Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Toyota Supra (A90) 2019-

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Yeah we are wagging jaws about the Supra, but hopefully it's a peach to drive. That's what matters.

It's easy to be angry in an armchair.
    I think we spoke too soon...

NEWS: Next-gen Subaru BRZ and Toyota 86 canceled? | Japanese Nostalgic Car

The funny thing is I still don't know how to drive a stick and yet I yearn for one. Never got around to it.

I know a lot of "helmsmiths" as Sniff would say sing the new NSX's praises, but to me it's simply the aesthetics that let it down. It looks like an Acura and that is not a complement.

I think the Supra's better-placed to capitalize on the well-minted former tuner b0iz. It looks better, and I think some mods might improve it to be more like the concept, and I think it has more tuneability. Even if people don't modify them, I think that the ability to will increase the Supra's cachet. The new NSX is all-but-dead, whereas the Supra, despite it's prolonged gestation, has it's whole life ahead of it. So I guess, as Kitdy says, we shall see.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

For people who want a full explanation on why Toyota didn't develop the Supra in house.

The real reason why Toyota didnt build its own Supra from the ground up | Japanese Nostalgic Car

TLDR version-
    Crash and certification regulations are changing, Toyota doesn't make a straight 6 anymore and it'd take too long to develop. Plus the chief engineer is retiring.

It's an interesting read.

It's a two seater coupé, with rear wheel drive and a straight six. What's not to like?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

This is the internet: everything!

It's definitely growing on me, the only thing I would complain about is the price (which I think is a fair price; I just can't afford one) and the lack of a manual. I suppose the aftermarket could fix the latter point.

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    I think that's the thing.

Probably if one owned one, one would be happy.

But it's more fun to talk trash on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    It's a two seater coupé, with rear wheel drive and a straight six. What's not to like?
    Right? I'm sad that the coupes are all dead now.

Remember when we had the Eclipse, FTO, Prelude, Silvia, Starion, Accord, Integra, Celica, and Sentra coupes?

You know, something affordable and tossable? They're all gone.

Try and find a coupe in the Honda lineup. You either go to the Civic or go all the way up to a NSX. That's a price spread of $130,000. Ridiculous. At least Toyota's trying to do something interesting, god forbid.

It's definitely growing on me, the only thing I would complain about is the price (which I think is a fair price; I just can't afford one) and the lack of a manual. I suppose the aftermarket could fix the latter point.
    Adjusted for inflation, the current pricing of the Supra is more than fair. And, unlike the Nissan GT-R which very quickly went from somewhat attainable to Porsche 911 Turbo pricing very quickly, the Supra is still relatively affordable. Honda could learn a thing or two about that.

You could arguably say that I now drive the hatchback version of it. Or breadvan coupe version if you are feeling pedantic. Which of course I am.

It is... absurd. And hilarious. It is the fastest car I have ever... driven probably (owned, for sure). I haven't taken it yet for a proper country drive and it has the makings of one of the great 'uns.

It has three bad things: the ride is stupidly hard and bouncy on anything other than perfectly smooth roads, it tends to follow the road's tracks and... I can't recall the third thing but there was definitely another one.

But that engine. Oh my goodness. And it is nice to be pushed from the back and not pulled from the front.

So if the Supra resembles it in any way, it's a win in my book. Yes, yes I know it is not a Toyota and all that stuff but very soon no interesting Toyota will be Toyotas... apparently:

Are Future Lexus And Toyota Models Going To Use A Mazda Platform? | Carscoops
    Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Right? I'm sad that the coupes are all dead now.

Remember when we had the Eclipse, FTO, Prelude, Silvia, Starion, Accord, Integra, Celica, and Sentra coupes?

You know, something affordable and tossable? They're all gone.

Try and find a coupe in the Honda lineup. You either go to the Civic or go all the way up to a NSX. That's a price spread of $130,000. Ridiculous. At least Toyota's trying to do something interesting, god forbid.
    I guess you could have an MX-5 of a Toyobaru if you are so inclined. I already have had the former and was interested in the latter for my next car but ended up settling down for something more sensible (in a way... ).
    Visca Catalunya!

You could arguably say that I now drive the hatchback version of it. Or breadvan coupe version if you are feeling pedantic. Which of course I am.

