Go to Ultimatecarpage.com

Go Back   Ultimatecarpage.com forums > Automotive forums > Technical forums


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-11-2011, 02:44 PM
Big time Big time is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 134
2+1 seating (reverse McLaren F1)?

A car with 2 full size seats side by side in the front as usual
plus a smaller seat behind the 2 front seats. This seat is pretty much like the usual 2+2 bench only that is narrower so it can only accommodate 1 passenger whose legs may be placed over the transmission tunnel partially between the front seats back rests.

Got this idea as usually its more comfortable (actually less uncomfortable) to sit in the middle of the rear seat in 2+2 cars.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-11-2011, 03:02 PM
henk4's Avatar
henk4 henk4 is offline
Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 27,312
Rozenburg, Holland
can we make the car FWD to avoid the transmission tunnel?
__________________
"I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-11-2011, 03:09 PM
Matra et Alpine's Avatar
Matra et Alpine Matra et Alpine is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 27,781
nr Edinburgh, Whisky-soaked Scotland
Why woudl you want that arrangement ?
The McLaren works as the legs of the rear seat passengers find space beside the driver.
Turn it the other way round and there is NO advantage in having only one seat in the rear, so you'd be as well making it a 4 seater ( a la the 1915 morgan 4-seater ) and concentrating in putting in decent seats !!
( Cant think of ANY car I've ever sat in where the middle was better then the "seats" )
__________________
"A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 11-11-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-11-2011, 04:01 PM
NSXType-R's Avatar
NSXType-R NSXType-R is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 11,617
East Coast of the United States
Isn't the layout he's proposing just a narrower (in the rear) version of the Volvo C30?

I think some Japanese Kei car has this layout, I forget which one though.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-11-2011, 04:09 PM
Matra et Alpine's Avatar
Matra et Alpine Matra et Alpine is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 27,781
nr Edinburgh, Whisky-soaked Scotland
Why wish for narrower in the rear ? The aero benefits are there , yes, but not that significant.]

I think one of the rear/mid engine kei cars were based on a truck engine/drivetrain and it was mounted to the side of the centreline thus losing one seat.
__________________
"A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-11-2011, 07:12 PM
kingofthering's Avatar
kingofthering kingofthering is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,356
95616
Send a message via AIM to kingofthering
So like a more comfortable Toyota iQ? Or more like a reconfigured VW 1-litre car?
__________________
I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-11-2011, 09:54 PM
coolieman1220's Avatar
coolieman1220 coolieman1220 is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,057
New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
can we make the car FWD to avoid the transmission tunnel?
No...
__________________
Gone:
09 Ducati Monster 696
09 Audi Q5 3.2
03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
10 BMW 335d
12 Audi Q5 2.0t
10 VW Jetta TDI
11 Ducati Monster 796
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-11-2011, 11:14 PM
MilesR MilesR is offline
Novice
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 82
I must agree that it does seem a bit pointless, as the car would end up 2 seats + leg room wide, instead of just 2 seats wide. Its only advantage would be in a situation where width is not a problem, but length is. It would allow a 3-seat car to be almost as short as a 2-seat car. I cannot think of many situations where that would be useful, as even a Smart would have to be stretched a bit to fit that configuration. Cars that are short enough that they would require that kind of packaging to fit a rear seat, were probably not intended to have a rear seat in the first place.

There is one clear advantage over something like the Gordon Murray Design T.25, or the McLaren F1, with their 1-front, 2-rear layout, though. If you want to carry a passenger, and talk to them at the same time, 1-front and 2-rear configuration requires you to shout over your shoulder. 2-front and 1-rear would allow you to talk directly to one passenger, and put your hand on his/her leg. This makes 2 front seats a preferable option, regardless of what is in the back, as far as I am concerned.

In addition, it would not necessarily be much wider than the 2-rear layout, as you would only need to allow space for one set of legs to intrude into the front, rather than two. The Mclaren was not all that narrow a car. It might find a use for a specialist car, like a supercar, where it allows use of free space, without forcing repackaging of the chassis or drivetrain. I still cannot think of any cars, or car designs, where it would help, though.

Besides, if you had a passenger seat in the middle at the back, where would you put the engine?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-12-2011, 08:34 AM
NSXType-R's Avatar
NSXType-R NSXType-R is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 11,617
East Coast of the United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
Why wish for narrower in the rear ? The aero benefits are there , yes, but not that significant.]

