Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Aston Martin power for new Lola LMP1 Coupe

They only ran it very briefly I believe, I can't recall what the site I got it from anymore though. The weight effect is significant if you think about it, 2 extra camshaft, bearings, valvetrain...etc, and most of these parts are likely to be steel instead of other material, and all on top of the engine.....

Back in those days flat engine like Porsche's are also difficult to package as they take up too much room in the back, room for the all important underbody tunnels on group C car. So much so that even Porsche needed to tilt the engine in the longitudinal direction by 7degrees....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    They only ran it very briefly I believe, I can't recall what the site I got it from anymore though. The weight effect is significant if you think about it, 2 extra camshaft, bearings, valvetrain...etc, and most of these parts are likely to be steel instead of other material, and all on top of the engine.....

Back in those days flat engine like Porsche's are also difficult to package as they take up too much room in the back, room for the all important underbody tunnels on group C car. So much so that even Porsche needed to tilt the engine in the longitudinal direction by 7degrees....
    They tried it at Brands Hatch in 1988 in the XJR9- a third entry for John Watson/Davy Jones using the DOHC 48-valve version of the V12. It gave a useful power advantage (one figure I've seen quoted is 798bhp, with a later- unraced- development version giving 830bhp, compared to approx 750bhp for the normal SOHC 7-litre version of the V12 used in Group C) but was more difficult to drive and slower than the regular SOHC cars

Right at the beginning of the programme, TWR also apparently tested a different DOHC 6-litre version of the V12 in one of the American Group 44 chassis- From what I've read the DOHC heads etc added an extra 30kg weight. If the later DOHC version added a similar amount of weight, it's no surprise that it affected the handling of the car... The Jag V12's anything but compact to start with- it's long, tall with a high CofG and heavy- early 6.2 litre Group C versions apparently weighed about 250kg- later versions were a little lighter. You can imagine the effect of hanging another 30 kilos or so on the top end....
    Last edited by invicta2007; 02-09-2008 at 04:22 AM.

I knew someone else had to know the specific....thanks for the info....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Here is a small clip of the car and also the V8 Vantage mule:

YouTube - Aston Martin & Le Mans Testing @ Snetterton
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

The black Lola looks very short
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

And very, very cool.

Thread Information