Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Formula One Season Official Thread

Quote Originally Posted by fisetdavid26 View Post
    They are not?
    I don't get Speed but my buddy does and I haven't heard him have any problem with the coverage so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
    Weather forecast for this weekend's Malaysian Grand Prix - Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia Forecast : Weather Underground

Scattered thunderstorms all throughout the weekend and an 80% chance of precipitation. If only 7 cars can manage to finish in the dry, what chance is there in thunderstorms?!

Seriously though, I have to wonder whether something like this could actually put the race in jeopardy. Conditions like Fuji last year would have been virtually undriveable if it weren't for the traction control. I'm not sure it would be responsible to let them out driving in such torrential rain. And when it rains in Malaysia, it REALLY rains! Could be some tough calls for the race director to make this weekend if this forecast turns out to be correct.
    I find rain makes F1 very exciting.

A canceled race would suck. What is the minimum distance/time that needs to happen for the race to be official?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    A canceled race would suck. What is the minimum distance/time that needs to happen for the race to be official?
    I don't really know to be honest. If a race is red-flagged and it is impossible to resume because of the conditions then the results are taken from how they crossed the line 2 laps before the red flags are brought out.

In any race points are only available if the car has completed a minimum 90% race distance, hence why Bourdais and Kimi both scored points yesterday despite not taking the chequered flag. Presumably if the race only lasts 10 laps then only those who made it to lap 9 are eligible for points, for example.

I'm not sure that the rules stipulate that a certain number of laps have to be run before a result can be declared. Not sure what would happen if the race is red-flagged after 1 lap. Maybe allocate points according to qualifying positions.

Anyway, let's hope it doesn't come to that and that we get a good race.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

I added the standings to the first post.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I think the race has to go 75% the original distance to be classed as a championship round.
    I am the Stig

F1's worst kept secret has just been announced autosport.com - F1 News: Toro Rosso team put up for sale

Red Bull obviously dont plan on giving the team the required investment into 2010 where they, along with Super Aguri, will be required to compete with their own chassis.
    I am the Stig

I don't think Red Bull could own two teams.
    It would be near impossible to convince other signatories of the concorde agreements that they weren't sharing details and thus one of them deemed to be a "customer car"
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

They do though, its currently only 50% with the other share being Gerhard Bergers, but they originally held all of it from Paul Stoddard. The definition for a constructor only stretches to having ownership of the IP rights, which is where STR and Super Aguri have been slipping through the cracks. Theres also nothing stopping a 3rd party organisation unrelated to F1 supplying them with the same parts.
    I am the Stig

Speculation about a plan to sell Toro Rosso emerged in Melbourne last weekend when Russian businessman Roustam Tariko was a notable guest of Berger. Tariko was linked with a bid by Eddie Irvine several years ago to buy an F1 team.
    Roustam Tariko owns a bank called 'Russkiy Standart' (Russian Standard) and produces vodka also called Russkiy Standart.

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    They do though,
    Sorry, I meant under the new regs.
    Theres also nothing stopping a 3rd party organisation unrelated to F1 supplying them with the same parts.
    Under the new regs -- which is why STR is being considered to sell -- a 3rd party cannot supply chassis. It has to be the "team".
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by faksta View Post
    Roustam Tariko owns a bank called 'Russkiy Standart' (Russian Standard) and produces vodka also called Russkiy Standart.
    I find something amusing about a bank and a vodka sharing the same name.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I find something amusing about a bank and a vodka sharing the same name.
    Yup, a bit Vodka was first, and the bank was founded as a part of 'Russkiy Standart' group, AFAIK.

I've heard the idea of reverse grids tossed around, recently by Patrick Head, and I think this would make F1 much more interesting to watch. It may not be the most sporting method but I think there is a good chance that the overtaking and excitement would be much higher.

Ferrari have begun the process of replacing Massa for the 2009 season. He may not even last the entire 18 races this season.

Quote Originally Posted by ringle View Post
    Ferrari have begun the process of replacing Massa for the 2009 season. He may not even last the entire 18 races this season.
    Yes. If you believe what the tabloid press are spouting.

Ferrari have publicly given their backing to Massa.

Quote Originally Posted by planetf1.com
    Ferrari have given Felipe Massa a vote of confidence despite reports suggesting his days at the Scuderia are numbered.

Rumours about Massa's future began in the wake of the Australian GP when a mistake at the first corner put him into a spin and right down at the back of the pack. He later retired with an engine failure.

One week later and the story wasn't an better.

Starting from pole position, Massa was outdone by his team-mate Kimi Raikkonen in the first round of pit stops. Raikkonen then demonstrated his quicker pace, pulling away from Massa, before the Brazilian lost control of the rear of his car, beaching it in the gravel.

But despite this and growing rumours regarding Massa's future, team boss Stefano Domenicali is keeping faith with the 26-year-old.

"It's true that it's two no scores that are important in both the Drivers' and the Constructors' Championships," said Domenicali.

"But on the other hand we must not over-dramatize: the points table is close after two grands prix. I'm convinced that from Felipe's and our point of view, a response won't go amiss in Bahrain."

Domenicali also downplayed suggestions that Massa had cracked under the pressure being levelled on him by Raikkonen.

"I don't want to talk about this matter because Felipe did an extraordinary qualifying lap in Malaysia," the team boss said.

"Having seen on what lap he pitted compared to the others, you can work out that his lap was really unique.

"So Felipe has all the qualities and the capabilities to do well. The Championship is long and the team are united, so I see no worries from this aspect."
    Reports have claimed that Vettel is being looked at as a possible Ferrari driver in the future, but he is tied down to a water tight contract for at least the rest of the season. The other driver putting himself in the frame is Fernando Alonso, but he too is contracted to at least the end of the season. Plus, I doubt whether Ferrari will be too willing to have Alonso onboard given the problems he caused McLaren when he had a teammate on a par with him. If he was partnered with Raikkonen, how long before he started throwing hissy fits and rocking the boat? Going by some of the reports in the media this week he's already started to show discontent at Renault after 3 months.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Raikkonen would perhaps be the only top line team mate who Alonso wouldnt have a problem with. He'd just let him bitch and moan and just get on with his own business.
    I am the Stig

Thread Information