I think one of the rear/mid engine kei cars were based on a truck engine/drivetrain and it was mounted to the side of the centreline thus losing one seat.
No idea. Just thinking of a car that was narrower in the rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
So like a more comfortable Toyota iQ? Or more like a reconfigured VW 1-litre car?
Does it have a 3 passenger layout as stated? That would have been my first guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesR View Post
I must agree that it does seem a bit pointless, as the car would end up 2 seats + leg room wide, instead of just 2 seats wide. Its only advantage would be in a situation where width is not a problem, but length is. It would allow a 3-seat car to be almost as short as a 2-seat car. I cannot think of many situations where that would be useful, as even a Smart would have to be stretched a bit to fit that configuration. Cars that are short enough that they would require that kind of packaging to fit a rear seat, were probably not intended to have a rear seat in the first place.

There is one clear advantage over something like the Gordon Murray Design T.25, or the McLaren F1, with their 1-front, 2-rear layout, though. If you want to carry a passenger, and talk to them at the same time, 1-front and 2-rear configuration requires you to shout over your shoulder. 2-front and 1-rear would allow you to talk directly to one passenger, and put your hand on his/her leg. This makes 2 front seats a preferable option, regardless of what is in the back, as far as I am concerned.

In addition, it would not necessarily be much wider than the 2-rear layout, as you would only need to allow space for one set of legs to intrude into the front, rather than two. The Mclaren was not all that narrow a car. It might find a use for a specialist car, like a supercar, where it allows use of free space, without forcing repackaging of the chassis or drivetrain. I still cannot think of any cars, or car designs, where it would help, though.

Besides, if you had a passenger seat in the middle at the back, where would you put the engine?
Why would you want to put your hand on your passenger's leg?

I kept thinking of this.


Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-12-2011, 09:55 PM
Big time Big time is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
can we make the car FWD to avoid the transmission tunnel?
Can we? Yes we can.
But who'd want FWD in his dream car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
Why woudl you want that arrangement ?
To improve practicality without increasing length or wheelbase as much as in a 2+2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesR View Post
and put your hand on his/her leg.
Hopefully her leg. Assuming you're a male of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesR View Post
It might find a use for a specialist car, like a supercar, where it allows use of free space, without forcing repackaging of the chassis or drivetrain. I still cannot think of any cars, or car designs, where it would help, though.

Besides, if you had a passenger seat in the middle at the back, where would you put the engine?
I think a front engine sport car like the Corvette would benefit from a 3rd seat.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-12-2011, 10:36 PM
pimento's Avatar
pimento pimento is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,536
Perth, Australia
To fit a third seat in you'd have to increase either length or width, else there's be no leg room. It's surely easier to optimise a 2 seater in an ideal length/width ratio than 3, and by the time you've managed to sort out three seats, you might as well have four - if the third seat is practical at all you'll be able to fit four in, and if it's not you'll be able to fit two pointless rear seats in. See also many of the 2+2s available today.
__________________
Life's too short to drive bad cars.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-12-2011, 11:58 PM
MilesR MilesR is offline
Novice
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 82
Quote:
Hopefully her leg. Assuming you're a male of course.
Yes, indeed I would prefer it that way, but was just making sure that the suggestion complied with all the best equal-opportunity standards.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-13-2011, 02:56 AM
Ferrer's Avatar
Ferrer Ferrer is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 33,277
Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big time View Post
Can we? Yes we can.
But who'd want FWD in his dream car?
He would.

Don't ask...
__________________
Lack of charisma can be fatal.
Visca Catalunya!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-13-2011, 07:56 AM
NSXType-R's Avatar
NSXType-R NSXType-R is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 11,617
East Coast of the United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
He would.

Don't ask...
Engineered properly there's nothing wrong with FWD.

Honest!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-13-2011, 08:07 AM
Ferrer's Avatar
Ferrer Ferrer is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 33,277
Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
Engineered properly there's nothing wrong with FWD.

Honest!
Oh, I've had plenty of fun in front drivers, but they simply do not have the poise and balance and natural action a good rear wheel drive car has.
__________________
Lack of charisma can be fatal.
Visca Catalunya!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gran Turismo 5 Sauc3 Gaming 1020 05-19-2014 03:16 PM
Ferrari Enzo + Mclaren F1 GTR Road Test - Fifth Gear Suka Multimedia 13 10-16-2011 02:30 AM
Will the McLaren F1 ever be dethroned? (Read the first $@#*%@ post!) :) Egg Nog General Automotive 111 01-22-2005 10:08 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:28 PM.

 

1998 - 2019 Ultimatecarpage.com