Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some Changes...

Some Changes...

I am planning on some changes with my cars in the next few months and into next year.

First, I'm probably not going to own the '66 Plymouth Fury VIP much longer. I would like to keep it. It's fun to drive and the 383-4 bbl engine has plenty of torque, but owning 4 cars is a little too many for me. 3 is okay; 4 is too many!

I found an invoice for my '69 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham from Feb., 2008 when it had a minor tune-up (points and plugs). Back then, it had 98,409. As of this month, it has 98,663. It has only been driven 254 miles in 4 years! Even I thought it would have been more like 700 or 800 miles. Which shows when you own 4 cars, one or two are not driven much (in my case, that is).

I'll keep the Plymouth a little longer, maybe into next year. And I will resist the temptation to buy another car instead! It would free up some garage space; instead of two cars parked outside, there will be only one.

Second, I may have my '95 Lincoln Town Car repainted. It has been parked on the street most of the time since I bought it in 2006 and the paint is oxidizing or something like that (see photos). And the gray paint never really appealed to me; looks kind of drab. I like the Lincoln burgundy and dark blue from that year. I will probably go with dark blue... I've always wanted to own a blue car. It won't be painted black... I already have two black cars. It won't be a extensive and expensive, just a acceptable paint job for under $1,000. A car guy at the weekly car show had his '66 Chevy Nova (with a Chevy crate 383-cu-in engine) repainted at "One-Day Paint and Body," a discount paint shop. Done in black and it came out very good for a low-cost repaint. It cost about $1,100 and they have sales in which the total price is even less, such as $560 for "Plus 3," which includes a 5-year warranty.

No changes planned for the '69 Cadillac and the '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Kind of a coincidence... my plans of reducing my collection is spreading with some of my Cadillac friends.

One of them wants to sell his '66 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham. We already put an ad in autotrader (I helped him out because is 81 years old and not too familiar with computers). See photos below. I drove it for the first time ever in my neighborhood. I was impressed; a quiet and smooth ride. Rode as smooth as my '69 Fleetwood. For some reason, it didn't seem to have quite the power my '69 has. When I accelerated, it just didn't seem to move out like mine does. His does have the "smaller" 429-cu-in engine whereas mine has the 472.

The other friend has 8 cars (7 Cadillacs and a 2010 Camaro). He wants to sell his '76 Fleetwood Brougham (with only 4,800 miles).

He also has two '68 Fleetwood Broughams for sale. Both dark blue. One has a rebuilt and mildly modified engine. It has the brocade and leather interior. Has about 70,000 miles.

The other he calls a parts car, but it's actually a drivable. car. Leather seats.
    So, let's see who sells a car first!

interesting, what sort of price ideas are you considering?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

henk, yes I can tell you the prices planned...

I figure I'll ask $2,800 for mine. I think that's about what it's worth... it still does have that rust on the right rear just under the trim. Interior is still in good condition. Engine runs well and I did put on a Edelbrock carb. Mileage when I bought it 3 years ago was 89,000; I think it's about 90,500 miles now.

The friend with the '66 Fleetwood Brougham is asking $4,500 but will take $4,000 cash!

The other friend with the low-mileage '76 Fleetwood Brougham (I forgot to mention that it's a d'Elegance) wants quite a bit for it probably due to the low mileage and the good overall condition. He told me $14,000 is his asking price, which is about what he paid for it around 10 years ago. I don't know if he will get that much for it, but maybe.

The '68 Fleetwood with the rebuilt and modded engine will be listed for $8,000 and the parts car for $1,500 (that is what he paid for it). He has not listed any of his cars yet. He told me he will put an ad in the Cadillac-LaSalle club newsletter and in Hemmings magazine. He didn't say when, though!

that really does not sound like much, are these cars still relatively abundant, or is demand really low?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Sounds like someone(s) should buy one and go for a roadtrip...
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    that really does not sound like much, are these cars still relatively abundant, or is demand really low?
    The '66 Plymouth? It's relatively rare but not much demand. Certainly not as much as a muscle car. Maybe I'll ask $3,200 and see what happens!

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    The '66 Plymouth? It's relatively rare but not much demand. Certainly not as much as a muscle car. Maybe I'll ask $3,200 and see what happens!
    I meant the Cadillacs.

