Go to Ultimatecarpage.com

Go Back   Ultimatecarpage.com forums > General forums > Miscellaneous


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 09-30-2007, 12:46 PM
my porsche's Avatar
my porsche my porsche is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,391
Texas
Send a message via AIM to my porsche
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalcraft View Post
Wow, apple comes up with a product people actually want
Yeah, cuz not many people bought those...what were they called again? iPods?
__________________
He came dancing across the water
With his galleons and guns
Looking for the new world
In that palace in the sun
On the shore lay Montezuma
With his cocoa leaves and pearls
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-30-2007, 01:41 PM
Cotterik's Avatar
Cotterik Cotterik is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,352
Posts: 30,245
Send a message via MSN to Cotterik
just one reason why I've never bought into this franchise
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-30-2007, 08:32 PM
digitalcraft's Avatar
digitalcraft digitalcraft is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,873
Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
iPods are about as complex as a stick of butter. Doesn't count
__________________
I dont if I'll make home tonight
But I know I can swim
under the Tahitian moon
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-01-2007, 09:20 AM
Smithman's Avatar
Smithman Smithman is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 201
Virginia
I am going to wait until this situation gets sorted out before I buy an iphone (if I even end up getting one.) Also, the price will drop once it's been out on the market longer.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-01-2007, 10:21 AM
werty's Avatar
werty werty is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,939
Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalcraft View Post
iPods are about as complex as a stick of butter. Doesn't count
WHAT?! doesnt count? You're out of your mind. They've sold over 100 million ipods...surely they make a product people love and buy.
__________________
UCP's NO. 1 Source for Enzo & 69 Camaro pic's
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-01-2007, 11:04 AM
drakkie's Avatar
drakkie drakkie is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 7,827
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by werty View Post
WHAT?! doesnt count? You're out of your mind. They've sold over 100 million ipods...surely they make a product people love and buy.
Long live marketing hypes. Competitors make similar or better products and still people buy it. It has been used by various teachers here as a perfect example into scamming people by creating marketing hype's One of the reasons I'd never buy one.

Sony mastered it with the Playstations 1&2 and Mini too for example.. Be careful of your wallet and think before you buy, unless you buy something from me.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-01-2007, 03:11 PM
Quiggs's Avatar
Quiggs Quiggs is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 7,992
Northampton, Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Quiggs Send a message via MSN to Quiggs
The all-knowing has spoken.
__________________
[O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
dads is too long so it wont fit
so i took hers out
and put mine in
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-01-2007, 06:11 PM
IWantAnAudiRS6's Avatar
IWantAnAudiRS6 IWantAnAudiRS6 is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,072
Yeah, bow before he runs you over in his Alto.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-01-2007, 06:32 PM
werty's Avatar
werty werty is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,939
Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
Long live marketing hypes. Competitors make similar or better products and still people buy it. It has been used by various teachers here as a perfect example into scamming people by creating marketing hype's One of the reasons I'd never buy one.

Sony mastered it with the Playstations 1&2 and Mini too for example.. Be careful of your wallet and think before you buy, unless you buy something from me.
So are you agreeing with me or what? I think your saying I'm wrong...which I don't understand why. All I'm saying is that the ipod is a product that sells very well, sale's numbers dont lie. Nobody else has the wheel, nobody else has the full itunes compatibility. They are argueably the best looks mp3 players out there. And now they are the first to have usefull touch screen, direct itunes downloads, huge amounts of memory, safari web browser. etc etc.

Some of that is marketing..sure, but facts are facts. Mac makes products that sell very well, and the ipod is just another one of them.

