Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IF GM falls, What becomes of Holden?

IF GM falls, What becomes of Holden?

If GM falls tomorrow what happens to holden.
    OK can holden run on there own that is the question, And if yes what do they need, They need Chev ofcource but not just engines but also for the exports, Is it Hydrmatic that provides holden Transmissions?.
    They would maybe need to use more overseas components to cut cost. Can they make a car?
    Then i guess if GM goes under and I'm not the best at this side of things, Do they get sold off all of there subsidiary's and anything they own till they pay back most of there debts, Then What happens with Holden?.
    Look to be honest if GM was a Dog it would have been to sleep years ago cause it's just cruel to let the poor thing suffer, Right or wrong?.

Any rich Aussies out there? Can GM right now sell off Holden in the U.S on the stock exchange and here also?. Then Holden can buy Pontiac and or Buick? Holden builds large RWD cars, Pontiac coupes and Torana, Buick Mid size and LWB. Import Daewoo cars small and SUV.
    Go into partnership with Chev and have them build the Utes for Holden and themselves.
    And still Holden builds at home the large RWD sedans but designs the Utes and LWB plus Torana models and coupes.
    OK far fetched ? Or a plan.
    Or plan B. Toyota buys Holden and removes them. Then a backlash against Toyota? Could happen.
    Worse case scenario, Holden gets sold with everything of GM and shuts shop. Which could mean the last straw for Aussie built cars as a big player goes who is left to fight?.

On drugs?
    Make half sense?
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

there is no simple answer, but simply: yes
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

Is Holden a subsidiary of GM or a "partner" - is Holden listed on it's own on the Aussie stock market.

If it's a subsidiary and GM goes down then the accountants will decide what happens to get the most amount of money for the creditors ! If the land the Holden factories are on will raise more money than selling the company then the factories woudl be closed and the land sold off !!!

Of course nationalist protectionism of the company may then come to play a hand !!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Petronas and the like, other than SE Asian car manufacturers, seem most poised for a take over. If a non-automotive entity takes over the cars should remain mostly unchanged but if Toyota or the Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation take over it could change the landscape quite a bit.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    Petronas and the like, other than SE Asian car manufacturers, seem most poised for a take over. If a non-automotive entity takes over the cars should remain mostly unchanged but if Toyota or the Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation take over it could change the landscape quite a bit.
    if they get split up from daewoo and opel, they might have to find other smaller cars to sell if they can

Hydramatic are just what the tranny's are called Slick, theyre all from GM Powertrain.

I'd imagine if GM fell and no one was willing to rescue the whole company, Holden/Opel/Vauxhall/Daewoo banded together might be an interesting proposition.

Matra i think Holden are technically a subsidiary. Their story goes something along the lines of originally being contracted to locally build Chev's and Pontiac's in the 1910's, having a majority share bought by GM and finally in 1948 they developed and produced a car unique to the local market. There is still a sharehold in the company owned by the original Holden coachbuilders so they could put an interesting spin on things
    I am the Stig

The Oz government will save them!
    bring on the subsudies!!
    uʍop ǝpısdn sı ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎɯ

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden
    Any rich Aussies out there? Can GM right now sell off Holden in the U.S on the stock exchange and here also?. Then Holden can buy Pontiac and or Buick? Holden builds large RWD cars, Pontiac coupes and Torana, Buick Mid size and LWB. Import Daewoo cars small and SUV.
    Go into partnership with Chev and have them build the Utes for Holden and themselves.
    And still Holden builds at home the large RWD sedans but designs the Utes and LWB plus Torana models and coupes.
    OK far fetched ? Or a plan.
    not sure about that plan because
    a) i doubt holden have the money to buy any other makes
    and
    b) why would you even if you could ? the GM brands in the US are not making cars that people are buying. GM cars are going out of fashion, so much so that toyota are taking steps of goodwill to avoid backlash

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx
    bring on the subsudies!!

muahaha i'd love to see that happen...
    House said the perfect woman was a man...now im all confused!!

What is a mile long and hasn't had sex?
    - The line for the PS3

Yeah that sounds good Holden/Opel/Vauxhall/Daewoo. I like that.

Quote Originally Posted by thatdbeme
    not sure about that plan because
    a) i doubt holden have the money to buy any other makes
    and
    b) why would you even if you could ? the GM brands in the US are not making cars that people are buying. GM cars are going out of fashion, so much so that toyota are taking steps of goodwill to avoid backlash
    You get most U.S guys saying how they think we are so lucky to have 4 door RWD cars with 350HP. If most of them want that i think GM should look this way and do it. They also need a economy cheap family car.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx
    bring on the subsudies!!
    nah
    i disagree
    that just rewards mediocrity

Quote Originally Posted by thatdbeme
    nah
    i disagree
    that just rewards mediocrity
    Why do you think Holden is mediocrity? or did you mean GM?.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden
    Why do you think Holden is mediocrity? or did you mean GM?.
    i dont like the idea of subsidising car companies and imposing tariffs in general

One of the big problems with this is the required effort to go one minute from being part of a massive global company to being isolated, building 1 line of vehicle and low production numbers. You could literally say goodbye to Holdens typical motor show appearances, no more V8 Supercar support, no more rushed developments of a rapidly increasing niche market, that 2 years later is announced dead and Holden can afford to shrug their shoulders...
    I am the Stig

Thread Information