Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coca-Cola... Mexico

Coca-Cola... Mexico

I was at a local Ralphs supermarket yesterday and noticed a small display of Mexican Coca-Cola bottles. On sale for $1.00 each.

I was wondering how it would be different from American Coca-Cola then I realized that it probably was sweetened with sugar rather than with high fructose corn syrup (HFCS).

Sure enough, "sugar" was listed in the ingredients and not a trace of HFCS.

I know that all Coke was sweetened with sugar years ago and that is tastes better compared to HFCS. From what I've read, the Coke with sugar is from Mexico and Canada.

I will open my bottle later today and compare it with the vanilla Coke I usually buy.

Here are two photos of the bottle I bought...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Coke's a little different all around the world, I can tell you that Thai coke is somehow a little smoother than Aussie coke, and they're both sweetened with sugar. I believe it's only in the US that HFCS is used.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Coke's a little different all around the world, I can tell you that Thai coke is somehow a little smoother than Aussie coke, and they're both sweetened with sugar. I believe it's only in the US that HFCS is used.
    Yes, from what I've read, HFCS is used because it's more "stable." Meaning price changes, not stable as in change in taste.

Maybe I'll try to find some Coke bottled in Canada and compare. Costco is said to have the Mexican-bottled Coke.

I also saved a few cans from the mid-'80s. I am going to check and see if sugar was still one of the ingredients back then; I think it was.

Mexican coke is awesome. It's also interesting how different the beer tastes down there vs the stuff imported into the US. It's so much better there.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

My Coke here that I just had a sip of says it has sugar/glucose-fructose, not corn syrup.

I tried some throwback Pepsi a few weeks ago that was made with sugar but I did not taste the difference.

I love the throwback Pepsi's. I buy them by the cases when I can find them. They are kinda scarce and only in cans that i've found. I miss the old coke flavor they had years ago before all the changes. The Pepsi t/b reminds me of those.

You can still buy vanilla Coke? I haven't seen that stuff in stores in ages.

American Coca Cola switches to Sugar around now (during Passover) - that's why the caps are yellow, to denote that they are kosher for the holiday :-p Interesting little side-bit.
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Mexican Coke is sweetened with sugar, a friend of mine down here sells them 1,000 metric tons of sugar a month
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Why does the bottle look so funky? And i always buy throwback Mt. Dew, it tastes a lot better than the regular kind

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrafan427 View Post
    Why does the bottle look so funky? And i always buy throwback Mt. Dew, it tastes a lot better than the regular kind
    Yeah, the bottle looks more narrow than I remember (I remember soft drinks in bottles and well as cans in the late-'60s and early-'70s.)

Okay, I opened the bottle and tried some little while ago.

I do like it better than the U.S. (with HFCS) Coke.

For the last few years, my regular (soft) drink has been vanilla Coke. Someone suggested adding vanilla extract to it in order to enhance the vanilla flavor. That is what I do... add two tablespoons per 12-ounce can.

I think I like that "recipe" best. So what I'll do is keep that as my usual drink and buy the Mexican Coke occasionally for variety.

For the record, I consume soft drinks about 3-4 times per week and only one 12-ounce can (no "refills"). I am not a daily drinker of soft drinks... I think it is more enjoyable when there is a "break" in between.

It could very well be that because you're buying one of the unnaturally sweetened types of Coke (Diet, Coke Zero, Vanilla) that's why it has the HFCS. I know I drink the tradition stuff because the other add ons aren't desireable.

Having said that the mixture is slightly different between Canned, Small bottle & Large Bottle Coke varieties, due to different factories, stability of more/less product...
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    For the record, I consume soft drinks about 3-4 times per week and only one 12-ounce can (no "refills"). I am not a daily drinker of soft drinks... I think it is more enjoyable when there is a "break" in between.
    soft drinks used to be a special occasion kind of thing.. wierd how kids have it everyday now.
    i only drink it occasionally so i don't mind paying extra for the cane sugar varieties
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    soft drinks used to be a special occasion kind of thing.. wierd how kids have it everyday now.
    i only drink it occasionally so i don't mind paying extra for the cane sugar varieties
    Yeah, I saw a poll question in a local newspaper recently. It was a question about a recent article about diet soft drinks. The question was "Do you drink a soft drink daily?"

52% of those who answered said "yes."

Thread Information