EDIT: I would argue nobody has been scammed into buying an ipod ever. The halo 3 zune would be a better example of that.
__________________
UCP's NO. 1 Source for Enzo & 69 Camaro pic's

Last edited by werty; 10-01-2007 at 06:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-01-2007, 07:45 PM
my porsche's Avatar
my porsche my porsche is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,391
Texas
Send a message via AIM to my porsche
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6 View Post
Yeah, bow before he runs you over in his Alto.
I'm pretty sure I'd do more damage to the alto than it would to me...
__________________
He came dancing across the water
With his galleons and guns
Looking for the new world
In that palace in the sun
On the shore lay Montezuma
With his cocoa leaves and pearls
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-02-2007, 02:13 AM
IWantAnAudiRS6's Avatar
IWantAnAudiRS6 IWantAnAudiRS6 is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by werty View Post
So are you agreeing with me or what? I think your saying I'm wrong...which I don't understand why. All I'm saying is that the ipod is a product that sells very well, sale's numbers dont lie. Nobody else has the wheel, nobody else has the full itunes compatibility. They are argueably the best looks mp3 players out there. And now they are the first to have usefull touch screen, direct itunes downloads, huge amounts of memory, safari web browser. etc etc.

Some of that is marketing..sure, but facts are facts. Mac makes products that sell very well, and the ipod is just another one of them.

EDIT: I would argue nobody has been scammed into buying an ipod ever. The halo 3 zune would be a better example of that.
I agree with you totally. Having used a Mac for several years now, and having pretty much the iPod as my only port of call when buying an mp3 player, I don't feel forced or pressured into buying it- I'd rather have it over an iRiver.

Drakkie, what do you suggest the Mac users do, buy a $350 mp3 player that doesn't work with our machines, or spend $350 on a 160Gb player that looks great, works great and works with Macs?

You obviously haven't thought your argument through very well- there's a surprise! Remember that there are more types of computer users in this world than you give credit for. Mac users are people too. (Sort of).

iPods have always been class-leading on aesthetic quality. My 3rd-gen iPod from 2003 is working apart from a duff battery, so I bought one (including postage and refitting tools) for $16. So you can't argue that their longevity sucks, either.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Oh, and find me an mp3 player with WiFi that costs $300, please. Apple make it, and I'm pretty tempted. If you can find me a suitable alternative that works with Mac then I'll be impressed.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-02-2007, 06:19 AM
2ndclasscitizen's Avatar
2ndclasscitizen 2ndclasscitizen is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 8,832
Sydney, Down Under
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6 View Post
I agree with you totally. Having used a Mac for several years now, and having pretty much the iPod as my only port of call when buying an mp3 player, I don't feel forced or pressured into buying it- I'd rather have it over an iRiver.

Drakkie, what do you suggest the Mac users do, buy a $350 mp3 player that doesn't work with our machines, or spend $350 on a 160Gb player that looks great, works great and works with Macs?
Apart from gigabeats, which mp3 players don't work on Macs? I know for a fact that iRivers do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6 View Post
iPods have always been class-leading on aesthetic quality.
Exactly. A lot of people only buy them because they look cool.
__________________
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
Hunter Thompson
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-02-2007, 09:10 AM
IWantAnAudiRS6's Avatar
IWantAnAudiRS6 IWantAnAudiRS6 is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
Apart from gigabeats, which mp3 players don't work on Macs? I know for a fact that iRivers do.
Maybe I should clarify. Players that are integrated with the iTunes software.

Quote:
Exactly. A lot of people only buy them because they look cool.
They feel built to last to me, not just looking 'cool'. Quality is important to me, and I'd rather have a top-quality product from Apple than a crap product from someone else... at the same price.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-02-2007, 03:50 PM
kingofthering's Avatar
kingofthering kingofthering is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,356
95616
Send a message via AIM to kingofthering
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6 View Post
They feel built to last to me, not just looking 'cool'. Quality is important to me, and I'd rather have a top-quality product from Apple than a crap product from someone else... at the same price.
Yep, I totally agree. Except for the fact that my 1st nano broke in less than 48hrs, this new nano they sent me has lasted a year even though it's been dropped during heavy-duty headbashing, crushed, and abused in other ways.
__________________
I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-02-2007, 05:37 PM
IWantAnAudiRS6's Avatar
IWantAnAudiRS6 IWantAnAudiRS6 is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,072
The first Nano was a terrible design, but anyone who expects a perfect design from a first release needs their head checking.

They're built tough.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:18 AM.

 

1998 - 2019 Ultimatecarpage.com