Thread: Need help with US mobile phone market.

Need help with US mobile phone market.

A friend of mine is in the States right now and my brother needs a new mobile phone.

I know very well what phones we have here and what they cost.
    But i don't know what's going on on the US market.
    Can you help me find a mobile phone up to $350,00?

-it should be a flipphone/clamshell/folding type phone (don't know the correct term..).
    -it should have a cam (1.3 mpixels if possible)
    -it should be kinda small (no business phone or something freaky like the n-gage)

Please try to post a pic of the phone 'cause we might have other model-codes over here.

Thx for your help!
    You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.

I work for Sprint... you should check us out, we have a mobile phone division - www.sprintpcs.com - you can check out all the phones and features from the site.
    ...Utah! Get me two...

Is this phone for use in the US or International ?
    Do you want/need any "smart" internet and e-mail access - ie fast GPRS or dumb MMS ??

If it was for them to bring back home to Germany for use, then you can generally find the newer gen GPRS/3G phones cheaper here in the UK. AND you need to watch out about unlocking the phones to any network. There may be issues with a US phone - especially some of the newer ones with the emergency location features.
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 02-04-2005 at 07:53 AM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Is this phone for use in the US or International ?
    Do you want/need any "smart" internet and e-mail access - ie fast GPRS or dumb MMS ??

If it was for them to bring back home to Germany for use, then you can generally find the newer gen GPRS/3G phones cheaper here in the UK. AND you need to watch out about unlocking the phones to any network. There may be issues with a US phone - especially some of the newer ones with the emergency location features.
    Nah nothing "smart".
    Most important to him is a good camera and a smal size of the phone.
    It's gonna be used in germany of course. I thought he could save some
    money due to the good (bad) dollar exchange rate.
    You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by andy.muc
    Nah nothing "smart".
    Most important to him is a good camera and a smal size of the phone.
    It's gonna be used in germany of course. I thought he could save some
    money due to the good (bad) dollar exchange rate.
    I advise him not to buy a phone in the US.

They are mostly behind on phones compared to us in Europe. They use different frequencies, there is only one frequency that is used here and there. So you'll end up with a phone that is only half compatible with our networks. If you buy one then do make sure it's a GSM phone. In the states they have other systems like CDMA which are NOT compatible with European networks (or the rest of the world for that matter). Just buy one in Germany. You probably have the cheapest phones in Europe (electronics are mostly cheaper in Germany and you only have 16% VAT). Also most phones in the US need to be aqcuired from your cell phone provider. The market isn't as open. If you want an open market for phones the drive to Belgium. Locked phones are illegal here so every phone you buy will work anywhere.

Thread Information