Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pagani Zonda Revolucion 2013

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    I know the hardware and the car is not made for show, but that's what they will do, for show. The car is detailed to the point of stupidity, and for no reason. You don't need etched logo on bolts you make yourself, AN/NAS fastner suppliers exist for a reason. F1 teams don't even do that because it serves no purpose. The whole shifter deal on something like the Huayra with 70 something parts is just excessive and frankly dumb, for something that used to essentially pressing 2 buttons. This is more akin to creating art work than actually making a car.

Comparing this to a P1, a TheFerrari, or a 918 Spyder, all of which are probably over 7 figure in cost. But where as those buys you technology or engineering, this buys you a lot of polished metal bits on something thats a bit pretty plain as far as being a "racing car" goes....
    But that's what Pagani has always been about... blurring the boundaries of art and engineering. If you just want an amazing piece of engineering, you'd buy a Koenigsegg, or the cars you mentioned. The "art" side of Pagani is why you buy a Pagani.
    www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng

Would it be more of an "art" though if I just bought a used race car for the same purpose...I think for that price you can get a used F1 car....That would be the same(or better?) engineering, less flashy, but has actual pedigree....

Pagani really irks me for some reason. I love them since I watch the debut season of the current TG back in 2002 when it raced a Lambo. But the more iterations of the more "extreme" Zonda come out the less they make sense to me...To some extent Koenigsegg is the same thing, except they might be a bit less anal retentive....which speaking of which, some bolts are way too long on that Zonda...:P
    Last edited by RacingManiac; 06-07-2013 at 11:43 AM.
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Would it be more of an "art" though if I just bought a used race car for the same purpose...I think for that price you can get a used F1 car....That would be the same(or better?) engineering, less flashy, but has actual pedigree....
    But then that would be too much art and too little engineering. Part of the beauty of Pagani, and what really makes the brand stand out among every other car manufacturer is their obsessive attention to detail, like engraved bolts, and polished carbon fibre in places that will never see the light of day.

The F1 car would also be made for whoever drove it, while the Pagani would be made specifically for you.

Also, just knowing your car is capable of amazing feats is enough to justify the price IMO, it doesn't HAVE to be taken to the track, or driven everyday.

I'd say with pretty high certainty, that whatever this is capable of, can be done a lot cheaper....Also since this is still not a road car, you are opening to comparison to actual racing car....

BTW, used F1 car would still be driveable, and would probably smoke this thing....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

I'd say with pretty high certainty, that whatever this is capable of, can be done a lot cheaper....Also since this is still not a road car, you are opening to comparison to actual racing car....

BTW, used F1 car would still be driveable, and would probably smoke this thing....
    You bring up a good point- you could build a car that would smoke a Veyron for a cheaper price.

But probably not at the same usability, beauty (questionable), etc.

But then there's the engineering behind it too.

Veyron is different, since Veyron IS a road car. This is not. This is going with the racing car design. This(and by extension the R also) is even different from other Pagani in that is not made to be a road car. And its not a racing car neither. There are no doubt this is a well made car, with probably good engineering behind it, but its made for the track but not to race. So unlike comparing it to a road car where its made for compromises of extremely high performance but still road worthy, this is just comparing it to actual track vehicles where you should not need those compromises.

Technology wise there is nothing revolutionary or inherently "difficult" about the car itself(aside from maybe the tub material). The same kind of design traces back to 80s racing cars. Except here, everything is polished and shined up with etched logo everywhere. Which really, serves no real purpose other than look nice.
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Again, brings in the idea of art vs engineering.

Thread Information