Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nissan to join V8 Supercar

Would be an interesting addition to the current 'manufacturers'. Is Lexus still after it as well?

chrysler may enter too with a 300c or something, rumour has it.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

It's the same as FIA allowing Hyundai to plant a V8 in the Genisis Coupe and race it in GT3.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    It's the same as FIA allowing Hyundai to plant a V8 in the Genisis Coupe and race it in GT3.
    Yeah, but at least the GT3 Genesis (not a bad idea) is production-based while V8 Supercars don't share much with the stock Holden Commodore/Ford Falcons they represent.

In fact, as acfsambo points out, they're moving towards an increasingly standardized car of the future format.

Australian V8 Supercar of the future released | Touring cars | Racecar Engineering
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    All that matters is it's a 4-door, right?
    Not even. The race cars aren't.
    Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    I honestly don't know whats the rule for V8s....do they use the production body-in-white as base or is everything fabricated?
    Fabricated :P I think the body is just a fiberglass look-alike with two doors.

It's sad when you compare today to what stock car racing used to be.
    Last edited by TVR IS KING; 02-09-2012 at 09:57 PM.
    All about the t-tops

Quote Originally Posted by TVR IS KING View Post

At least it's entertaining!

Look at NASCAR, it's a snooze fest.

Except for the occasional road course, it's really damn boring. I remember how much I liked the road course racing in Mexico a couple years back.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    At least it's entertaining!

Look at NASCAR, it's a snooze fest.

Except for the occasional road course, it's really damn boring. I remember how much I liked the road course racing in Mexico a couple years back.
    I'm still a huge advocate for Sprint Cup to go to Laguna Seca, that'd be quite a show to see everyone try to navigate the corkscrew. I am really happy that the Nationwide series keeps tryin somethin new and went to Road America last year.

They went to Road America for 3 years now IIRC.....usually one of the best race(of any series) in the summer...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

It was fun to see the Nationwide cars in Montreal in person last year.

sad fact is that the older rules were incurring massive costs, and the racing itself was mismatched.. some cars getting 2 minutes ahead in a bloody sprint race! and seeing the same car win over and over.

i think put basically, the old rules are for car enthusiasts, the new rules are for racing enthusiasts..
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Here is a FAQ from the V8 website.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by TVR IS KING View Post

Theyre still 4 door, steel construction. AFAIK the only composites in the body are the bumpers, front guards and rear wings. Keeping all the race car doors functional, as well as the lights, bonnet and boot has been a major sticking point in framing future regulations.

IMO the CotF regs are a step forward. Since 2003 theyve been trying to run like a silhouette formula, except whilst still maintaining production style shells. 2007 the Commodores took a step closer to being a proper silhouette and ran basically a 90% scale car, then 2008 the Falcons followed. Ive heard with the centrally mounted fuel tank as well they want to look into a functional diffuser, which will probably be offset by a smaller rear wing. That might appeal to certain groups who are turned off by the large wings, but i could care less.

I think an interesting thing for Nissan and others like Chrysler will be how they take on factory parts support. Ford and Holden, whilst no longer building full race shells, still support the teams with their custom bodywork.
    I am the Stig

That's really amazing!!!

Thread Information