Thread: Need photos of 917/30 Cam2 or Otis Chandle's 917/30

Need photos of 917/30 Cam2 or Otis Chandle's 917/30

I'm trying to find a few photos of the unique twin intercoolers on the 1975 Mark Donohue 917/30 Cam2 speed record car, or the 917/30 Otis Chandler owned between 1976 and 1983 or so (it was the same car...917/30-003). A couple of us crazy model car guys are wanting to correct the Exoto 1/18 scale diecast model (they basically just repainted the Sunoco car into the red & white Cam2 car). Just for our modeling purposes, not for any publishing purposes or manufacturer's benefit.

Thanks.

doug
    Last edited by 917/30Fan; 10-18-2009 at 01:07 PM.

Well, since first posting my request for help here, I've got several helpful people who have shared their personal photos, and a few photos from various magazines and books. I also have had the pleasure of being given access to some great shots of the car taken at Riverside back in 1980 while Mr. Chandler owned it. I'm still holding out hope for one other significant person to help me finally get the detail photos of the front of the intercoolers I need. I'm keeping my fingers crossed those will still become available.

Here is photo of the model we are starting from. It is the 1/18 scale Exoto "prototype" 917/30, which as you can see, never existed like it was released. Fortunately, the "prototype" is identical to the red & white Cam2 version of their models, just without the aluminum wheel-dishes and with a different paint job (it has a tonneau cover, but I forgot to put it on for the this photo). A lot of things, like the mirrors and front chin spoiler will have to go for a proper Cam2 car.

Here are the parts that I've removed so far(I just got the model on Monday), that will either be discarded, modified, or replaced with more accurate parts. The most import part of this project is to put the twin intercoolers on the model which Exoto totally left-off. This requires chopping off the rear chassis frame, and fabricating a new rear chassis portion. Also, the intercoolers and their related hardware, must be scratch-built. A lot of body changes will need to be done, so repainting it to the red & white Cam2 colors isn't a big deal.

Here is quick photo of the first mod I did yesterday (just to prove this isn't just a "pipe-dream" project). The model had a modern suede covered steering wheel, which was wrong for the 1973 race cars. The model is beautifully made, and replicates the modern "made-from-spare-parts-car" (probably 917/30-004) perfectly, but many things aren't right for the car in 1975 (or 1973). I still have to make the proper "metal"cover-plate to match the period photo.

I know most of you who take a peak at this posting will have no interest in a model car project (check out our project on Scale18 - 1/18 Scale Diecast Cars - Home if you do, we will periodically post updates on the progress of it), but just wanted to give everyone any update on what a few photo contributions can accomplish (and shamelessly ask for more help if you can). I'll be posting up all of our working photos on ImageShack soon in case you want to see the GREAT help we've been given (except for any photos "loaned" to us but were requested to not be made public).

Cheers!

doug

Thread Information