View Poll Results: Late 80s supercars: Which one is king?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fezza F40

43 63.24%
  • Porker 959

11 16.18%
  • Lambo Countach

12 17.65%
  • Vette ZR1

2 2.94%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Late 80s supercar shootout

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    That's like saying a Howitzer isn't powerful just because it needs to be towed around.

It's still a massively advanced car, even for a 911.
    I'm not denying that, and probably for its time it was an imense achievement. But I want a supercar to be exciting not to be a technological showcase.

By the way the ZR-1 first made 385bhp then it got up to 405bhp.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

What makes a car 'King' of late 1980s supercars is a bit of an ambiguous question (verdict dependant on your individual priorities, eg)

Seeing as other posters are nominating various fancy not-listed competitors ... so why not this as my personal 'underdog' favourite?

The Aussie supercar

"The Giocattolo (Italian for ''toy'') was Australia's bravest attempt at a supercar ... and its most memorable failure.
    In 1986, car enthusiast Paul Halstead ploughed millions earned from computers into his obsession, hiring ex-Formula One engineer Barry Lock to design a special car using the Alfa Romeo Sprint body.

The front-drive Alfa was reworked to take a Holden Group A V8, mounted amidship and driving the rear wheels. Some body panels were Kevlar [plus rear floor & 2 bulkheads in carbon fibre].

Called Giocattolo Group B, the unusual car wasn't priced as stratospherically as the European supercars of the era.

It had astonishing acceleration for its day, covering 400 metres from a standing start in 12.9 seconds. Top speed was an electronically limited 250 kmh.

Halstead and Lock managed to produce 15 of the well-appointed coupes before going to the wall. Customers wanted something a little more stunning than a remodelled Alfa for their $92,000." [elevated price of final editions - still less than base 911]
    From a quick search:

Also quoted @ 0-200 km/h in 11.1 which appears to be quicker than either ZR1 Corvette or even the fastest Countach variant

220 kw and a very torquey 500 nm from the well proven heavy-duty Holden V8 in mild 'emissionised' tune (miserable 8.5 compression!)

In naturally-aspirated form this engine could in those days be easily - and cheaply - improved to reliably output over 400 hp while still retaining full 'daily driver' usage. In 'sprint' tune with stock albeit race-prepared internals it could rev to 9,000 rpm

One famous street-driven example (pics #1, 2 ,3 below) was twin-turbo'd to produce about 1,000 rwhp. At the time it was far & away Australia's fastest street-registered vehicle

Would doubtless prove to be at least as durable & trouble-free, and probably far more so (not to mention practical, or cheap to service) than any of those other high-strung and/or high-complexity nominations. These cars were also designed to have sufficient ground clearance for typical Australian dirt-road use which led to them being considered by the Queensland Highway Patrol (pic #6 below) and were personally endorsed by this bloke - recognise him?)

When converted to US Dollars, its AU$ price tag amounted to approx one tenth of the then-current USD list price of a Countach!

Is the only car I am aware of that included a flask of (Bundaberg) Rum in the factory toolkit! (as the manual advises 'for when all else fails')

youtube of standard model
    15 second youtube of the twin-turbo car

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nota; 08-28-2008 at 12:59 PM.

they may have got this idea from Alfa (in this case Autodelta) themselves..
    Here is a Sud Sprint with the V6 before the rear axle...done in 1982
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Audi Ur Quattro
    Lancia Delta Integrale
    Lancia TE 037
    Alfa Romeo GTV V6
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolstadt View Post
    Audi Ur Quattro
    Lancia Delta Integrale
    Lancia TE 037
    Alfa Romeo GTV V6
    What a great collection of 1980s cars, but what do they have to do with this topic?
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    they may have got this idea from Alfa (in this case Autodelta) themselves..
    Here is a Sud Sprint with the V6 before the rear axle...done in 1982
    What's the car to the right?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    What's the car to the right?
    A mid-engined Junior Zagato.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

The Porch for me. The F40 is a bit too racecar-ish, the Countach ruined itself through the years, and the Vette is not supercarish enough. The 959 was a Veyron of its time. Ish.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    are you implying that the 959 looks good with mudflaps????
    yes i am, much better than the other three
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

the two people that voted for the corvette probably hasn't seen a map of the world before
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

Quote Originally Posted by blingbling View Post
    the two people that voted for the corvette probably hasn't seen a map of the world before
    I was one of them and did it because I'm a douche.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    I was one of them and did it because I'm a douche.
    Explains a lot...
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

I voted for Countach
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    Explains a lot...
    Banned.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

I guess there is 2 or 3 supercars in the late 80's that went it to production in the 90's such as the Jaguar XJ220 and XJR-15 and the Cizeta Moroder V16T

but my favourite supercar from late 80's is definately the modified 911 from Ruf, the CTR YellowBird

Thread Information