I wish People would get off the $1 price tag, that is merely a symbolic financial figure. The real cost of aquiring Honda will be upwards of $150 million/yr. Min. NO sponsers, No engine! Who? In their right Mind would do so? If it was My Money I would wait for STR to come up for sale, better Price, more competitive Team! Not that STR is for sale, but it may go on the Blocks this Year. IMO. Don't forget, We could lose another Team before March.
    Last edited by forager; 12-30-2008 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by forager View Post
    I wish People would get off the $1 price tag, that is merely a symbolic financial figure. The real cost of aquiring Honda will be upwards of $150 million/yr. Min. NO sponsers, No engine! Who? In their right Mind would do so? If it was My Money I would wait for STR to come up for sale, better Price, more competitive Team! Not that STR is for sale, but it may go on the Blocks this Year. IMO. Don't forget, We could lose another Team before March.
    why another team before of March?
    Ferrari, McLaren, Renault, BMW, STR, RBR, Toyota, ForceIndia, are surelly fine. Williams never seemed to be on the chop, so I'm quite curious about the other time leaving the company.

and Honda itself said running the team next year should cost about 40 millions, not 150.
    besides, it also said it would help technically and financially the new owner.
    regarding the sponsor, it's not that it's impossible to find some new ones, even if a team with some contracts would have been more interesting o some.
    I think Honda has actually a great potential, even bigger than STR.
    surely the management sucked recently (while it was brilliant at STR).

i think if you read the entire thread you will see that that has been discussed before.

like leon, i doubt that STR will be going under any time soon. falling under the huge red bull umbrella allows them to have some very deep pockets. that coupled with their success this year pretty much says that they will be around a few more years. honda has sucked. williams has sucked. force india has sucked. those are the ones that will have a higher propensity to fail. and hoda has done just that. i could see toyota throwing in the towell as well, since their F1 enterprise has netted them a big goose egg of success.

and forager, its nice to see your creative punctuation and capitalization back on the boards.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

First Guys, I did not imply that STR was going to Fold. I simply meant that it would be the better deal. Remember that Honda comes with some 700 Employees. There is no way You could re-engineer the Honda for a new Engine in less than 3 Mos., Make all the Races for anywhere near $40 mil. The Lawyers will make Millions just writing the Contract! As of Today, I believe there is a 50/50 chance that the Team won't be Purchased. I also believe Toyota is waiting, remember that the Bean Counters are probably right Freaked over Their 1st. loss in 70 yrs.

First Guys, I did not imply that STR was going to Fold. I simply meant that it would be the better deal. Remember that Honda comes with some 700 Employees. There is no way You could re-engineer the Honda for a new Engine in less than 3 Mos., Make all the Races for anywhere near $40 mil. The Lawyers will make Millions just writing the Contract! As of Today, I believe there is a 50/50 chance that the Team won't be Purchased. I also believe Toyota is waiting, remember that the Bean Counters are probably right Freaked over Their 1st. loss in 70 yrs.
    first bold part: what does that mean?
    and btw, any insider's info for saying that?

second bold part: why?
    probably they were prepared for that since the economy begun sinking, or even before.
    Like Fiat's CEO, Marchionne, who declared they are fine with the crisis, and that they also think it could turn out being something good helping in getting rid of a lot of "bad habits" in the automotive system or redundant issues going on for years, even though they closed all the assembly lines for about a 3 or 4 weeks.
    they are ready to face worrying-less 6 additional months of this situation. but if the second part of 2009 won't seem like improving, that would be something to think about (and they are already thinking about that since now).

In the early part of Dec. Brawn stated that the design of the Car was basically finished, ready to go for 09. Honda has since confirmed that they won't supply engines. Hence, the redesign. No buyer yet, no Engine deal yet. That makes for a very small time frame, doe's it not? Now, maybe, this is why Ferrari let Force India out of Their Contract. Maybe there is a connection there? Brawn/Ferrari, total supposition on My part! The Fact is, The Team needs an Engine, Today! Honda wants guarantees from Whomever That Their Employees will be taken care of for some period of time. Richards referred to the Overheads. That's what He meant.
    Last edited by forager; 12-30-2008 at 12:07 PM. Reason: spelling errors

Depending on what party purchases the team, sponsors will come.

If Carlos Slim buys Honda, he has his TELMEX empire and all other businesses.

David Richards and Prodrive have British interests and backing from Abu Dhabi.

Zytek, The Carlos Slim interest has been flat out denied. Havn't heard any thing from Dave Richards/10 days? He"s a sharp Cookie! If nobody buys the Team. How many Pennies to Dollars will Honda consider selling the Facillities for? Look, I hope Somebody does buy the Team, but Devestation presents Oppertunities. Fools rush in where Billionares wait for the Deal. IMO

Zytek, The Carlos Slim interest has been flat out denied. Havn't heard any thing from Dave Richards/10 days? He"s a sharp Cookie! If nobody buys the Team. How many Pennies to Dollars will Honda consider selling the Facillities for? Look, I hope Somebody does buy the Team, but Devestation presents Oppertunities. Fools rush in where Billionares wait for the Deal. IMO
    Just because it's been denied doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

True! but I have heard more Denials than the origanal news story.

In the early part of Dec. Brawn stated that the design of the Car was basically finished, ready to go for 09. Honda has since confirmed that they won't supply engines. Hence, the redesign. No buyer yet, no Engine deal yet. That makes for a very small time frame, doe's it not? Now, maybe, this is why Ferrari let Force India out of Their Contract. Maybe there is a connection there? Brawn/Ferrari, total supposition on My part! The Fact is, The Team needs an Engine, Today! Honda wants guarantees from Whomever That Their Employees will be taken care of for some period of time. Richards referred to the Overheads. That's what He meant.
    can you provide a link to the news related to the fact Honda is not going to supply engines?
    Besides, it's not correct saying that changing the engine require a new design of the car.
    Red Bull Racing and Scuderia Toro Rosso run the same car, that's no secret.
    but they use two different engines, just as an example.

and, could you try to make your posts just a little easier to read?
    my eyes are hurting.

With the engine freeze lasting a few more years, it would be completely sensible for Honda to continue to supply engines.

Thread Information