• Joe Calzaghe

0 0%
  • Other (please name and discuss)

3 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Boxer?

Best Boxer?

Who do you think is the best boxer, pound for pound, of the last 20 years when they were at their prime?

This is a very tough call. I basically had it narrowed down to Roy Jones Jr, Joe Calzaghe, Manny Pacquiao, and Floyd Mayweather.

I would eliminate Joe Calzaghe because he didn't win belts in a ton of weight divisions like these other guys did, but he did beat Roy Jones jr and Bernard Hopkins (and pretty much everyone else). But at the same time he beat the best, and he did unify the super middleweight title and was dominant at light heavyweight.

Its tough to decide with Manny too. He's incredible no doubt, but he has lost fights, arguably when he should be in his prime physically, although it seems like he is actually in his prime right now so he's sort of an open book.

Obviously floyd mayweather has to be in the best pound for pound considerations...whether or not he is still at the top of his game, he hasn't been beaten. However, a lot of his fights were close fights that could have gone either way but he did absolutely demolish ricky hatton (who was supposed to be good at the time) and he demolished Marquez. But we all know Mayweather's reputation for avoiding the tough fights at the tough time. but his track record also speaks for itself. Also, I think he would beat Manny Pacquiao if they fought right now.

That leaves Roy Jones Jr. He won a title in several weight divisions ranging from middleweight to heavyweight. At his best I believe he was the most dominant fighter of the last 20 years, when he was winning. but he has lost a decent number of fights compared to some of the other guys mentioned. But he absolutely demolished a lot of really good fighters in several weight divisions.

Its a tough question and I probably begrudgingly pull the lever for Floyd Mayweather jr. It was a very close call between Joe Calzaghe and floyd Mayweather. I ended up going with Floyd because he has been dominant in more weight divisions than Calzaghe. But it was a very close call for me.
    Last edited by roosterjuicer; 02-24-2010 at 01:37 PM.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Porsche's six, probably.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

haha i was thinking about that after typing my title.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Porsche's six, probably.
    Air or water cooled?
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    Air or water cooled?
    This shouldn't even be asked...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

512 tr
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

33 sc 12 t

Subaru's Flat 6.

And the Ferrari's boxer isn't really a boxer, it's a flat V-12.

I can't explain it, but that's how everyone always explains it to me.

And you could also a dog breed as well.

And to stay on topic, no, I don't watch boxing.
    Last edited by NSXType-R; 02-24-2010 at 03:56 PM.

Lancia's flat four too.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    And the Ferrari's boxer isn't really a boxer, it's a flat V-12.

I can't explain it, but that's how everyone always explains it to me.
    It was in the technical questions thread a while ago, I think it's to do with the fact that opposing pistons aren't moving opposite to each other a la a normal boxer. Or something.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Yeah, it'sthe timing of the pistons relative to the one opposite. I can never remember which is which but I guess the only reason a non boxer flat 12 works is because it's to I6's which are inherently balanced anyways.

I'm more into MMA than boxing but I'd say either Mayweather Jr or Pacquiao. I don't know if they'll ever fight to really settly things, but this recent attempt at a matchup pretty well demonstrated one reason why I prefer MMA; boxers these days are turning into either divas or thugs (what they used to accuse MMA fighters of.) The whole thing was such a debacle that it killed the last of my interest in boxing until the posibility of Anderson Silva entering a boxing match comes back up.
    Last edited by wwgkd; 02-24-2010 at 06:57 PM. Reason: sp
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Silva would get destroyed in a boxing match just like a boxer would get destroyed in the octagon with him. he's not a great puncher or a stand up fighter, but he's an amazing wrestler and submission fighter. Chuck liddell would prolly do alright boxing though.

i prefer boxing, but thats what i grew up watching with the old man and my grandpa (we are cuban-american). I did like the older ufc and i do like some of the stuff they do in japan but with all the rules in ufc now, if i want to watch a 6 minute wrestling match, ill go to the local highschool.

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    Silva would get destroyed in a boxing match just like a boxer would get destroyed in the octagon with him. he's not a great puncher or a stand up fighter, but he's an amazing wrestler and submission fighter. Chuck liddell would prolly do alright boxing though.

i prefer boxing, but thats what i grew up watching with the old man and my grandpa (we are cuban-american). I did like the older ufc and i do like some of the stuff they do in japan but with all the rules in ufc now, if i want to watch a 6 minute wrestling match, ill go to the local highschool.
    Actually Anderson (not some of the other Silvas) has shown to be pretty good at boxing. In sparring sessions he regularly faces former boxing champions and apparently does pretty well. They were even setting up a match between him and Roy Jones Jr before Dana White stepped in and reminded him that he's not allowed to fight in other organizations while under contract with the UFC.

I understand not liking the groundgame, thats a pretty common complaint here in the US. But even though for a while the UFC was bing dominated by grapplers it's starting to swing back the other direction again. In fact all of the current champions in their respective weight classes prefer to stand and swing.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Subaru and their EJ22T from the 22B... Such noise!

Now that I'm being serious. Kimbo slice!

I'm ****ing with you. I dont know any boxers and frankly all sports where men get sweaty and beat on eachother turns me on. So I have to leave all embarrassed.. So I stopped going to fights.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

I've been fighting out of Chicago for 6 years and even way past his prime, Evander Holyfield was specimen, he was a freak in his day and the only 4 time heavy weight champ.

Thread Information