Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1990 Camry

1990 Camry

Hi guys,
    I have a 1990 Camry with the locks/door key replaced recently. About one month later, the battery keeps on dying. I have replaced the battery serveral times, but it seems that it is being drained somehow.
    Anyone have an insight as to why this is happening?

Also, there seems to be a problem with the radiatory. It keeps on needing to be re-filled. Like every few days I would add in a cup or a litter of the mixture of coolant. Is the fuild leaking or going into the engine? (My dad says it is entering the engine, but I dont see how it can go into the engine, and if it did, it would drain out a lot fast and make the engine weak, and the exhgast gas polluted?)

I know nothing about cars.. T_T

Thanks guys
    Last edited by butterfly13; 09-06-2005 at 03:47 PM.

its a camry there shit, what can you do

I can drive it for one thing.
    Syko - lets not tread crap shall we?
    Well, I just read a little more about the radiator thingy, and I think I know what might be the problem. My dad has been adding water to the radiator by removing the cap and adding it to the radiator itself. Shouldn't the radiator be pressurized and the cap NOT be removed? If so, how can I get the cap replaced? Also, I know now to use 50/50 coolant and water.

Quote Originally Posted by syko
    how are they shit you dumbass, have you seen their sale numbers?
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

Your alternator sounds like it isn't working as much as it should, you should get that check and you might end up having to get it replaced.

The radiator shouldn't be pressurized when it is cold, when it get hot, the fluid expands and might come out with force, that is why they warn you not to take the cap off when the engine is hot. You might have a bad head gasket or a fluid leak somewhere. Check the hoses for cracks and any signs of moisture around them.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

On a dry night, put a sheet of cardboard under it to catch drips. If it's dry, or very minimal, start it up with the cardboards still under there and let it run for a few minutes, see if you can spot and drips then. If you cannot find a leak, then it seems like the water is getting into the engine, which is bad. It'd not be running too well if that was the case. In fact, before you do this, check the oil (the dipstick) and make sure there's no water in there. If there is, don't drive it at all, you'll kill it.

when have sales meant anything about how good a car is?

btw in aus the sales aren't that flash in comparison to similar cars
    Last edited by syko; 09-07-2005 at 01:43 AM.

according to this article when you radiator goes it will be followed by a number of things failing resulting in the engine dying

That's only if you don't do anything about it.

Could be a bad earth causing the battery to drain or a crook alternator,with the coolant needing topping up check for leaks and get the cooling system pressure tested, hopefully the heads all right. In response to the Camry being shit, I'd call them boring, but they are a very reliable motor vehichle usally definately not shit
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by syko
    according to this article when you radiator goes it will be followed by a number of things failing resulting in the engine dying
    This happens to any cars of that vintage , not just camry's
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

by shit i meant boring

your meant to be psychic

Have a battery shop do a voltage check on your alternator, it should take them 5 seconds and cost nothing.
    If that's the cause then at best you need to have the brushes in it "freshened up", no problem.
    I'm thinking if it was something to do with the door locks, they might have started an electrical fire by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Syko

why do people take things so seriously?

or take offence to peoples opinion

or knowtice stupidity?
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

Thread Information