Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas Saving Techniques?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSubaruSTi
    i heard from an unreliable source that ignition uses as much gas as 5 minutes of idling
    Only on a badly setup engine.
    Was partly true before the days of injection and ECUs when carbs tended to flood the chambers on the inital air surge and puddled fuel in the inlet manifolds.
    With GDI, it's not.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Best way to save fuel- get out and push yourself to the top of a hill

I hear the flinstones method works great.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

This is kinda unrelated but i wonder how many mpg a person would get if he could turn gas into energy?

Going back to the train question, my IC engines prof a year ago said that fords use as much as 10x the fuel of stoichiometric charge, so if we say you take a second to start the engine, I guess it would the train would have to be longer than about 10 seconds for it to be beneficial to turn your engine off.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv
    I hear the flinstones method works great.
    Haha, A+

Keeping it in gear as long as possible when you come up to a stop insetad of going to neutral or putting the clutch is sposed to save a bit
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t
    A great gas saving technique is to tailgate a large truck or coach, you'll massive mpg but risk dying when he brakes.
    ahahahahaahah i do that. its like nascar

Quote Originally Posted by QBridge
    ahahahahaahah i do that. its like nascar
    I hope you don't meet with the same amount of crashes NASCAR normally does. This is the most stupid way of saving gas, as you will no idea what is happening in front of the truck you are tailgating.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    I hope you don't meet with the same amount of crashes NASCAR normally does. This is the most stupid way of saving gas, as you will no idea what is happening in front of the truck you are tailgating.
    It is stupid but on an empty road can be safe because unless your brakes are gone your stopping distance will be MUCH shorter than a loaded truck's. If you know the road and there's little traffic, you just need to give yourself enough space to react if the truck were to brake hard.

drive less. ride a bike more.
    pondering things

Quote Originally Posted by targa
    drive less. ride a bike more.
    Done and done . 8 bikes, 2 cars in this household (public transport is good too).

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    It is stupid but on an empty road can be safe because unless your brakes are gone your stopping distance will be MUCH shorter than a loaded truck's. If you know the road and there's little traffic, you just need to give yourself enough space to react if the truck were to brake hard.
    It has NOTHING to do with overal stopping distance !!!

It has ONLY to do with the reduction in speed the truck can undertake during your THINKING DISTANCE. That is the distance you'll cover before to 1/2 -> 1 sec it takes for the brain to recognise the brake lights and take action. IF you're not covering the brake pedal with your foot then it's ANOTHER second in time to.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    It has NOTHING to do with overal stopping distance !!!

It has ONLY to do with the reduction in speed the truck can undertake during your THINKING DISTANCE. That is the distance you'll cover before to 1/2 -> 1 sec it takes for the brain to recognise the brake lights and take action. IF you're not covering the brake pedal with your foot then it's ANOTHER second in time to.
    dude u got some crappy reflexes if it takes u 2 seconds to do that

i think im within half a second for something i dont expect, for something i do expect like a light turning green im on the gas so fast you cant even get the "bur" out of burnout

regarding my prev post i may get on the gas fast but i pay attention to the side roads b4 just takin off, people DO run red lights and ive driven alot ALOT safer since my lil accident ... ****ing hell i cant believe i backed into my friend's eclipse

i didnt see it in the rear view cuz it was lowered and by the time i looked back to double check as i was backin out i hit the bumper ... freakin hell i was more upset about it then he was, lost like all confidence

good thing it just needs a respray, otherwise id gone broke

Thread Information