Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Million Miles in a Saab? Get a New One from Saab - For Free

One Million Miles in a Saab? Get a New One from Saab - For Free

Quote Originally Posted by Saab Press Release
    One Million Miles in a Saab? Get a New One from Saab - For Free

Detroit, MI - December 18, 2006

Convinced of the jet-like performance and endurance of its products, Saab Automobile USA is announcing that it will offer a free new Saab to any U.S. customer who covers the distance of one million miles (or more) in a Saab that he or she originally purchased new. The new Saab will come with the 100,000 mile/5 years GM Powertrain limited warranty and 3 years/36,000 miles no-charge scheduled maintenance, standard with every model in the 2007 Saab Automobile USA portfolio.

This announcement comes after Wisconsin resident and insurance salesman Peter Gilbert recently reached the one million milestone in a 1989 Edwardian Gray Saab 900 SPG, still with the original engine and turbo, at this year's North American Saab Owners Convention in Lake George, N.Y. Saab Automobile USA General Manager Jay Spenchian was the very first to congratulate Gilbert and his 900 SPG on the occasion.

"Saabs are made for people who love to drive, as proven by the many high-mileage examples in the Saab owners' community", Spenchian said. "Having personally been with Peter Gilbert in his 900 SPG as we crossed their magical finish line together, one cannot help but being impressed by the condition of car and driver after one million miles. Our offer of a new Saab to any U.S. customer who equals this achievement, should be seen as a token of appreciation for the enduring loyalty and confidence in Saab."

Mr. Gilbert will receive a brand new, 260 hp Saab 9-5 Aero (MSRP $38,735) as a worthy replacement for his tried-and-true 900 SPG. Delivery of the new car is to be scheduled in early 2007 at the Saab Aero Academy at Road Atlanta, Georgia. Saab is the only U.S. manufacturer offering this two-day enhanced driving course - a $1,350 value - at no cost to every U.S. customer who buys a new Saab 9-3 Aero or 9-5 Aero.

"I am obviously thrilled with the idea of being presented with a new Saab 9-5 Aero", Gilbert said. "It is not just fast and fuel efficient, but also extremely safe. A reassuring thought, keeping in mind that my faithful 900 SPG and I survived many a collision with Wisconsin deer. Who knows, I might take a run at another million miles in my new 9-5!"

The offer of a free, new 2007 Saab 9-5 Aero [not to exceed an Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price of $38,735 (certain features and options are subject to availability at time of delivery) and delivery to take place at an authorized Saab USA dealer] valid from the date of this release through calendar year 2007 (offer ends Dec. 31, 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time), is available to any U.S. customer who can present verifiable proof to Saab Automobile USA that he or she is the original owner of the Saab vehicle that covered one million road miles or more, that the vehicle is in running condition, that the odometer hasn't been tampered with, and that the vehicle is currently and has always been registered in the United States. The customer is responsible for all applicable taxes, title fees, registration and destination charges.

That's some crazy stuff
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

How do they prove that the car has actually done a million miles? (besides the obvious) When a free car is up for grabs, people tend to go to great lengths.

I bet they're going to get alot of people claiming they've done a million
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

i remember one volvo p1800 from US which owner claimed that he covered like 1 500 000 miles on it
    12 cylinders or walk!

yeah I had also heard that someone had put 1 million miles on his volvo
    I also heard that Volvo made the same kind of offer (as in a free replacement to anyone who hits 1 million) I suppose it is possible to do albeit very impressive my friend thinks the guy put his car on a tread mill though

yh some volvo held the world record for a few years with something like 1.2 millio miles on it although nowadays most people don't keep cars long enough to put that sort of mileage on

There's some pretty hilarious possibilities out of that. Imagine a market where a Saab 900 with 900,000 miles is worth twice as much as one with 150,000, if not more!

Quite weird.

*Scuttles off to scan autotrader for uber high mileage Saabs*

Quote Originally Posted by VtecMini
    There's some pretty hilarious possibilities out of that. Imagine a market where a Saab 900 with 900,000 miles is worth twice as much as one with 150,000, if not more!

Quite weird.

*Scuttles off to scan autotrader for uber high mileage Saabs*
    in a Saab that he or she originally purchased new.
    Screw it

That Wisconsin guy, his car is going into a museum up there. And he gets a new car? That is pretty sweet?

WAIT A ****ING MINUTE...

If they want to prove that they have high endurance, why would they make this deal? The amount of Saabs that WON'T make it to 1M will just show how undurable it is. Also, making it sound like some ****ing contest thats hard to win also makes it sound like the Saabs don't ave the endurance to win...
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

In Octane's Mercedes 107-chassis SL buyer's guide, a Merc mechanic said those old mechanical fuel-injection V8s get "a little edgy at around a million miles."

Several Mercs have passed the million mile mark in the US over the last few years, and I don't see anybody giving them a big pat on the back.

The engine lasting a million is one thing, but the turbo housing making it that far it impressive.

Also, Volvo clubs award "Volvo High Miliage Club" grill badges. I almost bought a big battleship of a Volvo Wagon for my girlfriend's birthday a few months back with a "250,000 mile" badge, but I didn't know how well she'd take the joke, and we don't really need another ancient Euro car cluttering up our apartment.

Also worth noting is the ever-present suspicion of planned failure. My family bought a brand-spankin' new Merc M-500, for some reason. The service intervals are 15,000 miles. That's 15,000 miles on the same crankcase-full of oil. Sounds fishy to me.

I'm planning on keeping my WRX for the long haul. If it makes it to a million, I'd better be named a Japanese ambassador or something.

There's four or five disjointed and random thoughts for everybody.

FTW.
    I'm erudite ;-)

I've seen this article a while ago. I remember something about him saying the chassis is rusted or something like that. It wasn't in perfect condition, but 1 million sure is impressive.

On the other hand, how come I don't see any million mile Hondas?

Another note- are old Saabs really that reliable? Maybe this one is just a lucky shot.

Quote Originally Posted by LandQuail
    Also worth noting is the ever-present suspicion of planned failure. My family bought a brand-spankin' new Merc M-500, for some reason. The service intervals are 15,000 miles. That's 15,000 miles on the same crankcase-full of oil. Sounds fishy to me.
    Some cars are going as long as 20,000/2 years between services now, add to the the fact that most car owners don't open the bonnet between services means that if the car is burning oil (Like highish mileage Toyota VVTI and Honda VTECHs do) then seized engines galore and a dip in the quality usedcar market with only Hyundais and Kias to fill the void.

Dark times ahead
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

it's VTEC.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Milwaukee represent.
    TOYNBEE IDEA IN KUBRICK 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPITER

hmm... you have a $38000 Saab. If you drive 15000 miles a year, in five years true cost to own hits $61K. Not worth it, but hey, if you want to, go for it.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Thread Information