Thread: Prototype F1 A500 - Formula One takes off

Prototype F1 A500 - Formula One takes off

Reportedly, Alpine had tried this engine configuration in the rear of the A110 before undertaking the A500.
    Now THAT is one prototype I'd like to test

Vital statistics

1975. On the initiative of Jean Terramorsi, Renault takes up a new challenge: Formula 1.
    In utmost secrecy, Renault starts work on a prototype. Codename A500. At Viry Châtillon in the suburbs of Paris, Renault Sport develops the Renault Gordini V6 turbocharged engine. No major carmaker involved in Formula One racing had ever taken such a daring gamble before.
    At the same time, Alpine builds a single-seater. This is a single-shell construction, the first chassis of its kind built at the Dieppe plant (France).

23 March 1976. The prototype is taken through its paces on the Michelin track in Clermont-Ferrand (France). Behind the wheel: Jean-Pierre Jabouille.
    May 1976. Renault unveils its prototype, claiming that the A500 is only an experimental single-seater, a "laboratory on wheels" that will never be entered in competition.

July 1976. Renault gives the go-ahead for the creation of a 100% Renault Formula One racing stable. The start of a great adventure.

Data sheet

Name: Renault Proto F1 - A500
    Model year: 1976
    Engine: Renault-Elf-Gordini turbocharged six cylinders V configuration - Bore 80 mm - Stroke 49.4 mm - 1492cc - Power 467 bhp at 10,500 rpm
    Gearbox: Six forward gears and reverse
    Coachwork: Single-seater with rear fin
    Chassis: Single-shell construction
    Dimensions and weight: Length 4.40 m - Width 2.00 m - Height 1.20 m - Weight 560 kg

From http://www.renault.com/gb/passion/co...76_protof1a500
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    Apologies, it was laziness on my part not to add the UCP links at the bottom of each post. I think each of these are already on UCP. I thought the Renault PR line was interesting enough to post in entirety for all the cars
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Apologies, it was laziness on my part not to add the UCP links at the bottom of each post. I think each of these are already on UCP. I thought the Renault PR line was interesting enough to post in entirety for all the cars
    No problem!!

Thread Information