Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Looking Sedan of all time

Kolkata-7th largest city in the world, still back of beyond
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    The 30's are the peak for automotive styling. In fact those weren't just automobiles. They were sculptures.
    And the 80s were the nadir. I just hate the boxy design. Square cars. Rectangular headlights. Not a single curve that can seduce you. Hell even Porsches became boxy.
    A bad day at the race track beats a good day at the office any time.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    +1 on that. Interesting that the very beginning of when automobiles were beginning to be styled rather than simply designed could also be the apogee.
    Also no regulation whatsoever, no concern for aerodynamics of for being green. Altough with cars like the Talbot-Lago T150SS Gotte d'Eau who needs aerodynamics at all...
    Quote Originally Posted by debangshu24 View Post
    And the 80s were the nadir. I just hate the boxy design. Square cars. Rectangular headlights. Not a single curve that can seduce you. Hell even Porsches became boxy.
    The 80's have interesting attributes. Just styling isn't one of them.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

A few '80s era sedans stand out for me:

I remember walking around Mercedes-Benz W124 and drinking in the carefully crafted shape, how they managed to attain such a low cD (.285 from memory) within a conventional 3-box sedan while still presenting an appealing style, which is very subtly presented. It looked terrific in its day, and still pleases me now.

In similar style the little Benz W201 is a really neat design, great stance and proportions.

The BMW E34 is no knock-out raging beauty, but not ugly by any means - a very presentable effort imo.

Holden's VN (Commodore) but in particular the Calais V8 is a very cleanly styled big sedan, a nicely crafted 'aero streamliner' and imo much better proportioned than the donor Opel.

In pure aesthetic terms I reckon the Ford Falcon EA was and remains a genuine excellent looking sedan, most especially the near-base 'S' version - to my eyes the most attractive sedan of the 1980s. I'm not falling into the parochial or nationalistic trap here, I think EA really was 'just right' for its time and btw quitely lauded in the world industry. Clean details front and rear, great profile, big greenhouse including the very deep rear window and low, flat bootline - attractive throughout, and from any angle! Far better resolved than the mediocre UK Ford Scorpio, cleaner & prettier than the (not unattractive) Thunderbird coupe. Interestingly its neither macho or feminine - a very elusive thing to achieve. Its a pity most of you haven't been able to see and appreciate the EA S 'in the metal' - no visual 'conflict' to the design and not a line out of place anywhere imo.

I can't understand why anyone would (or could) adjudge any of these above sedans as unattractive or lacking in 'style'
    Last edited by nota; 10-08-2009 at 03:00 PM.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Also no regulation whatsoever, no concern for aerodynamics of for being green. Altough with cars like the Talbot-Lago T150SS Gotte d'Eau who needs aerodynamics at all...
    Eh, green...and regulations. You know where I stand on that. Though the 30's were obsessed with streamlining...it didn't take off so well on automobiles. Evidence: Chrysler Airflow. But the era gave us some amazing looking trains, plains, and yes, even the Airstream travel trailer.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Personally I think the original Jaguar XJ sedans were the best looking of all time, the Series II and newer with the smaller grill and lower hood (or bonnet) are very much preferred over the Series I. The Mark II also merits mentioning.

Lately I have been obsessing with the '59-'60 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham: cc11773.jpg

Design by a couple of Caddy people but built by Pininfarina in Italy. A big money loser for GM.
    Last edited by Rizaven; 10-21-2009 at 12:36 AM.

Jaguar's Series 1 XJ6 SWB was an extremely attractive car in its day, and carries that through into the now.

Imo the S3 is also a real looker (thanks to Pininfarina) but the S2 was and remains the less graceful 'ugly triplet' in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Jaguar's Series 1 XJ6 SWB was an extremely attractive car in its day, and carries that through into the now.

Imo the S3 is also a real looker (thanks to Pininfarina) but the S2 was and remains the less graceful 'ugly triplet' in comparison.
    I personally think the Series 2 is the best looking original XJ, then the Series 1 and the Series 3 a distant third. The X308 deserves a mention too.
    Visca Catalunya!

Personally, I think the generic Jaguar XJ sedans (untill the new bodystyle came out) have always been the best looking sedans out there. I think the old ones still look good and i think the newer ones look even better. its a timeless look that will never stop looking elegant and sharp
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    Personally, I think the generic Jaguar XJ sedans (untill the new bodystyle came out) have always been the best looking sedans out there. I think the old ones still look good and i think the newer ones look even better. its a timeless look that will never stop looking elegant and sharp
    Not the two words that pop into my mind when I see a jaguar XJ.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post
    Not the two words that pop into my mind when I see a jaguar XJ.
    yeah i asked some friends of mine this question today and they looked at me like i was crazy. maybe im the only person who thinks jags used to be gorgeous
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

I could understand elegent, But sharp?

when I think of the jaguars.. I see tweed jackets, golf clubs and boiled candy.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

when I think of the jaguars.. I see tweed jackets, golf clubs and boiled candy.
    Drive one.
    Visca Catalunya!

I personally think the Series 2 is the best looking original XJ, then the Series 1 and the Series 3 a distant third. The X308 deserves a mention too.
    Ok, interesting, and I do agree with you on the X308 (had to look that up!) which is a fave of mine too and in many ways a real tempter - at least before they slapped on those hideous 'gills'

It was pretty damn sharp for 1968, let me say!

1968 !! Can you think of any other sedan of that time which was anywhere near as sexy?

Sharp enough to deserve & excuse these big pics, imho. When I first saw the original XJ6 it blew my mind how attractive they were.

Jaguar had somehow managed to meld its traditional seductive look into this stunningly contemporary style - just WOW!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Im sure in 1968 it was, However I wasnt born for another 20 years.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Thread Information