Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota Supra (A90) 2019-

That's a striking comparison, Duell! There has been so much teased that I forgot how it looked originally. The production version looks like it's been given a facelift, in the surgical sense. Dare I say the prototype looks more Japanese and the production more Germanic?
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Totally unrelated, but I was just watching this on Youtube but it's hilarious that this car has more Supra flavor than the new production car.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRYYX5yGhDE&t=7s"]CA LEGAL 2JZ MUSTANG GT - One Take - YouTube[/ame]

It's not that I think it's super bad, from the rear and rear/side it looks good.
    The car just looks to narrow in my opinion, maybe irl it will look OK?!
    And the front is just WRONG!
    Last edited by Duell; 01-20-2019 at 04:47 AM.

It's too busy. A lot of lines, shapes, creases. Unclean.

You know, with the GT86, new Supra, new NSX, new GT-R, this almost feels like the early 90s again when we had the 3000GT, 240SX, Supra, RX-7, and NSX (I'm leaving out the JDM cars like the GT-R). Why am I not as excited now as I am of those cars? Maybe I'm looking through too much nostalgia?

Or are cars these days far too expensive to enjoy?

I was actually looking at the lines of the Lexus LC500 and they actually look far more Supra-like than I expected.

The strange thing about the Supra is that I see more references to the 2000GT than the A80 Supra, which is weird. The 2000GT is more swoopy, just like this, but this is all too busy.

Maybe because I'm poor and I have no need for a car, that's why I'm grumpy.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    You know, with the GT86, new Supra, new NSX, new GT-R, this almost feels like the early 90s again when we had the 3000GT, 240SX, Supra, RX-7, and NSX (I'm leaving out the JDM cars like the GT-R). Why am I not as excited now as I am of those cars? Maybe I'm looking through too much nostalgia?
    Remember when you were young?

Or are cars these days far too expensive to enjoy?

I was actually looking at the lines of the Lexus LC500 and they actually look far more Supra-like than I expected.

The strange thing about the Supra is that I see more references to the 2000GT than the A80 Supra, which is weird. The 2000GT is more swoopy, just like this, but this is all too busy.

Maybe because I'm poor and I have no need for a car, that's why I'm grumpy.
    They're missing some of the panache of the Bubble Era versions and they're not as good-looking. The 86 and the GT-R are more faithful to their heritage and I think are the stronger for it. The design brief of the new NSX and Supra is much less inspired; the old versions of all of those cars play to the strength of their relative manufacturers; high factor of safety giving plenty of headroom for tuners for the Supra, incredible attention to detail for the NSX, and insane hail-mary tech for the GT-R.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Remember when you were young?
    It's very strange to interact with adults who almost half your age. And quite scary as well. Even stranger as a New Yorker still is meeting an adult who had never experienced 9/11/01 and have never experienced the world prior to it. I think it was a much better, carefree time. I'm tired of American and British politics. Heck, I'm just tired of all politics.

But, I'm going off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    They're missing some of the panache of the Bubble Era versions and they're not as good-looking. The 86 and the GT-R are more faithful to their heritage and I think are the stronger for it. The design brief of the new NSX and Supra is much less inspired; the old versions of all of those cars play to the strength of their relative manufacturers; high factor of safety giving plenty of headroom for tuners for the Supra, incredible attention to detail for the NSX, and insane hail-mary tech for the GT-R.
    Agreed! I think the reason why the Supra and GT-R were so cool is because of their insanely overbuilt I6s which gave them so much character. When you share development with BMW, it seems like they've cheated.

The GT-R and the 370Z are the oldest cars of the current bunch of Japanese cars and even though the 370Z is poor performance for the money you pay, I also agree that they're stronger cars as they're more analogue, like the BRZ.

When you share development with BMW, it seems like they've cheated.
    That is the sentiment that has so many people outraged about the new Supra. Cheated is the word they'd highlight.

I dunno; hopefully it's a peach to drive. It had better be.

Semi-related: Toyota makes it sound like they developed their car separate from the Z4, but I very clearly remember seeing a production-ready Supra prototype cruising through the Mojave desert with a few 3-series in tow.

Also, yikes it's been how many years since my last post!?
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Time flies when you're having fun kotr.

Toyota is just doing marketing speak methinks.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    Semi-related: Toyota makes it sound like they developed their car separate from the Z4, but I very clearly remember seeing a production-ready Supra prototype cruising through the Mojave desert with a few 3-series in tow.

Also, yikes it's been how many years since my last post!?
    I saw some video on Youtube about Toyota developing their Z4 with BMW's Supra, they said they're cousins of each other and so it makes things easier if they bounce ideas off each other when things go wrong.

I can't fault them for that, it makes a lot of sense. I just wish they had done something more along the lines of the GT86. I think a lot of criticism might have been avoided if they just gave it a manual transmission.

Oh yeah, and KOTR, welcome back.

There is a fivefold criticism against the Supra, I think.

The length of the time from initial rumours, to spyshots, to concept, to production, dragged on. The looks are divisive. No manual. Engineering by BMW. Price.

None of this matters if the metal moves on lots, and that's hard to find out. I believe Mustang sales are still doing well in the sport/pony car world, even with everyone and their Millennial cousin buying CUVs, so it's hard to say how well the Supra will do in sales. A lot of Gen-Xers and Millennials who remember the MKIV are entering prime earning years and can afford nice things now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    There is a fivefold criticism against the Supra, I think.

The length of the time from initial rumours, to spyshots, to concept, to production, dragged on. The looks are divisive. No manual. Engineering by BMW. Price.

None of this matters if the metal moves on lots, and that's hard to find out. I believe Mustang sales are still doing well in the sport/pony car world, even with everyone and their Millennial cousin buying CUVs, so it's hard to say how well the Supra will do in sales. A lot of Gen-Xers and Millennials who remember the MKIV are entering prime earning years and can afford nice things now.
    To be fair I feel like the development of the new Acura NSX was also protracted, if not even longer. It also received a lot of criticism for being impure and untrue to its original ethos, and over time criticism kind of mellowed out on it.

Maybe we're being way too hard on the new Supra.

In the end, the NSX became a Japanese Porsche 918 literally at 1/10th the price.

Yeah we are wagging jaws about the Supra, but hopefully it's a peach to drive. That's what matters.

It's easy to be angry in an armchair.

Thread Information