Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Ferrari F40 VS Porsche 959?

Quote Originally Posted by Bleeding Heart View Post
    Not really. I was more talking about the high-speed test @ Nürburgring by AMuS two or three months ago. The CCX didn't even finish the first lap, it crashed right away! The driver said it had to struggle even in the straights to keep the car in line because each and every irregularity on the track's surface disturbed the car's rear stability.

The problem is not too much power for grip, it's too little downforce for power. That's why in a drag race you can't notice that.
    Powered by passion, driven by knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Joao Gois View Post
    Not really. I was more talking about the high-speed test @ Nürburgring by AMuS two or three months ago. The CCX didn't even finish the first lap, it crashed right away! The driver said it had to struggle even in the straights to keep the car in line because each and every irregularity on the track's surface disturbed the car's rear stability.

The problem is not too much power for grip, it's too little downforce for power. That's why in a drag race you can't notice that.
    With that said, the thing that bothers me there is that why doesn't koenigsegg add something like a rear wing to increase the downforce of the car.
    Everything ends at 666...
    666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666

One has been on their option sheet since atleast 2004.

The issues TG had where more due to a rushed build on the car than the wing fixing it.
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

I don't think adding a rear spoiler will do that much difference. The car's behaviour is all too spiky, apparently. I'll upload the article today or tomorrow when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by 60Valves View Post
    On the 959, yes once. At the time I was considering buying one. Very fast, very stable, and not terribly involving. Very much the opposite of the F40 in terms of drama. Personally I did not find it that exciting a car to drive.

One thing that really shocked me was the maintenance costs on the 959 when I went through the history on several (and I am used to Ferrari bills).

Octane magazine had a good article comparing the two about a year ago.
    Ah, ok. Well, whether or not they liked it, I've never heard anyone call an F40 boring. I hope some day I get the chance to drive one, but it's unlikely.

Interesting. I never would have thought that the 959 would have such high maintinance costs (at least not compared to a ferrari.)

I don't think adding a rear spoiler will do that much difference. The car's behaviour is all too spiky, apparently. I'll upload the article today or tomorrow when I get home.
    Properly applied downforce is a beautiful thing.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    Properly applied downforce is a beautiful thing.
    Yes, indeed! The problem is... it's not, in the CCX's case. Even with the rear wing on!

to be honest and correct, grip is generate by the loss between the tire and the ground, multiplied by the force pushing the car to the ground, which is made of the weight of the car plus the downforce generated by the car.
    the downforce increase with speed, and that's (also) why cars spin at lower speeds.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    Ah, ok. Well, whether or not they liked it, I've never heard anyone call an F40 boring. I hope some day I get the chance to drive one, but it's unlikely.
    Sorry if I was not clear, it is the 959 that I was referring to as a bit boring. The F40 is anything but.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    to be honest and correct, grip is generate by the loss between the tire and the ground, multiplied by the force pushing the car to the ground, which is made of the weight of the car plus the downforce generated by the car.
    the downforce increase with speed, and that's (also) why cars spin at lower speeds.
    The downforce only increases with speed if you have the "devices" for it, such as any kind of spoiler or ground-effect ducts. Cause if not, it'll be the opposite way, since a car works more or less like a wing, generating more lift as it increases speed.

The downforce only increases with speed if you have the "devices" for it, such as any kind of spoiler or ground-effect ducts. Cause if not, it'll be the opposite way, since a car works more or less like a wing, generating more lift as it increases speed.
    that's not correct, both drag and downforce increase with speed.
    it's balance between the two, and the car can generate downforce even just with it's shape in the same way it can generate more drag just with a different design without using airplanes' flaps.

It depends on the shape of the car.

If you're talking about the shape of modern family cars, this may be plausible. But then, if we're talking about supercars, this would be somewhat of a stupid idea if the manufacturer was to make the car's shape perform like an aircraft wing. Most of the supercars shape is to increase downforce because they need downforce to go round corners or go fast at straight lines.

I think no manufacturer of Supercars would want their car to do things like what the Mercedes CLR did at LeMans.
    Everything ends at 666...
    666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666

If you're talking about the shape of modern family cars, this may be plausible. But then, if we're talking about supercars, this would be somewhat of a stupid idea if the manufacturer was to make the car's shape perform like an aircraft wing. Most of the supercars shape is to increase downforce because they need downforce to go round corners or go fast at straight lines.

I think no manufacturer of Supercars would want their car to do things like what the Mercedes CLR did at LeMans.
    a few errors:

- Veyron's shape acts like a wing, and Bugatti (VW) had a lot of difficulties due to the fact they first designed the look without considering it was a car and not a sculpture.

- downforce is useless in a stright line if the car doesn't have drag issues as the Veyron (relatively, a car always need downforce because of the pressure that the air speed creates under the car)

- the CLR's accidents were due to a wrong front suspension setup rather than aero issues.

Yes, I meant "normal" cars. The way "supercars" are designed to prevent that is usually with Ventury tunnels to make it reversed-wing shaped, hence increasing the air speed underneath the car and creating depression/suction/downforce.

Hence, It's as wrong to say the downforce increases with speed than to say it decreases. It all depends on the car's shape. There are cars that will produce large amounts of lift (such as the 911, the Audi TT or the Beetle) and others that will produce lots of downforce (Enzo, F430, McLaren F1). And that LeonOfTheDead can't argue against.