It is... absurd. And hilarious. It is the fastest car I have ever... driven probably (owned, for sure). I haven't taken it yet for a proper country drive and it has the makings of one of the great 'uns.

It has three bad things: the ride is stupidly hard and bouncy on anything other than perfectly smooth roads, it tends to follow the road's tracks and... I can't recall the third thing but there was definitely another one.

But that engine. Oh my goodness. And it is nice to be pushed from the back and not pulled from the front.

So if the Supra resembles it in any way, it's a win in my book. Yes, yes I know it is not a Toyota and all that stuff but very soon no interesting Toyota will be Toyotas... apparently:

Are Future Lexus And Toyota Models Going To Use A Mazda Platform? | Carscoops

I guess you could have an MX-5 of a Toyobaru if you are so inclined. I already have had the former and was interested in the latter for my next car but ended up settling down for something more sensible (in a way... ).
    Ferrer, is this the Alfa Romeo Giulia you're referring to? I think you got rid of the Miata right?

I'm embarrassed to say, the vast majority of what I drive are boring cars. I most often drive the Subaru Forester, used to drive the Honda Accord a lot and the 95 Acura TL occasionally. Other than that, I've driven maybe a 2nd gen TL and CR-V as well. Nothing remotely powerful or RWD.

The only reason why I (and probably many other enthusiasts) call BS on Toyota is that they made the RC-F and the LC coupes, both of which have bespoke Toyota build V8s and a RWD platform. Clearly they had the forethought to plan out and build these vehicles, it's not much of a stretch that if they cared, clearly could have made an I6 RWD coupe as well. You don't plan and build a 2 large luxury coupes overnight either, so this thought about cost reduction doesn't quite add up.

You got a Clownshoe? I've read that the suspension is softer than the Z's and I find it to be better looking. Suspension tuning has never been the German's strongpoint to me; maybe they're just tuned for the glass-smooth, perfectly-maintained roads of Germany, but they always seem overdamped outside that environment.

On another note, I saw a fourth-gen recently that was stock, save a fart can. I was struck by how tidy the design was and how petite the car seemed. Without the silly wing, exhaust from a 15-year-old's Golf, and possibly the dated stock wheels, it's actually an attractive car. I remember never being a big fan of its looks; the rear haunches made it look really porky. I am obviously still partial to the aesthetics of my beloved second-gen, but the Supra has grown on me. I guess modern cars have gained such visual weigh that the Supra looks svelte in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Ferrer, is this the Alfa Romeo Giulia you're referring to? I think you got rid of the Miata right?

I'm embarrassed to say, the vast majority of what I drive are boring cars. I most often drive the Subaru Forester, used to drive the Honda Accord a lot and the 95 Acura TL occasionally. Other than that, I've driven maybe a 2nd gen TL and CR-V as well. Nothing remotely powerful or RWD.

The only reason why I (and probably many other enthusiasts) call BS on Toyota is that they made the RC-F and the LC coupes, both of which have bespoke Toyota build V8s and a RWD platform. Clearly they had the forethought to plan out and build these vehicles, it's not much of a stretch that if they cared, clearly could have made an I6 RWD coupe as well. You don't plan and build a 2 large luxury coupes overnight either, so this thought about cost reduction doesn't quite add up.
    I actually recently sold the Alfa and got a BMW M140i 3 door.

By the way they say the next IS/RC will switch to front wheel drive, and the GS is gone so that leaves Toyota with little to no alternatives for the Supra...

Who knows, maybe the Mk VI Supra will be a Mazda.
    You got a Clownshoe? I've read that the suspension is softer than the Z's and I find it to be better looking. Suspension tuning has never been the German's strongpoint to me; maybe they're just tuned for the glass-smooth, perfectly-maintained roads of Germany, but they always seem overdamped outside that environment.
    It is sutpidly stiff even for a car with sporting intentions. On the upside, though, at high speeds it feels planted, calm and serene. I guess that's what you get when you develop your cars for the autobahnen...
    On another note, I saw a fourth-gen recently that was stock, save a fart can. I was struck by how tidy the design was and how petite the car seemed. Without the silly wing, exhaust from a 15-year-old's Golf, and possibly the dated stock wheels, it's actually an attractive car. I remember never being a big fan of its looks; the rear haunches made it look really porky. I am obviously still partial to the aesthetics of my beloved second-gen, but the Supra has grown on me. I guess modern cars have gained such visual weigh that the Supra looks svelte in comparison.
    The Mk IV is classic 90's design, bulbous and rounded. They weren't very popular here I guess because of the price... There are more Mk IIIs here, but not that many either.
    Visca Catalunya!

