Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 2009 Ford Focus ST [XR5T]

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggy View Post
    There's more pictures of the rs in top gear magazine
    And on Top Gear's site too. Along with an article.

Ford Focus RS feature - starRStruck - 2008 - Features - Top Gear
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

What the hell...how does the US get stuck with a Mondeo + Citroen C4 looking Focus, and you get a nice one?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    And on Top Gear's site too. Along with an article.

Ford Focus RS feature - starRStruck - 2008 - Features - Top Gear
    FWD? Fail, fail, and fail again. If 2WD had = RWD, then it would have be an epic win.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    FWD? Fail, fail, and fail again. If 2WD had = RWD, then it would have be an epic win.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    £££Cost control. It's probably going to ape the Mk1 RS with it's trick Quaife differential. The only problem is that that kind of diff is inconsistent, being an excellent choice for track work but terrible on bumpy country lanes typical of the UK etc.

Even so, putting that much power through it will be difficult and it could lead to a very compromised car. They could try limiting the torque in lower gears, but that's hardly ideal.

What accomplished road-testers make of the finished product will also be interesting. The Vauxhall Astra VXR has been bitched about by a few for having "too much" power - personally I think it's fine for drivers that are actually capable of driving smoothly enough to deploy all that torque, and that's all part of the challenge. We'll just have to see what happens...

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    What the hell...how does the US get stuck with a Mondeo + Citroen C4 looking Focus, and you get a nice one?
    I wouldn't mind IF it looked as good as a Citroen C4 - it's almost a Chinese-quality rip-off!

The reason is that the US population lets Ford get away with doing the bare minimum. Whether that's because a lot of people haven't been inside cars from other markets, or import models, I'm unsure - but at least some companies are starting to listen as you have the GM Astra (rebadged as a Saturn) and the VW "Rabbit" amongst others. - Ford will regret their laziness if competitor cars suddenly take-off sales-wise but they're left with a recycled mash of tat.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    I wouldn't mind IF it looked as good as a Citroen C4 - it's almost a Chinese-quality rip-off!

The reason is that the US population lets Ford get away with doing the bare minimum. Whether that's because a lot of people haven't been inside cars from other markets, or import models, I'm unsure - but at least some companies are starting to listen as you have the GM Astra (rebadged as a Saturn) and the VW "Rabbit" amongst others. - Ford will regret their laziness if competitor cars suddenly take-off sales-wise but they're left with a recycled mash of tat.
    I have to disagree. It's not only Ford but the car manufacturers who choose to give Americans different (let's not say lesser for the sake of respect) cars from the ones sold here. Even the ones that are more similar are actually different (if only in details) too, the Golf/Rabbit for instance has a 2.5-litre five cylinder engine which we don't get. But also take in mind cars like the Accord or the Civic.

We could blame that on the fact they are stupid and undemanding, either the manufacturers or the costumers but I think that would be simplistic and unfair on them. I think that simply the reason is that they have needs that differ from ours.

And not only that, but their landscape and environtment are also different dictating therefore the need for different cars. As such (usually) european cars have failed in North America and likewise US cars have failed in Europe.

We are enthusiasts and we can say whatever we like, but in the end car companies make money from the bulk of sales of which we can be considered almost completely irrelevant. As a result Joe Public rules supreme. And he doesn't care about the things we do.
    Visca Catalunya!

I have to disagree. It's not only Ford but the car manufacturers who choose to give Americans different (let's not say lesser for the sake of respect) cars from the ones sold here.

Even the ones that are more similar are actually different (if only in details) too, the Golf/Rabbit for instance has a 2.5-litre five cylinder engine which we don't get. But also take in mind cars like the Accord or the Civic.

We could blame that on the fact they are stupid and undemanding, either the manufacturers or the costumers but I think that would be simplistic and unfair on them. I think that simply the reason is that they have needs that differ from ours.

And not only that, but their landscape and environtment are also different dictating therefore the need for different cars. As such (usually) european cars have failed in North America and likewise US cars have failed in Europe.
    And that's definitely the case why in the past Euro cars have failed in the US - but with todays offerings, such as the Golf/Rabbit and Passat, they are well-suited to the needs of Americans, even if model/engine combinations are changed (that happens between countries in Europe, never mind intercontinental).

I'm sorry if it didn't come-across that way, but my comment about "stupid Americans" was made in jest and only applies to few, rather than the majority. However, I'm sure many Americans would want their own version of European-market cars if they had the chance, and they need to push for it because there does still seem to be a trend of "just buying the latest Taurus", even though it probably isn't the best car for their needs.

We are enthusiasts and we can say whatever we like, but in the end car companies make money from the bulk of sales of which we can be considered almost completely irrelevant. As a result Joe Public rules supreme. And he doesn't care about the things we do.
    Aint that the damn truth...!
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

everyone needs to understand the focus ST is an all rounder not the big beastie that the planned Focus RS will be this will be gutsy and will be more of a drivers car the initial model will be FWD however to comply with the WRC regs for 2012 they have to make a 4wd version for it to compete now taking into account the current Focus RS WRC that is running at this time has great reliability 4wd and already holds the constructors title then whatever hits the road will be one hell of a car but we will have to see what the FWD car is like first before get a glimour of the big boy on the block now considering that the new FRS will be launched at this years London motor show we will have to wait for people to test pilot it but the pics of it look fantastic whether that will equate into a great drivers car we will have to wait and see

Thread Information