Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2006 Hungarian F1 Grand Prix

And now Schumacher's out! Quite an eventful race.

So Button, de la Rosa and Heidfeld on podium. I wonder if anyone had a bet on them...
    Last edited by twinspark; 08-06-2006 at 06:57 AM.

Oh yes.

Button victory!
    www.crash.net/motoring/roadcars/news/home/

What a race. I'm happy to see De la Rosa 2nd. And happy to see MS retire after using such unsporting techniques...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

That was a true classic.
    www.crash.net/motoring/roadcars/news/home/

yaheey kubica 7th, meaning two points in his debut

that boy is talented, no doubt about it

crazy race it was, one of very few when i didn't fell asleep
    12 cylinders or walk!

great sensation on the track but I didn't enjoy when Michael fell out
    FERRARI RULEZZZ

Well in what is traditionally the least interesting race of the whole season we had by far the most incident packed, controversial and exciting weekend of the season. In fact probably the most incident packed weekedn for several years. The race in general reminded me of Spa 1998 when torrential rain saw many of the leaders crash out in spectacular fashion and it was a Brit who managed to keep it on the island and claim the maiden victory for his team. That year it was Damon Hill with Jordan, this year it was Jenson Button claiming the first victory both for himself and his Honda team.

All the prerace form suggested it would be a straight battle between Kimi and Massa for the victory, but in the end it was nothing like that. From the start both title contenders Schumacher and Alonso made blistering starts and began to scythe their way through the field. By lap 3 they were both firmly in contention for a race victory against all the odds. Up front Kimi was performing well but his race was ended by an unfortunate misunderstanding whilst overlapping Liuzzi. The other prerace favourite Massa after blowing his chance for pole yesterday managed to put together one of the poorest individual performances I've seen from a front running driver in many years. He spun several times under little pressure, and even when he did keep it in a straight line he was deathly slow compared to his teammate. At a time when people are trying to stake a claim for that second Ferrari seat for 2007 that awful performance couldn't have come at a worse time.

So what of the title contenders? Well Alonso had excellent consistent pace through the middle first and middle stints on his Michelins. He was all set up for a tooth and nail battle for a vital 10 points with Button when he had a hugely unfortunate drive-shaft failure on exiting the pits for the final time. It was advantage Schumacher at that point with the German suddenly finding pace on his worn intermediate tyres. But as the track began to come to the dry tyre runners he found himself under increasing pressure from first De La Rosa and then Heidfeld.

I have to say the driving he then produced to try and defend his position was fairly pathetic. He clearly lacked grip and it seemed that he was roughly 4 seconds a lap slower than the dry tyre runners. With around ten laps to go there was no way he could've defended his position for that long. He ended up cutting the chicane and had to let De la Rosa past. He appeared to yield to let the Spaniard through but then changed his mind and shut the door on him into turn 6. It was an appaling piece of driving, surely as unsporting and dangerous a piece of driving as that which Alonso produced on Friday. De la Rosa did eventually squeeze past and then it was Heidfeld's turn to get past Schumi. There was no point in defending his position as at that point he had little to gain and everything to lose. He should just have backed off and settled for 4th place, especially as he would probably have recieved a post race 10 second penalty for his move on De La Rosa anyway. The guy doesn't seem to know when to back off though and he ended up making contact with the BMW and causing terminal damage to his Ferrari. He could've played it safe and closed the gap significantly on Alonso in the WDC with some decent points, but instead ended up missing an open-goal through his own over-aggression. Foolish to say the least.

That leaves the championship race completely unaltered. The two protagonists will have to recommence battle after the summer break in Turkey with everything still to play for. Alonso will feel disappointed not to have won the race for sure, but will be thankful for being let off the hook by Schumacher's naivety.

But up front Jenson was oblivious to all the chamionship implications and was way out front, running his own race and doing it superbly well. The tactics worked out superbly for him when he took an unusual short third stint banking on the fact that the storm couds would pass. And he certainly had a bit of luck with Kimi and Alonso falling off the track, but Lord knows he deserves it after the rotten luck he's had all through his career. He probably would've been in a position to fight for the victory with Alonso and Kimi on pure pace alone though, but as it was he was left free to cruise home to a 30 second winning margin. He was probably just about the only driver who drove a completely faultless race, he came through from way back in the grid after his engine penalty, his tactics worked brilliantly, and he was hugely quick when he needed to be. All in all it was a thoroughly deserved victory for Englishman, ending the longest ever run in Grand Prix history without a British man on the top step of the podium. Will it be enough to finally silence the doubters though? And will it be the opening of the floodgates to see him develop into a true title contender in the future?
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

I think this was the 1st event of Wacky Races 2006.

Congrats to the Britons BTW...
    Zag when they Zig

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    What a race. I'm happy to see De la Rosa 2nd. And happy to see MS retire after using such unsporting techniques...
    such as?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    such as?
    Such as going over the curbs twice... I don't know if the second one could be avoided, but the hole lap, he was just to slow and "fighting" for a place he could keep. And he defenitly got advantage the first time.

I only saw the last 23 laps and it was quite amazing. Good race for Honda, 1st and 4th place!

What I don't get is why Ferrari did not pull in MS for dry tyres after Heidfeld pitted. He would have had a secure third place. Bad mistakes from Ferrari and Schumacher throughout the race cost them dearly.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

de la rosa is superb to watch. very entertaining. well done jenson. its about time. Made us brits proud

Quote Originally Posted by CAS
    Such as going over the curbs twice... I don't know if the second one could be avoided, but the hole lap, he was just to slow and "fighting" for a place he could keep. And he defenitly got advantage the first time.

I only saw the last 23 laps and it was quite amazing. Good race for Honda, 1st and 4th place!
    it is not forbidden to go over the curbs, in this case it cost him dearly as finally his front suspension broke
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    it is not forbidden to go over the curbs, in this case it cost him dearly as finally his front suspension broke
    Crashing with Fisichella as well in the first part of the race after Fisichella had already passed him. And as Jack has said, the attemps to keep De la Rosa and Heidfeld at bay were pathetic. The broken suspension was well deserved if you ask me.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    Crashing with Fisichella as well in the first part of the race after Fisichella had already passed him. And as Jack has said, the attemps to keep De la Rosa and Heidfeld at bay were pathetic. The broken suspension was well deserved if you ask me.
    he did not touch with Fisi. And using the the opportunities of the track to keep somebody behind you is not forbidden either. Just ask David Coulhard and Enrique Bernoldi....

Thread Information