A quick search also reveals that Mk IIIs are attainable (and also unmolested) and Mk IV prices have gone completely insane.

Toyota supra de segunda mano y ocasión | Coches.net
    Visca Catalunya!

Unfortunately, they're quite heavy; they have twenty-first century weight with 1990s power. The heaviest are knocking on the door of two tons and the lightest are far north of a ton and a half.

Well scooped on the Einer; it's one of the few German cars that interest me. I think it's even good looking, which is something I can't have said about a BMW since, perhaps, the first Z4 coupe. Well done, BMW! You've designed two good looking cars in this millenium.

We are definitely in the era of six-figure hero Supras, if you can find a good one; it's a compelling and iconic car, but really?

If Toyota did a straight-six version and Mazda a rotary of a Supra/RX-9, I would be a happy man. Mazda is one of the few marques that have managed to keep weight under control. A man can dream...

As crazy as Supra MkIV prices are, they're at least closer to Earth than air-cooled Porsche values. Now that's a whole new level of insanity.

Speaking of the new Supra, it's running 2nd in class nearly 18 hours into the 24hrs Nürburgring. One of the Mercedes-AMG threw away a podium spot in a silly crash trying to out-brake it on the GP course. Mr. Toyoda is currently in the car.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

I actually recently sold the Alfa and got a BMW M140i 3 door.

By the way they say the next IS/RC will switch to front wheel drive, and the GS is gone so that leaves Toyota with little to no alternatives for the Supra...

Who knows, maybe the Mk VI Supra will be a Mazda.
    Ah gotcha. Congrats on the purchase.

It's quite ironic how far American sedans have dropped. Cadillac and Lincoln were some of the best in the business in the 1920s and now they barely register as a blip if you don't include their SUV offerings like the Escalade and the Navigator. Meanwhile, Toyota introduced large luxury sedans in the late 80s and are likely selling better than whatever Cadillac and Lincoln has to offer.

Again, Toyota definitely has the strongest lineup of the Japanese big 3. They have something for everyone, which can't be said for Honda or Nissan. You want a large body on frame SUV or pickup? A crossover of any size? They have it all.

I always pass by a Mk IV Supra in my neighborhood in dark grey and I always gawk at it.

Unfortunately, they're quite heavy; they have twenty-first century weight with 1990s power. The heaviest are knocking on the door of two tons and the lightest are far north of a ton and a half.

We are definitely in the era of six-figure hero Supras, if you can find a good one; it's a compelling and iconic car, but really?

If Toyota did a straight-six version and Mazda a rotary of a Supra/RX-9, I would be a happy man. Mazda is one of the few marques that have managed to keep weight under control. A man can dream...
    Mazda's been all vaporware lately, they're definitely way smaller than any of the Japanese big 3 by far. Overall though, I'd rate the company healthier than Mitsubishi. I don't even know what they sell now other than the Eclipse crossover and whatever is left of their Galants.

Man, if Honda brought over the S660 and Nissan actually produced the IDX concept, I'd be a happy man. That Mazda sports prototype that was unveiled recently would have been interesting too.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    As crazy as Supra MkIV prices are, they're at least closer to Earth than air-cooled Porsche values. Now that's a whole new level of insanity.
    The Supra will become the air cooled Porsche of Japan though. Look at prices of the Hakosuka GT-R and the 2000GT, they've gone insane. Even the S20 engined 240Z goes for crazy prices now.

KIDNEY, ANYONE? Nissan Fairlady 240Z-G | Japanese Nostalgic Car

People of this generation didn't lust after pony cars like the baby boomers did, they're going after the heros they couldn't buy as a kid from Gran Turismo and Initial D. Case in point, the AE86.

Thread Information