I meant the Cadillacs.
    Oh, well the '66 Fleetwood does have a lot of miles on it. The owner said the front seat could use reupholstering. And there are some minor dents on the back, above the taillight.

Demand probably isn't too high for the Cadillacs I mentioned. Not as high as the demand for muscle cars, that's for sure!

I think $8,000 for that '68 Fleetwood with the rebuilt engine is a fair price. Possibly he could get a little more for it. He is going to check a few price guides before listing the price.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Sounds like someone(s) should buy one and go for a roadtrip...
    Someone on this forum?

I meant the Cadillacs.
    An update:

It looks like the friend with the '66 Fleetwood has sold it. To someone in Alabama of all places.

The buyer is a Cadillac, Lincoln and Jaguar fan and has a barn with about 20 cars. He really likes my friend's Cadillac. He said he wants his grandchildren to get a sample of a car like that (he is 71 years old).

The asking price was $4,500 but my friend said, "For you, I'll take $4,000." Once the check clears, the buyer will arrange shipping.

I drove over to my friend's house last Monday and took some more photos before it's gone. I didn't have one of the engine compartment (a 429-cu-in/340 hp engine), so I made sure to get a pic of that. Here are a few of them...

An update.

First, I did sell the '66 Plymouth Fury VIP this week. Had it on autotrader classics for about 3 weeks. Got a few calls; but no serious callers. Then someone called on Wednesday. Asked if he and his brother could drive over from El Monte (about 30 miles away) and check it out. I of course agreed.

They were looking the car over and seemed impressed. They liked the straight body, the solid way the doors and trunk closed and 383 engine.

We started it up and I drove them around in my area. I did pull over and offer for the potential buyer to drive it, too. He said it was not necessary; he said they really like the car. They loved the deep and soft seats, the torque of the big-block engine and the general feel of the car.

Attached are a few "last" photos, including a photo of all four cars together. I had my fun with the Plymouth for about 4 years; time for someone else to enjoy it. I will resist the temptation to buy another car! Three is plenty.

The other news is that I did have the '95 Lincoln Town Car repainted, as I mentioned last year. Went to 1-day paint and body and they did have the color I wanted... '95 Dark Portofino Blue Clearcoat Metallic. I am very satisfied with the results. I like this color much better than the gray it was wearing before. It almost looks like another car and in fact a neighbor walked over while I was taking pics of it and said, "I see you bought another car." The paint job I chose has a 3-year warranty.

The last photo really is a "last" photo. It shows the owner's brother driving the Plymouth out of my driveway.

Sad to see the Fury go, Fleet! Any plans for what's to take its place?
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Sad to see the Fury go, Fleet! Any plans for what's to take its place?
    Well, I'm glad I had the opportunity to drive it for four years.

As mentioned above, no more cars!
    Three is plenty for one person.

If I were to look for another one if would be:

1. This 1969 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine with the landau top option. (See link below.) This one lives somewhere in the mid-west. In Missouri, I believe. But it's not for sale.

2. A 1969 Dodge Coronet. Not the R/T with the 440-4 bbl engine (too expensive). There were "regular" Coronet 440 and 500 models available with the 383-4 bbl. Much less expensive than an R/T. The '69 Coronet weighed about 500 lbs less than my Fury did, so it would move pretty well. Even more so with mods.

But, being practical, I will be glad I own a '69 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, a '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine and the '95 Lincoln Town Car.

1969 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine - The Goethe Collection @ SeeMyCars.com

Another car being repainted. This time, it's the '76 limousine, which has needed a new paint job for quite a while. Has a lot of spider-webbing and faded paint.

Took it to the same place that my '95 Lincoln was painted at. Supposed to take one week and I brought it in last Tuesday. I have a feeling it will take a little longer, but that's okay as long as it's done properly.

With the Lincoln, I chose "Plus 2" (available is Plus 1 through 4). With the limousine, I went with top option, Plus 4, and chose the available color sanding and buffing.

Here are a two "before" photos of it parked next to my '69 Fleetwood Brougham. When both cars are parked side by side, it's easy to tell that the '69 FB has the better paint... for now.

Thread Information