View Poll Results: What do you transport your Skis/Snowboards inside of?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Car

2 33.33%
  • Van/Minivan

0 0%
  • Truck

0 0%
  • SUV

1 16.67%
  • NO WAY, I use a Ski/Snowboard Luggage Rack

3 50.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a hand with this before winter!!

Need a hand with this before winter!!

I have been looking for an automatic car (an auto kit is more relaxing after a day on the slopes...trust me) or suv, and preferably not a truck, that is either AWD or 4WD with suitable luggage space to carry skis (inside the car not out) and snowboards, holds 4 people comfortably with shoulder/buffer-space and legroom as well.

I can't seem to find ANYTHING that is suitable for 5.5 feet in length as a boot (trunk for some). All I intend to do is place the gear in the back and not worry about it.

So all I am looking for is Make/Model/Year.

Some people are going to mention the Ford Flex. I have no problem with that except it doesn't accommodate the length. I thought I could take out the third row of seats easily. But it involves more work than I intend to put into a vacation related weekend. But even if you do, the gear still does not fit.

Also, is there a vehicle (besides a van) that you can place skis or a snowboard under the seats? I know there has to be some other vehicles that you all must know of besides a minivan.

I am also going to post a random poll for fun because it's been such a long time since I've been here.

Can't wait to see what everyone says...and btw no skis over the seats or between them...that's going for an easy answer lol.

The poll.

What if you don't ski?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

improvise lol

Estate.....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Estate.....
    I was thinking that but wouldn't clearance be an issue...and which estate would suit my specific needs of those dimensions?

The XJ and Volvo are both prime examples of spaciousness but that comes with the loss of the second row seating, whereas the Subaru and B5/variants offer the power before spaciousness.

Skoda Superb Combi.

Or the Merc E-Class.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Pre-2000 VW Synchro Van, search the Samba.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

I really can't think of any disadvantage to using a luggage rack. Do you really think buying a car for use for just 1/4 of the year is worth it? You should look into a plus sized sedan (Audi A6 maybe?) and invest in a rack. You can at least use it year round and not feel the urge to shoot yourself every time you fillerup.
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

I should have stated crossovers instead of the word "van". But an old retro van would be an interesting buy. I am not saying I'm sold on the idea because if it's winter it has to be at least a 2003+ in my book.

E-Series Mercs are not a bad idea, but not as a winter vehicle. Getting into an accident with one of those would be like losing a credit card in a third world country.

Skoda isn't reliable I hear...am i wrong? I've never driven nor owned one.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum9987 View Post
    I really can't think of any disadvantage to using a luggage rack. Do you really think buying a car for use for just 1/4 of the year is worth it? You should look into a plus sized sedan (Audi A6 maybe?) and invest in a rack. You can at least use it year round and not feel the urge to shoot yourself every time you fillerup.
    Good point on the rack...but this purchase would be for the main reason of the whole trek. For instance, I want to buy a car where I can put everything inside and go. I don't want to have to accessorize and all that.

I usually go skiing/snowboarding every year with 3 others, so 4 total. The vehicles we would normally travel with would be sedans with absolutely no room.

So since the idea of renting the equipment is out of the question, I figure why not upgrade and make this year a memorable one.

Quote Originally Posted by .M. View Post
    I was thinking that but wouldn't clearance be an issue...and which estate would suit my specific needs of those dimensions?

The XJ and Volvo are both prime examples of spaciousness but that comes with the loss of the second row seating, whereas the Subaru and B5/variants offer the power before spaciousness.
    My C5 offers space for at least two pair of skies through the rear seat opening, it takes away the middle seat, but the two other rear seat passengers will only miss their armrest.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Well, depending on the set up, luggage racks can be set up in 10 minutes tops. And its very easy in the case of a sedan where you don't have to lift to much at all to get it on top of the car.
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    My C5 offers space for at least two pair of skies through the rear seat opening, it takes away the middle seat, but the two other rear seat passengers will only miss their armrest.
    I think I am looking for something like that...something with a faux armrest as opposed to a 60/40 split. Something even with the seats having a space underneath too so the gear can fit there as well.

By the way, when you said C5 I first thought of the Corvette...then I seen your avatar lol

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum9987 View Post
    Well, depending on the set up, luggage racks can be set up in 10 minutes tops. And its very easy in the case of a sedan where you don't have to lift to much at all to get it on top of the car.
    To me luggage racks are a hassle and a worry. I looked at Ski and Snowboard travel boxes/cases and the whole idea just makes me say "Why?".

There must be a vehicle out there that you can just throw everything inside and have comfort and style with no hassle. I don't want to come off as sounding like a pompous ass but fiddling with a wrench with winter gear the night before in a cold garage just doesn't do it for me lol.

Anything from Subaru?

Thread Information