Thread: Peugeot release yet another pointless concept car

Peugeot release yet another pointless concept car

I can't help but think that Peugeot's time would be better spent making decent road cars that they will actually build and sell, rather than pointless ego-boosting like this.

Why not spend all that cash developing the 207 into a decent, Clio 197 rivalling hot hatch - or a city car that isn't total rubbish, with a totally rubbish name (1007)?

It's like when Honda were faffing about in the desert trying to make their 05 F1 car do 400kp/h - why in god's name were they cocking about with that when their F1 team is doing so badly?

I appreciate the need to generate media interest, but when a company is in as much trouble as Peugeot is - I can't understand why they're spending so much time basically nicking other people's ideas.... Aston Martin Rapide, anyone? And the 907 from last year was just a total mish-mash of current supercars, with horredously out-dated wheels.

WHY? WHY? WHY?!
    Last edited by MrKipling; 08-16-2006 at 08:14 AM.
    www.crash.net/motoring/roadcars/news/home/

PR and media attention

I don't get you man... why call the 1007 rubbish if it's one of the best city cars you can get? And the 207 is IMO a great looking car that can compete with both the Clio as the Megane...
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

Quote Originally Posted by jorismo
    I don't get you man...
    Obviously.... the 1007 is a heap of crap. The 207 'hot version' will almost certainly go the same way as the 206 GTi 180, mediocrity.

That 908 RC must have cost a fortune... they need to get their priorities right.
    www.crash.net/motoring/roadcars/news/home/

I don't get you man... why call the 1007 rubbish if it's one of the best city cars you can get? And the 207 is IMO a great looking car that can compete with both the Clio as the Megane...
    The 1007 might be a good city car,but it is way overpriced It will go the same way as the audi A2

Quote Originally Posted by MrKipling
    That 908 RC must have cost a fortune... they need to get their priorities right.
    Actually what they do must be judged in a few years, as this concept car is part of a longer term strategy.

They state that they intend to contend Le Mans with a Diesel powered prototype. So, according to them, this engine is related to that racing engine. And after they compete, this technology will transfer to their road cars.

Now, all knowledgeable people know that transfering race technology to road cars is quite a task, and it probably won't happen. But as a promotional exercise, it paid real dividents with Audi, both on their FSI engines, and now on their TDi power plants. It's what Ferrari do with their road cars (e-diff, manettino etc.)

So, the whole point of the 908 is to transmit the sporting image of Peugeot through the engine. That's why they made it a Mid-engined 4-seater.
    Last edited by lightweight; 08-16-2006 at 11:11 AM.
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

At least this 908 is not pointless. It proves unequivocally that they ought to RUN to Carozzeria Pininfarina again to get something decent...

1007 is rubbish, it's unique selling point are the sliding doors so you can get in easier, but they make the car expensive, very heavy, and because of that slow. And you hardly get in the back, so it just is rubbish.
    The 207 is ugly IMO, the front lights are just ridiculous large, the front bumper looks like a Zulu lip (no offence) and the rest of the car looks too fat (just like the new Clio). And it's too expensive
    I think Koenigsegg is Swedish for: "Oh no, my head's just exploded!"

Jeremy Clarkson

I totally agree with Mr. Kipling that Peugeot must get their act together. But strangly enough they do sell quite a lot of their cars!?
    Sadly they are not alone, anyone seen the new FIAT Croma for example??? That is just pointless!!! I think that the whole car industy must stop the madness with releasing new models every month and just slow down the pace and concentrate on the cars that they are actually planning on selling. Generally most new cars are unappealing to me because they are rushed together and seem unfinished in their respective showrooms. The Peugeot 1007 is a prime example of automotive garbage sold only due to the novelty effect of it's electric sliding doors. Put normal doors on it and it is one of the worst new cars on the street today.
    Team Fiattitude

you obviously have no idea of why concept cars are produced.

concept cars can define a brand, its goals, and its past.

concept cars exist to capture the minds of the intended audience, to experiment with new technology, designs and styles.

without concept cars we wouldnt be where we are design wise today.

quit your whinging.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

at least this car is something completely different and it shows that a 4-seater mid engined car does not have to look like the Ferrari Mondial....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information