Go to Ultimatecarpage.com

Go Back   Ultimatecarpage.com forums > Automotive forums > Racing forums


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-11-2008, 06:12 PM
-What-'s Avatar
-What- -What- is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 372
Racing as a Sport? Please justify this for me.

I'm not trying to ruffle feathers, I'm trying to understand. I'm trying to understand why race car drivers consider themselves to be ATHLETES. Athletes? Serious?

Answer this...is John Force a professional athlete? Jeff Gordon? Schumacher?


Why is racing considered a "sport" and their drivers "athletes" when 99% of the race depends on the CAR.

Are jockeys professional athletes? Are pilots athletes?



I like racing. I like it...but I want to understand the logic.


What about the dude sitting in the driver seat of the rally cars that tells the driver his upcoming route...is he an athlete? Has there been a race car driver that achieved an injury from over-stressing while performing his "sport"?


I am not trying to offend anyone.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-11-2008, 06:13 PM
RacingManiac's Avatar
RacingManiac RacingManiac is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 5,457
I believe equestrian is actually an olympic sport.....so is Bobsledding, tobogganing, baseball....etc


I think some racing is more qualified as being a sports than others, but in the grand scheme of things they are ALL recognized as athlete. If you have ever driven a car in competition, you'll see its actually quite physical, requires a great degree of stamina and hand-eye coordination, which is much like any other traditional sports. In higher level of racing(I guess other than drag), drivers are required to keep in top physical condition in order to perform at their best, they need tremandous upper body strength to deal with the g-forces, they also need insane amount of neck muscle development to hold their head upright to deal with upward to 5 G(in F1's case) of their head+helmet weight in longitudinal and lateral direction, while being able to operate their vehicle.....

Put it another way, I remember a few years back Tiger Woods was asked who he thinks is a better athlete: Himself, Federer, or Michael Schumacher, each were dominating their respective sports at the time, Tiger Woods said Schumacher....
__________________
University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
www.fsae.utoronto.ca
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-11-2008, 06:13 PM
-What-'s Avatar
-What- -What- is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 372
Niko Fx said:

Quote:
So you could actually drive a Ferrari F1 and do just as good as M. Schumacher since the car does 99% of the work?

Don't they lose like 5lbs per race? I bet it's more than what a Baseball player loses on any game.
As far as your question Niko...yes. Give me enough practice and I'd be able to compete with Schumacher and possibly beat him. If he suffers an injury...er...if his car fails, I win. In racing, I've notice that the "athletes" fail when their CARS fail.

But seriously, yes, I believe I could be a competitive race car driver with enough practice. Of course you'll disagree, but think about this...
Driving an F1 car is a "priviledge"...everyone doesn't get the oppurtunity. Therefore, it is more likely that the best in the world isn't competing compared to most other "sports". I could possibly demolish Schumacher, but we'd never know. I can't go in the streets an play a game of "pick-up F1". I do believe that I am a better conditioned athlete than Schumacher could ever dream of being though, so I may have an edge.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-11-2008, 06:15 PM
Niko_Fx's Avatar
Niko_Fx Niko_Fx is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 5,802
Deerfield Beach, Florida
Send a message via MSN to Niko_Fx
Quote:
Originally Posted by -What- View Post
Why is racing considered a "sport" and their drivers "athletes" when 99% of the race depends on the CAR.
So you could actually drive a Ferrari F1 and do just as good as M. Schumacher since the car does 99% of the work?

Don't they lose like 5lbs per race? I bet it's more than what a Baseball player loses on any game.

Drivers (specially F1) need stay in shape throughout their whole season and career for that matter. Cars are designed for them, and every ounce of weight means a heavier, slower car.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-11-2008, 06:16 PM
clutch-monkey's Avatar
clutch-monkey clutch-monkey is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 16,254
brisbane - sub-tropical land of mangoes
Send a message via MSN to clutch-monkey
i think it could be classed as such simply due to the sheer effort (mental?) of keeping focused on the car. the track, the conditions and keeping at it's top pace for lap after lap?
__________________
Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-11-2008, 06:17 PM
Niko_Fx's Avatar
Niko_Fx Niko_Fx is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 5,802
Deerfield Beach, Florida
Send a message via MSN to Niko_Fx
Quote:
Originally Posted by -What- View Post
But seriously, yes, I believe I could be a competitive race car driver with enough practice. Of course you'll disagree, but think about this...
Driving an F1 car is a "priviledge"...everyone doesn't get the oppurtunity. Therefore, it is more likely that the best in the world isn't competing compared to most other "sports". I could possibly demolish Schumacher, but we'd never know. I can't go in the streets an play a game of "pick-up F1". I do believe that I am a better conditioned athlete than Schumacher could ever dream of being though, so I may have an edge.
If you were to beat Schumacher, wouldn't you want to take a bit more credit than a mere 1%?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-11-2008, 06:18 PM
Quiggs's Avatar
Quiggs Quiggs is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 7,992
Northampton, Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Quiggs Send a message via MSN to Quiggs
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
I believe equestrian is actually an olympic sport.....so is Bobsledding, tobogganing, baseball....etc


I think some racing is more qualified as being a sports than others, but in the grand scheme of things they are ALL recognized as athlete. If you have ever driven a car in competition, you'll see its actually quite physical, requires a great degree of stamina and hand-eye coordination, which is much like any other traditional sports. In higher level of racing(I guess other than drag), drivers are required to keep in top physical condition in order to perform at their best, they need tremandous upper body strength to deal with the g-forces, they also need insane amount of neck muscle development to hold their head upright to deal with upward to 5 G(in F1's case) of their head+helmet weight in longitudinal and lateral direction, while being able to operate their vehicle.....

