Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Last minute Koenigsegg, Lamborghini and Porsche news from Geneva ...

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    The difference, as I see it, is that you drive a diesel engine with a focus on keeping the engine at the right level of rev's or within the torque band. This requires focus and skill, but can be seen as a bit pedantic.

The Petrol engine, on the other hand, and for the most part, you simply mash your foot and the faster you rev the higher the power. this is somewhat more intuitive (more pedal = go more) but at the same time it also is somewhat less technical in it's approach.

Not that either approach is ineffective or weaker than the other, but to come at them with the same approach each time is going to leave you unhappy with one side of things.
    See I kind of have the opposite approach to what you describe with most of the diesels I drive. They make power everywhere except maybe right before the redline, depending, so I tend to just mash and go with them. Never driven one of the euro diesels, which I guess explains why I've never had a diesel with a narrow powerband.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

It's all about comparing similar engines. Big with big and small with small. Also, it should be noted that all current diesels are turbocharged so to be fair we should compare turbos to turbos.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    It's all about comparing similar engines. Big with big and small with small. Also, it should be noted that all current diesels are turbocharged so to be fair we should compare turbos to turbos.
    Right, it's just from a driving perspective I'm used to all diesels being around 6L. Hoping to drive a Golf TDI this weekend if the weathers good as I help a friend car shop, so maybe I'll have an idea what you're referring to then.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Thread Information