View Poll Results: Engine you'd rather in your car.

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • M5's V10

69 60.00%
  • LS7 V8 from Corvette Z06

46 40.00%
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Corvette Z06 vs. BMW M5...engine comparo

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    M5, partially based in established biases, then again baises usually have some solid foundation. It's not like GM hasn't tried its hand at high-tech, the Northstar is evidence that GM wanted something some sophisticated than SBC 350 derivatives powering its elite cars. The SBC just wouldn't suit the quite luxury of a Cadillac. The CTS-V gets the SBC but it has a ruffian image.
    The LS6/2 is in the CTS because the bulky OHC Northstar wouldnt fit. GM themselves have said the only reason they made the Northstar was for image, so the snobs with their noses in the air, and head in their asses couldnt say "omg old tach pooshrod!"
    There's the main reason I prefer the M5 engine, it's sophisticated power. The M5 powerplant would be out of place in a pickup truck but it would be right at home mounted midships in a McLaren F1 (II). The LS7 wouldn't be that out of place in a truck and would mostly likely find its way into a Kit-car, not necessarily a bad thing, just it's not supercar material or in other words, world-class.
    Being "world class" and having a "world class image" are two different things, dont confuse them.

Quote Originally Posted by carsnut
    M5 V10. The LS7, being american, i assume will probably break down more,so im kinda biased
    Oh the irony.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    Oh the irony.
    Nope, not Irony.

Irony is the opposite of what you expect, If we were comparing a Yugo to a Toyota, then mabye it would be ironic.

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK 300ZX
    less weight...
    Can you prove this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    In 2005 the S85B50 won 4 categories of the International Engine of the Year awards
    Yes, I understand this. It is in no little way by being technically superior. But for all practical purposes, wouldn't you rather have an LS?
    M5 V10. The LS7, being american, i assume will probably break down more,so im kinda biased
    You do realize that more complicated machiens tend to break down MORE than a simple one? You do realize that LS is a proven engine, while the V10 is very very new?
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    There's the main reason I prefer the M5 engine, it's sophisticated power. The M5 powerplant would be out of place in a pickup truck but it would be right at home mounted midships in a McLaren F1.
    You can't see the engine work, so the sophistication will only be noticed on your repair bill. It's the thought or the "image" of a special engine that makes you desire the M5's engine over the LS7. Being two sportscar engines, I see no reason why I would want the poorer performing, heavier, more expensive, harder to modify M5 V10 over the LS7....other than prestige. I prefer proven output and reliability over less efficient but higher tech.

The LS7 makes much more sense if overall engine performance is desired.

Less moving parts, the "old" proven tech in the LS7, and a "race build" background help me believe the LS7 will be more reliable.

I can sense hatred in this forum. I like it. I can see The_Canuck chose the correct engine to win (I assume he chose the M5).

I'll take the V8, the power is available lower in the RPM's than the V10's.

I liked the LS7 engine, unsophisticated, raw, Johnny Bravo (That's what i call most American cars - Strong and brainless); one word - SEXY.

But i voted for the M5, why? BMW engineers can easily close their eyes, tie their hands and produce something 50% lighter, 150%more efficient, 50% more grunt than the LS7, they did not, because their engine had to be put into a WORLD car, not an AMERICAN car. Hence all the complications involved, all the gadgets, all the prospective failures, and all the fanboys. Imagine producing a V10 500hp engine that at the same time had to evade fingerpointings from GreenPeace....

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy
    I can sense hatred in this forum. I like it. I can see The_Canuck chose the correct engine to win (I assume he chose the M5).
    I think it's more impressive, sure the LS7 may be better, but that doesn't make it a more imressive piece of technology. The LS7 is a simple, horespower producing machine...which is great, but not impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck
    I think it's more impressive, sure the LS7 may be better, but that doesn't make it a more imressive piece of technology. The LS7 is a simple, horespower producing machine...which is great, but not impressive.
    I don't see where "impressive" technoloy fits in with performance in this case.

PS, If I never post again it's because my head exploded trying to comprehend the logic in choosing a motor because it's a "impressive piece of technology".
    Last edited by johnnynumfiv; 11-30-2006 at 09:44 PM.

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    It mystifies me how dead set some people are to hate anything american made, no matter if it's better. They just gotta find some excuse to not like it.

Hell, if someone offered me an M3 or a CorvetteC06, I'd choose the M3. It's just a beautiful beautiful car, but I'm not going to say that the M3 performs better, and I'm not going to say the engine is better because of some excuse like 'it's more impressive, it's more complicated' etc.

S85b50 Ftw!!!
    2011 Honda Civic Si

ATHEIST and damn proud of it.

Is there anyone who feels that the M5's engine is a better performance engine than the LS7?

Or better yet, if the two engines were set in two identical vehicles, does anyone believe that the M5's engine would produce a better performing car? Does anyone believe the M5's engine has any performance advantage over the LS7?

Where's the 1.8T option?
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    The LS6/2 is in the CTS because the bulky OHC Northstar wouldnt fit. GM themselves have said the only reason they made the Northstar was for image, so the snobs with their noses in the air, and head in their asses couldnt say "omg old tach pooshrod!"
    The fact is that top brass at GM decided this. The question becomes, how fast to move forward? Should you just stick with tried and true technology and ignore the whole automotive scene. When Bentley tried this, they ended up having their 6.8 Liter OHV V8 from the "pliestoscene" era by BMW motivators from the new owner, BMW.

Being "world class" and having a "world class image" are two different things, dont confuse them.
    Sometimes a simpler design is fundamentally better. But "image" isn't a bad word. It's the consensus.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Thread Information