Put it another way, I remember a few years back Tiger Woods was asked who he thinks is a better athlete: Himself, Federer, or Michael Schumacher, each were dominating their respective sports at the time, Tiger Woods said Schumacher....
Drag racers have to work up into the top classes because of the forces their bodies are subject to. It's possible to black out launching a top fuel car.
__________________
[O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
dads is too long so it wont fit
so i took hers out
and put mine in
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-11-2008, 06:18 PM
-What-'s Avatar
-What- -What- is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 372
So are jockeys athletes? What about the sport of remote control car racing...are the owners athletes?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-11-2008, 06:18 PM
Niko_Fx's Avatar
Niko_Fx Niko_Fx is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 5,802
Deerfield Beach, Florida
Send a message via MSN to Niko_Fx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiggs View Post
Drag racers have to work up into the top classes because of the forces their bodies are subject to. It's possible to black out launching a top fuel car.
That's true, happened to me a few times in the Civic...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-11-2008, 06:19 PM
Quiggs's Avatar
Quiggs Quiggs is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 7,992
Northampton, Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Quiggs Send a message via MSN to Quiggs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko_Fx View Post
That's true, happened to me a few times in the Civic...
Vtak kicked in, huh? Nice.
__________________
[O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
dads is too long so it wont fit
so i took hers out
and put mine in
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-11-2008, 06:20 PM
coolieman1220's Avatar
coolieman1220 coolieman1220 is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,057
New York City
i read somewhere that a race car driver has to be in as good shape as an athlete due to the extreme conditions they go to. the G forces they have to fight off and their heart rate gets as high as a track sta. it makes sense they would. racing is not easy and you need nerves of steel!
__________________
Gone:
09 Ducati Monster 696
09 Audi Q5 3.2
03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
10 BMW 335d
12 Audi Q5 2.0t
10 VW Jetta TDI
11 Ducati Monster 796
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-11-2008, 06:21 PM
-What-'s Avatar
-What- -What- is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko_Fx View Post
If you were to beat Schumacher, wouldn't you want to take a bit more credit than a mere 1%?
My 1% is strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiggs View Post
Drag racers have to work up into the top classes because of the forces their bodies are subject to. It's possible to black out launching a top fuel car.
This has nothing to do with athletics. This depends on the particular person. Some people are better at handling g-forces than others. If you think John Force's fat-ass is a top-conditioned athlete...no.


It is difficult for me to consider race car drivers athletes when the majority of the work is performed by the vehicle.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-11-2008, 06:21 PM
Fuerte100's Avatar
Fuerte100 Fuerte100 is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 122
CT
I believe being in an extremely noisy, hot cabin while pulling 5 g forces and still managing to concentrate for extended periods of time is an athletic trait. The stuff looks easy, but I bet you could hardly pull Shumy's times in a videogame.
__________________
"Don't have phone sex, you could get hearing AIDS"
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-11-2008, 06:22 PM
Niko_Fx's Avatar
Niko_Fx Niko_Fx is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 5,802
Deerfield Beach, Florida
Send a message via MSN to Niko_Fx
Quote:
Originally Posted by -What- View Post
So are jockeys athletes? What about the sport of remote control car racing...are the owners athletes?
Do you know what kind of training Jockeys (since you keep mentioning them) undergo at all?? It's not as easy as racing the horse and keeping a low weight, trust me.

A good buddy of mine is an Equestrian, he trains every single day with his horse and by himself to stay fit to ride.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-11-2008, 06:22 PM
RacingManiac's Avatar
RacingManiac RacingManiac is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 5,457
Can you beat Tiger Woods in Golf if you played often enough? Fair question, because thats as valid as claiming in being able to beat Schumacher with enough practice. Like any other competitive sports, there are PLENTY of people trying to make it in professional rank. THOUSANDS of people every year races in various form of junior rank racing, not all of them make the grade. While these days many seats in top rank racing are so called paid seats, much of these people still paid their due in climbing the ladder to beat out others to get to that point where some sponsors are willing to throw money at them to send them to an F1 seat.

To complain about equipment, if an Olympic cyclist's bike failed in his heat, does he get a 2nd chance? Racing is complicated by the fact that it is not only an individual pursuit, it is also a pursuit of the team of people who supports that ONE man, thats why they recognized the achievement as a team as well.....its as if a cyclist have to make his own bike as well as racing it......
__________________
University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
www.fsae.utoronto.ca
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Auto Motor und Sport Videos - Are you interested ? Gt1Street Multimedia 18 11-05-2012 09:10 PM
Ford Explorer (4th gen - U251) 2005-2010 Matt Matt's Hi-Res Hide-Out 12 11-26-2005 04:52 PM
Lotus Exige Sport 240R shockwaveracing Matt's Hi-Res Hide-Out 23 06-02-2005 04:11 PM
Ford Mustang Racing Prototype Matt Matt's Hi-Res Hide-Out 1 09-29-2004 04:31 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:09 AM.

 

1998 - 2019 Ultimatecarpage.com