Thread: F1 Racism Again

F1 Racism Again

What was Bernie thinking?! In response to racist material posted on a Spanish website and reported racial abuse that Hamilton took in Brazil last weekend Bernie said:
    "[It was] probably beginning as a joke rather than anything abusive," Ecclestone said Thursday in a radio interview, pointing to poor sportsmanship rather than racism by Spanish and Brazilian fans. "I don't see why people should have been [insulted by it]. These things are people expressing themselves."
    He's basically condoning racism!! It has no place in this or any other sport! In a week where I was feeling good about race relations in the world (In the course of three days we had a black F1 champion and a black US President elected) but not I just feel bad again
    Ugh.
    Article: ESPN - Lewis Hamilton to Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone: Racism in series is no joke
    Last edited by ScionDriver; 11-06-2008 at 10:48 PM.

"He's basically condeming racism!" - Wait, don't you mean defending?

But I agree, Racism = No.

You know I always thought that other races (everyone that's not Caucasian) were always making a bigger deal over racism than what it really was . It just seemed as if they wanted attention (in certain cases I still believe this). I didn't grow up in an area where racism was an issue so all the commotion on the television and radio seemed over the top.

I became more aware of the issue when my sister moved to North Carolina for law school and she would tell me about all the racism that was going on over there toward blacks. It was sickening, the things she would describe to me, that people could be so awful over skin color; a real eye opener.

It's too bad that people will never accept Lewis because he is black, just like Tiger and Michael. It’s really sad actually.

I think with the Spanish and Brazilian fans, they're doing it because he beat Alonso and Massa more than because he's black. That and the fact that Alonso pretty openly dislikes Hambo, so that rubs off to his supporters.

Also ScionDriver, I think the word you were looking for is 'condoning'.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    I think with the Spanish and Brazilian fans, they're doing it because he beat Alonso and Massa more than because he's black.
    True, however, I have read that in Spain spectators were making tons of racial slander toward Lewis.

Spain has been bad for racism for a while, but I wouldn't have thought Brazil.

I wasn't aware of any racism towards Hamilton from the Brazilian fans. Sure they wanted him to lose, and a lot of them got pi$$ed off when he won, but I don't think for one minute that it had anything to do with the colour of his skin.

The problems in Spain were a very different and very more worrying thing altogether. I am confident though that the racism was only from a very small minority of idiots in the Spanish crowd, and hopefully their sort won't darken the doors of F1 again.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
    I wasn't aware of any racism towards Hamilton from the Brazilian fans. Sure they wanted him to lose, and a lot of them got pi$$ed off when he won, but I don't think for one minute that it had anything to do with the colour of his skin.

The problems in Spain were a very different and very more worrying thing altogether. I am confident though that the racism was only from a very small minority of idiots in the Spanish crowd, and hopefully their sort won't darken the doors of F1 again.
    Well, it might happen at test days again since anyone is allowed to come, but I don't think we'll see any

They're just jealous.

People booed Hamilton like the booed Prost or anyone else who was a direct rival to any brazilian fighting for the title. It has nothing to do with racism here. Some people were upset at the black cat. Black cats mean bad luck and have no racial significance at all.

Were there any other incidents here?
    Would it be possible, to play forever?
    The conclusion reached was that a player is inevitably doomed to lose.

And I must be one of the very few brazilians to have cheered for Hamilton all the way. I'm glad he won.
    Would it be possible, to play forever?
    The conclusion reached was that a player is inevitably doomed to lose.

I didn't hear about any racism in Brazil
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by Rossell View Post
    "He's basically condeming racism!" - Wait, don't you mean defending?

But I agree, Racism = No.
    Shoot! My bad, I wrote this in a hurry and did not proof it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    Spain has been bad for racism for a while, but I wouldn't have thought Brazil.
    Stereotyping ftw...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

The excuse that F1 and the British use about racism is all BS
    Like in every sport when your home team goes and plays away from home fans don't like it, big deal.
    What people is piss off is all the BS mclaren, F1, the news talks about this boy named Hamilton and what he says than he is better than Shumacher and Senna, if he keeps his mouth closed and shows how good is on the track that's another story, with all the technology on his side, and money, and f1 on his side he barely made the championship this year and the only way he made it was because they fix it under the table with Toyota.
    This has been the year of mediocrity on F1.

Ferrari: engines problems, bad desisions, mistakes on pit stops, Kimi drinking too much and Massa is afraid of water.

Mclaren: making the mistake of only thinking about Hamilton and the second pilot getting the bad part always, Hamilton great in one race, terrible in another ones and making stupid mistakes.

BMW: Cubicsa could be on the top if BMW makes something that runs.

Renault: Piquet new driver, learning and a very terrible car for three quarters of the season. Alonso and Renault got together the last six races and made more points than Massa, Kimi and Hamilton, if he had a competitive car Massa, Kimi and Hamilton will asked for autographs.

In the world of F1 if you are not in a top team doesn't matter how good you are, you don't make it, and remember the midget of Bernie Eclestone is the owner of the circus, and what better for him, a black young boy (Hamilton) being on the news and win a championship. Is everything business, just like when Tiger Woods decent person and great golf player begin winning on golf all the money and sponsors that went to the game of golf.

Lets see next year if Kimi stops drinking, Massa learns how to swim, Hamilton and Mclaren to race without complaining and with the mouth shut and Renault makes a fast car, then we can see good races.

My2cents
    What's this for?

Thread Information