Thread: 2012 Indy Car New Design

2012 Indy Car New Design

Many changes coming up for Indy, new car design and various engine suppliers once again.

The new design is very controversial...sort of half open wheel, half not. The nose looks dated in Dallara fashion.

Here's a nice technical article by Marshall Pruett:

AUTO RACING - INDYCAR: Inside The 2012 Dallara
    Attached Images Attached Images

It isn't a particularly good looking semi-openwheeled car.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Its a "spec" car, really couldn't careless how it looks....Now that they've delayed the intro for custom aero kits from 3rd party designs its just going to be another year of same-old....

At least they have different engine suppliers I guess.

Its a good way to prevent inter-locking wheels with the mock fender, just maybe they can look a bit better...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

I thought the Indy car were boring in person last week at Mid Ohio.

They all look and sound identical and they meld into one monotone drone after a few laps.

On TV not so bad. They need something to create interest but I don't know if the new design will be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    I thought the Indy car were boring in person last week at Mid Ohio.

They all look and sound identical and they meld into one monotone drone after a few laps.

On TV not so bad. They need something to create interest but I don't know if the new design will be enough.
    Imagine what they'd be like on an oval, ugh. That makes me wonder if F1 would be the same way, even tho there's a good variety of engines, they rev so high that they produce the same sounds. Anyone been to a modern F1 race and can elaborate?

F1 cars in general can be described as LOUD.....10-12k rev cars are pretty loud, but the 18k car is really, really loud....There is some difference in sound by you need to pay a lot of attention to it....I suppose this year may have more variety since it also kinda depends on how they route their exhaust for the underbody blowing...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

I've been to two F1 races...neither time did I get bored...way more exciting cars.

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    F1 cars in general can be described as LOUD.....10-12k rev cars are pretty loud, but the 18k car is really, really loud....There is some difference in sound by you need to pay a lot of attention to it....I suppose this year may have more variety since it also kinda depends on how they route their exhaust for the underbody blowing...
    Also, if you the same engineering solutions cars are bound to sound very similar. This doesn't happen in GT cars where a Corvette sounds very different from a Porsche which in turns sounds very different from a Ferrari.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

To add to Dino's point, F1 cars also moves like nothing you see in any other racing, as they are clearly faster driving around the bends and brakes at some insane deceleration.

The current crop of Indy Car is barely faster than ALMS P1 cars and a lot more boring looking, which adds to the dullness...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Yes, people don't realize the current Indy car is a pig on road courses.

The 2012 car has been reported faster already.

Its supposed to be lighter, more downforce, and runs carbon brakes even on road courses(current car runs steel item for road course, carbon for oval), so that should be the recipe for much faster car....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Indy racing needs to go back to the 60s and 70s where you can make a car with 6 wheels and an engine from a jet plane. If they could do that my whole family and I would watch it way more. It's just gotten way to predictable and not exciting enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrafan427 View Post
    Imagine what they'd be like on an oval, ugh. That makes me wonder if F1 would be the same way, even tho there's a good variety of engines, they rev so high that they produce the same sounds. Anyone been to a modern F1 race and can elaborate?
    I went to all of the US GP's in Indianapolis, and I never got bored with them. They are very loud and very fast and the quick acceleration and deceleration were amazing to see for me. Also, my seat for every race was down by turn 1 where there was some passing and cars coming out of the pits. It was also nice because I could see turns 1-6 if I remember right, so I was able to see and hear them for a good bit of time each lap. The year only six cars ran got boring because there wasn't close racing going on.

Thread Information